Wiki Posts
Search

Rumor: 747 B/E seat reduction

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2014, 9:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by southern242
From a security stand point, it increases the risk of a cockpit intrusion.
Horse hockey.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by pbarnette
Horse hockey.
^ I agree, absolutely doesn't make sense unless you believe that all 66 people will try and get into the cockpit.

Post 9/11 passengers are quite likely to be the ones that stop any incident on board. If this holds true in a "rush the cockpit" scenario the more friendly people on the upper deck the better.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by phenobarbital
^ I agree, absolutely doesn't make sense unless you believe that all 66 people will try and get into the cockpit.

Post 9/11 passengers are quite likely to be the ones that stop any incident on board. If this holds true in a "rush the cockpit" scenario the more friendly people on the upper deck the better.
I don't understand why plane drivers feel the need to misrepresent security concerns (I suspect it has something to do with attempts to extract more money from the airlines), but they routinely do. This is another prime example of that.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 2:18 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Southern242, thanks for letting us know. I will certainly write in. I'm not really the most valuable customer, but at least I'm a medallion writing in.

A
Old Apr 12, 2014, 4:16 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
I am the Delta B747 captain that started this post. The rumor started as a result of a bulletin that was sent to B747 pilots. Time frame for swap out of seats is this summer. I was told by another B747 captain that the actual number of seats on the upper deck was going to be 66 economy comfort.

The reason that the flight crews are upset is because 4 1/2 times more people on the upper deck means more noise, less chance to obtain quality crew rest for the landing crew, and a harder time gaining access to the cockpit. From a security stand point, it increases the risk of a cockpit intrusion. Unfortunately this decision is driven by marketing, not security or the wishes of our High Value customers.
Thanks for this clarification. I keep hoping that this decision is not final so there is still time to make a case against this possible disaster.

Not only is 73A my favorite seat in all of DL - I have my first 333 flight in two weeks - but I can't say enough about how great the atmosphere is in the UD with some of the best FA service in memory and how nice to have an occasional chat with a pilot. Then there are practical things like easy access to lavs and I often am the first or third person actually off the 744 at our destination.

Originally Posted by Bonheur
Xeno, and others, I would encourage you all to write to Delta and voice your opinion. It might not help, but it can't hurt. I am a delta FA and I am very upset about this prospect. Not because it would make my job harder ( because UD is still a nice place to work, regardless) but because i know how much our HVCs value the UD.) I have stated on the other thread that this is a very real possibility but as far as I know (and maybe Southern242 can elaborate) the memo states it is a possibility - not that it has been decided. At least that was the last I saw.

Maybe it's not too late to let your voices be heard.
I will register my displeasure today. I suppose I just use the DL online form as I do not know an email address that would be more direct.

Although I am DM (close to 2MM), I do not qualify as a true HVC but this decision by DL will impact my future purchases.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 6:44 am

Programs: Delta DM 3+MM
I just flew in to Singapore and on the 747 UD JFK to NRT, FA said she was told about the change; then flying from NRT to SIN, (not a 747), FA said she heard the same. So…hope this will change. Surely Delta cares about their clients and will not make this change. Wishful thinking, right?
Old Apr 12, 2014, 7:24 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
It would be a shame -- my first trip upstairs was LAX-HNL, the middle leg of MSP-LAX-HNL-SYD on the NW inaugural flight to SYD back in 1991, I think. I was booked in coach but a friendly agent at the Roseville CTO noted that because of the fare construction she could put me upstairs on the 747-400 LAX-HNL but not HNL-SYD.
If the change does happen, I may have lucked out with a trip to ICN in early June. DTW-ICN is showing a 747 with BE upstairs and so far I'm the only person sitting up there.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 8:35 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
I sure hoe it doesn't change between now and 12 June. I have 3 flights in the UD scheduled!
Old Apr 12, 2014, 9:38 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Xeno
I will register my displeasure today. I suppose I just use the DL online form as I do not know an email address that would be more direct.
Does anyone have a good email address that we could use and get others on the forum to use as well?
Old Apr 12, 2014, 10:08 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
I am the Delta B747 captain that started this post. The rumor started as a result of a bulletin that was sent to B747 pilots. Time frame for swap out of seats is this summer. I was told by another B747 captain that the actual number of seats on the upper deck was going to be 66 economy comfort.

The reason that the flight crews are upset is because 4 1/2 times more people on the upper deck means more noise, less chance to obtain quality crew rest for the landing crew, and a harder time gaining access to the cockpit. From a security stand point, it increases the risk of a cockpit intrusion. Unfortunately this decision is driven by marketing, not security or the wishes of our High Value customers.
Wow. 66 can fit up there?

My next chance to ride the 744 is in September. I hope my plane still has BE on the UD. It'll be my last chance to fly it.

Registering our displeasure will do absolutely nothing. DL doesn't care about its customers. Any of them. (Except Amex, their biggest customer.) Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 10:21 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by pbarnette
I don't understand why plane drivers feel the need to misrepresent security concerns (I suspect it has something to do with attempts to extract more money from the airlines), but they routinely do. This is another prime example of that.
I don't understand why supercilious know-it-alls feel the need to substitute a made-up title for others' occupations solely for the purpose of insulting them (I suspect it has something to do with attempts to extract pleasure from putting others down), but they routinely do. This is another prime example of that.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 11:25 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by HongKonger
I don't understand why supercilious know-it-alls feel the need to substitute a made-up title for others' occupations solely for the purpose of insulting them (I suspect it has something to do with attempts to extract pleasure from putting others down), but they routinely do. This is another prime example of that.
The bigger question is why do the mods do nothing and do not simply ban for good such users, who have nothing but baseless conjectures, insults and personal attacks to contribute to FT (thus resulting in more and more users simply blocking them, since the mods are not doing their job and banning such abusive and disrespectful users).
Old Apr 12, 2014, 11:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I heard today from a credible source that the project has been thrown out. Apparently the 747s only have about 5 more years of life and the numbers wouldn't make sense to put them through another mod. So it doesn't sound like this change is actually going to happen. Would be nice to hear an official word from DL but then again they never even announced they were considering it - it was just a rumor that appeared to have some truth behind it as many people reported pilots and crew talking about it.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HongKonger

My next chance to ride the 744 is in September. I hope my plane still has BE on the UD. It'll be my last chance to fly it.
Doesn't sound like anything will be happening so you'll have another ~5 years to enjoy the upper deck in business class on the 747
Old Apr 12, 2014, 12:16 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler
I heard today from a credible source that the project has been thrown out. Apparently the 747s only have about 5 more years of life and the numbers wouldn't make sense to put them through another mod. So it doesn't sound like this change is actually going to happen. Would be nice to hear an official word from DL but then again they never even announced they were considering it - it was just a rumor that appeared to have some truth behind it as many people reported pilots and crew talking about it.
I welcome this news but am still skeptical considering the numerous reports of information to the contrary. Could you please clarify what makes your source more credible than the others?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.