Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumor: 747 B/E seat reduction

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2014, 12:39 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by lamont2718
I welcome this news but am still skeptical considering the numerous reports of information to the contrary. Could you please clarify what makes your source more credible than the others?
I am skeptical of the entire thing.

If Delta was evaluating this as an option, thats one thing. But if it was an idea, then they decided it was not worth it, why the heck would they be informing pilots of a random potential plan that hadnt been fully committed to?

I'd imagine they would have been informing mechanics, maintenance crews, consulting with HVCs (email surveys and what not). Not to say that pilots shouldnt be made aware of changes like this, but i just find it suspicious that they would be the ONLY ones DL told they were thinking about making this change.

Originally Posted by southern242
From a security stand point, it increases the risk of a cockpit intrusion.
Ignoring the total BS side of this for a moment, statistically wouldnt a 747 pilot still be almost the safest form this? sure 14->66 seats means more people, but at the same time, every other plane has hundreds on the 'same level' as the cockpit providing basically the same ease of access....

Last edited by xolinlevh; Apr 12, 2014 at 12:45 pm
Old Apr 12, 2014, 12:57 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by Pharaoh
I sure hoe it doesn't change between now and 12 June. I have 3 flights in the UD scheduled!
If DL does this change and does so by June I want to know now so I can change my TLV flight to AMM.

Also, like jdrtravel, I would like an appropriate email address since the online form usually generates an auto-email where my message is not read, understood, and certainly not forwarded to the correct place until I reply.

Last edited by Xeno; Apr 12, 2014 at 1:04 pm
Old Apr 12, 2014, 1:01 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler
I heard today from a credible source that the project has been thrown out. Apparently the 747s only have about 5 more years of life and the numbers wouldn't make sense to put them through another mod. So it doesn't sound like this change is actually going to happen. Would be nice to hear an official word from DL but then again they never even announced they were considering it - it was just a rumor that appeared to have some truth behind it as many people reported pilots and crew talking about it.
If so, that is wonderful news - and it certainly makes sense, as why spend so much $$, and take the planes out of rotation, to rip out the expensive new BE seats put in just a year or so after that was done, when the remaining service life of the aircraft is nearing its end.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 1:03 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by xolinlevh

Ignoring the total BS side of this for a moment, statistically wouldnt a 747 pilot still be almost the safest form this? sure 14->66 seats means more people, but at the same time, every other plane has hundreds on the 'same level' as the cockpit providing basically the same ease of access....
I am just curious if you have flown the 744 UD. The question here might not be how this compares to the other DL widebodies but what a dramatic change this would be for the 744.

I can't put myself in the place of someone trying to gain access to the cockpit of any of DL's planes, but the 744 pilots benefit from intruders having to come up the stairs past FAs at the bottom and top of the stairs. This, in some ways is not unlike what a potential intruder would face coming up from behind the first section of BE in the 767s, 777s, and 330s.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
Exactly. If it was such a security issue, wouldn't a 77W or A346 be basically a terrorist tube, and all the pilots avoid them like the plague in favor of smaller equipment?
Old Apr 12, 2014, 3:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by sky303
Exactly. If it was such a security issue, wouldn't a 77W or A346 be basically a terrorist tube, and all the pilots avoid them like the plague in favor of smaller equipment?
I generally don't think the security thing is a real issue for BE vs. Y on the UD. However, there is the argument about crowding near the forward lav. When you have a crowd of people it's easier to hide things, and for a FAM to not see something. Therefore, what matters is not the cockpit being on the same deck, but having a much less crowded BE cabin behind the cockpit door rather than a Y cabin. Of course, there are plenty of planes in the world that fly all coach configurations....
While I think this is a bit of a stretch, I can see the logic.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I generally don't think the security thing is a real issue for BE vs. Y on the UD. However, there is the argument about crowding near the forward lav. When you have a crowd of people it's easier to hide things, and for a FAM to not see something. Therefore, what matters is not the cockpit being on the same deck, but having a much less crowded BE cabin behind the cockpit door rather than a Y cabin. Of course, there are plenty of planes in the world that fly all coach configurations....
While I think this is a bit of a stretch, I can see the logic.
Didn't think about that, good point. I agree it is definitely a stretch, but thanks for pointing out the logic being used for me.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 3:50 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Thread closed pending Moderator discussion and review
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator
Old Apr 12, 2014, 10:34 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Exclamation Update

All of the Moderators of the Delta Forum agree that this Thread will remain closed.
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.