Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumor: 747 B/E seat reduction

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2014, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Welcome to FT!

The topic has been discussed here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...reduction.html

Although that thread is now closed...
Old Apr 11, 2014, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Source?

Also: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...reduction.html

ETA: Dang, java beat me to it. Though...do we know why that thread got closed? A 30-second scan didn't make the reason obvious. Not questioning the mods, more wondering if perhaps the rumor has actually been confirmed and there's some other thread I'm missing.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 1:37 pm

Time frame?
Old Apr 11, 2014, 2:17 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
At first I thought it was just a random rumor with not much behind it. Now getting multiple people all saying the same thing (i.e. pilots being informed about the change). Seems like the EC upper deck might be reality.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 2:26 pm

Programs: DL MM 3.2, DM; UAL; AAL
Are there more BE seats going on the bottom level?
Old Apr 11, 2014, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by DLDMFLL
Are there more BE seats going on the bottom level?
If EC seats are going in the upper deck, I would expect the lower deck to be all Y, to keep the upper deck "special."
Old Apr 11, 2014, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee
Though...do we know why that thread got closed? A 30-second scan didn't make the reason obvious. Not questioning the mods, more wondering if perhaps the rumor has actually been confirmed and there's some other thread I'm missing.
The thread was going OT and some personal arguments started. Since the rumor was not confirmed to be true or false, and since there wasn't any new information to add, the thread was closed.
I am not a moderator so I don't know for sure these are the reasons. This is only based on what I've seen in the thread and the posts that got deleted (which I saw before they were deleted).
Old Apr 11, 2014, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by misterbean
Originally Posted by gooselee
Though...do we know why that thread got closed? A 30-second scan didn't make the reason obvious. Not questioning the mods, more wondering if perhaps the rumor has actually been confirmed and there's some other thread I'm missing.
The thread was going OT and some personal arguments started. Since the rumor was not confirmed to be true or false, and since there wasn't any new information to add, the thread was closed.
I am not a moderator so I don't know for sure these are the reasons. This is only based on what I've seen in the thread and the posts that got deleted (which I saw before they were deleted).
Ah. So then the million peso question: is there anything new to add in this thread?

I haven't seen anything else that looks any more confirmed than the original thread...
Old Apr 11, 2014, 7:05 pm

Might not be anything new to add - but EVERY SINGLE 747 pilot crew I fly with says it's happening. Waiting to hear the official word but in the mean time I ask every trip and hear the same thing. Where there is smoke, there's fire….
Old Apr 11, 2014, 7:17 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Why would they inform the pilots about this first? I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just don't understand why pilots need to know about this change. Is it related to crew rest or something like that?
Old Apr 11, 2014, 7:18 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Perhaps with rotating planes out for mods they will he working on different equipment?
Old Apr 11, 2014, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by roknroll
Perhaps with rotating planes out for mods they will he working on different equipment?
More like they will be sitting and getting paid while their aircraft are out for mods.

or because ALPA as input on this mod due to crew rest and other factors. I don't know but I can say the pilots have received a communication on this possible change, whereas the flight attendants (non union) have not.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 8:10 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Who at DL would be interested and empowered to know that I spend extra money and have gone out of my way to select routes that would get me the 744 UD?
Old Apr 11, 2014, 8:33 pm

I am the Delta B747 captain that started this post. The rumor started as a result of a bulletin that was sent to B747 pilots. Time frame for swap out of seats is this summer. I was told by another B747 captain that the actual number of seats on the upper deck was going to be 66 economy comfort.

The reason that the flight crews are upset is because 4 1/2 times more people on the upper deck means more noise, less chance to obtain quality crew rest for the landing crew, and a harder time gaining access to the cockpit. From a security stand point, it increases the risk of a cockpit intrusion. Unfortunately this decision is driven by marketing, not security or the wishes of our High Value customers.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 8:41 pm

Xeno, and others, I would encourage you all to write to Delta and voice your opinion. It might not help, but it can't hurt. I am a delta FA and I am very upset about this prospect. Not because it would make my job harder ( because UD is still a nice place to work, regardless) but because i know how much our HVCs value the UD.) I have stated on the other thread that this is a very real possibility but as far as I know (and maybe Southern242 can elaborate) the memo states it is a possibility - not that it has been decided. At least that was the last I saw.

Maybe it's not too late to let your voices be heard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.