Rumor: 747 B/E seat reduction

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2014, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
Rumor: 747 B/E seat reduction

Taken from a pilot forum:

Originally Posted by APC Forums
This September, the 747 upper deck seats will be removed and replaced with 60 Comfort Econ seats. Mods to be quick and all air frames done inside four months, or so they say. Crews coming out of the bunk, trying to use the biffy before going up front are going to cause a small riot! Total seating to be in the 430 range!

Forget non-reving in FC anymore...
I love the last line

Hopefully just a rumor...
Old Mar 20, 2014, 4:21 pm

There are many reasons why this is probably not true, but if it is - WOW
Old Mar 20, 2014, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Is there even room to get 60 Economy Comfort seats in the upper deck? I know AF fits 60 regular economy seats in there.

This would seem to be a very low F:Y ratio. Even the high density 763s are 11.5% J. This would put the 747s around 8.1%.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes
Is there even room to get 60 Economy Comfort seats in the upper deck? I know AF fits 60 regular economy seats in there.
That was my thought, as well.

I have no idea if this is true, but I won't out much stock in a post that calls the product 'Comfort Econ' and refers to the 747 as having 'FC'.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Kinda of hard to believe that one, especially with the upper deck really being the popular area that generally gets filled first from paying pax. I don't see how they could physically fit 60 EC seats up there either. Would turn the 747 from a dream into a nightmare, as well have an abysmal F/Y ratio. Would certainly guarantee that you won't be able to use your global certs on that plane.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by rylan
Would certainly guarantee that you won't be able to use your global certs on that plane.
Are you trying to convince me that this is for real?
Old Mar 20, 2014, 7:17 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by rylan
Would certainly guarantee that you won't be able to use your global certs on that plane.
And now we can expect (some variation of) this reconfig to happen
Old Mar 20, 2014, 7:31 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
sounds to me like just a rumor, but. given what DAL has been up to lately it sounds like something they would do...
Old Mar 20, 2014, 7:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
If they were going to remove BE seats and add economy seats then I think the upper deck would make the most sense. There's got to be a lot of wasted space up there with just a 1 X 1 layout. I think it would also be the easiest to reconfigure. On the main deck they would potentially have to shuffle around more seats, closets, etc.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 8:26 pm
Used to be 'jwienner'

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Sigh. This is a new approach to FCM
Old Mar 20, 2014, 8:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by HatAndJacket
sounds to me like just a rumor, but. given what DAL has been up to lately it sounds like something they would do...
you took the words right out of my mouth. This is definitely something Delta would do. They removed a bunch of BE seats from the T7's so why not from the 74's? Someone realized that there is a bunch of wasted space up there. Sure, the 1-1 is nice. I have been up there on plenty of flights. You can't beat it. Nothing comes close to the experience. I could definitely see DL taking away BE from the UD. In fact, my money is on DL removing the seats.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Sad day.

On a more practical note, wouldn't there be a lack of overhead bin space up there for 60 Economy/Economy Comfort seats? I seem to remember the bins up there being smaller than the ones downstairs, as I had to put in my carry on bag wide side in to get it to fit (where it fits in wheels first on a 737).
Old Mar 20, 2014, 8:43 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Don't forget that AF has 60 Y seats on the UD of their B744s. I'm not sure if 60 of Delta's EconomyComfort seats would fit up there.

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Air...ng_747-400.php

Whoops! I see Java's already on it!

Last edited by davetravels; Mar 20, 2014 at 8:48 pm
Old Mar 20, 2014, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are the AF seats slimline? If not, perhaps that could be part of the difference.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 8:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by davetravels
I'm not sure if 60 of Delta's EconomyComfort seats would fit up there.
Perhaps the Economy and Economy Comfort product is being enhanced. Economy gets reduced to 30 inches of pitch and Economy Comfort will now be marketed as "81 Centimeters of Extra Space to Stretch Out". Taking Economy Comfort down to 32 inches pitch should get 60 seats on the upper deck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.