Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumor: 747 B/E seat reduction

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2014, 3:29 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Sharing a hot tub with the most senior FAs like Bob? I don't think so.
Oh my!

Is Bob still working MSP-NRT?

Oh, and, please, I REALLY REALLY want my 1970s (747 upper decks) back!

Old Apr 3, 2014, 3:39 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
Oh, and, please, I REALLY REALLY want my 1970s (747 upper decks) back!
You'd have to grow an afro, a mustache and wear bell-bottoms to get into this new, all-smoking area...
Old Apr 3, 2014, 3:49 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by florin
You'd have to grow an afro, a mustache and wear bell-bottoms to get into this new, all-smoking area...
(a) I already have a Jew-fro.
(b) I only shave every few days.
(c) I smoke cigars and cigarillos on a daily basis.
(d) Do True Religion jeans count?

and Canarsie will vouch for the fact; that I am quite unkempt.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 5:52 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
I have been doing everything possible to keep flying the 744 UD but I will abandon extreme measures if 73A becomes a faint memory.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by NWAFA
I got the info from a pilot.

NWA FA
Info the other thread sources came from a pilot as well, so seems to be the same/similar source. Hoping we can get an 'official' word from DL either way. Definitely a huge disappointment if they do away with the upper deck and turn it into the overhead space lacking claustrophobic cabin.

If we're talking 50Y or 42-44EC it almost sounds more like a 3x2 arrangement. Either way, 3 across up there would be nasty.

Wouldn't that make DL one of the only airlines to stick coach seats upstairs instead of having that for business or first? I think AF is the only other one that squishes pax up there. Certainly not becoming of a "world class" product, nor an "elite" or "exclusive" experience.

Honestly it sounds more like something RyanAir would do if they had a 747.

EDIT: Looks like Virgin Atlantic is the only other one... they put some Y seats upstairs behind the emergency exits along with their business class seats.

Last edited by rylan; Apr 3, 2014 at 6:39 am
Old Apr 3, 2014, 7:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by Xeno
I have been doing everything possible to keep flying the 744 UD but I will abandon extreme measures if 73A becomes a faint memory.
My personal fav is 80K. absolute privacy. Not only are you on the UD but there is no one to the left of you.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 8:11 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by cfw
I know they mentioned they wanted to "right size" international BE, but that seems like a bad move. Why go all the way down to Y instead of at least trying out a true premium economy cabin like AF and getting more margin out of the aircraft?
I think most of us would love to see this option. That being said, it would not really work to roll it out on just one aircraft....an aircraft that they don't have that many of. But maybe they could think about this on the 777 also as they rip out those BE seats.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 8:22 am
Suspended

Programs: DM
Seems that Delta is looking for the tipping point between profits and BE travelers. EC is a moneymaker at the expense reducing BE seating in the 777 and 747, which should result in driving the cost of BE up. As loyal as I am to Delta, there is a point that what they offer in international BE doesn't jive with what they charge.

I spend enough of my life on airplanes that it isn't just a seat to a destination, and the experience and surroundings begin to matter. If the investment is in Y, and not improving, but charging more for the current BE experience, than One World begins to look more attractive.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 10:04 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by cfw
Why go all the way down to Y instead of at least trying out a true premium economy cabin like AF and getting more margin out of the aircraft?
There are probably many reasons, but, I think the simplest reason would be, that there are only, what, 16 - B744s? On a few recent Asia itineraries, I've had a number of aircraft flip-flops between B744, B777 & A330s, so if they offer and sell seats in an entirely new cabin that's only offered on a few planes, then they have a swap, I could see it leading to a customer service disaster.

. . . . . . but, then again, aircraft type changes are rare, right?
Old Apr 3, 2014, 11:42 am

Programs: Former PM now a kettle :(
Originally Posted by mikepa
In what way was the DL UD way better? The CZ service is a bit hit and miss, but the hard product is very similar and in fact I'd say the CZ hard product was a bit better. If only CZ would send their staff to SQ school, they would be on a winner.
I only meant that the smaller less crowded cabin DL UD was much more inviting/relaxing IMO. Completely agree about the CZ service but liked the open/pour yourself bar.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 2:35 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Platinum
Please please no. At least wait until I can get my kid into one of these UD BE seats.

If this goes through, I'll have to burn some major $$$s to get him into the UD of a 747.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 2:49 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rylan
Info the other thread sources came from a pilot as well, so seems to be the same/similar source. Hoping we can get an 'official' word from DL either way. Definitely a huge disappointment if they do away with the upper deck and turn it into the overhead space lacking claustrophobic cabin.

If we're talking 50Y or 42-44EC it almost sounds more like a 3x2 arrangement. Either way, 3 across up there would be nasty.

Wouldn't that make DL one of the only airlines to stick coach seats upstairs instead of having that for business or first? I think AF is the only other one that squishes pax up there. Certainly not becoming of a "world class" product, nor an "elite" or "exclusive" experience.

Honestly it sounds more like something RyanAir would do if they had a 747.

EDIT: Looks like Virgin Atlantic is the only other one... they put some Y seats upstairs behind the emergency exits along with their business class seats.
Virgin Atlantic out of LAS to LGW is EC and economy only in the upper deck. So if you're flying in upper class you're not on the upper deck.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 7:39 pm

Has this been confirmed?
I was ready to pull trigger on Z to MNL in October ..... DL was my choice mostly as a chance to ride upper deck on 747 before theyre gone.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 8:24 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Deadtail
Seems that Delta is looking for the tipping point between profits and BE travelers. EC is a moneymaker at the expense reducing BE seating in the 777 and 747, which should result in driving the cost of BE up. As loyal as I am to Delta, there is a point that what they offer in international BE doesn't jive with what they charge.

I spend enough of my life on airplanes that it isn't just a seat to a destination, and the experience and surroundings begin to matter. If the investment is in Y, and not improving, but charging more for the current BE experience, than One World begins to look more attractive.
+1. This exactly, especially for those who fly TPACS.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 7:51 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
I was chatting to a friend of mine who is a DL FA and they asked me to post this on their behalf -

"I have read through this entire thread - and I can say, it is true.

I am a FA and fly the 747 regularly. We started hearing this from our pilots a little before this thread was started. They did receive a memo about it. Apparently the reconfig will start in September - though I am not clear on the exact number of EC seats. When I first started to hear this, I thought surely it must be a rumor, since it sounded so ridiculous. We just spent a lot of money reconfiguring our 747s - and now this? But like many of you here, unfortunately that Delta would do this does not surprise me.

The pilots I have spoken with are not happy about it due to flight deck security concerns. We FAs are not happy about it because like you, we view the UD as a very desirable product for our HVCs, especially those who fly our 747 regularly. Those of us who fly the same routes have gotten to know many of our UD HVCs and know they request specific seats - and will be very unhappy about this change. That we are retiring our 747s as they come up for their D checks only makes this more of a waste. I am sure some bean counter has figured out it will be worth it somehow - but there must be a value on lost revenue due to unhappy HVCs.

While it may not help, I would encourage all HVCs who are unhappy with this to please write the company. They don't listen to us (employees) but maybe they will listen to you."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.