Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumor: 747 B/E seat reduction

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2014, 2:51 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Another variation could be to swap J and EC. EC is currently 42... is there really demand to more than double it to 102? If not, 42 to 60 seems a more reasonable increase. (For comparison, UA has 70 Y+ on their 747.) The existing EC could be either regular coach or maybe a 6J mini cabin, which would then reduce J by only about 8 seats, to 40.

Total speculation here.

Also, AF Y upstairs is not regular economy, it's "Seat Plus", or whatever they call it, at 34" pitch (vs something like 31 on the main deck). With slimline seats, DL could easily get 60 EC at 35" upstairs, it would seem.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 5:09 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by dEagleS
Well, having only flown on the upper deck of the Delta (former NW) 747, I can say that I would definitely not purposely try to target the 747 anymore if this were true. Not too long ago did the 747 have 7x BE seats.

Moreover, the long-haul 747 BE product is one of the main reasons for continuing to fly with Delta.
+1^
Old Mar 21, 2014, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jchan2
Sad day.

On a more practical note, wouldn't there be a lack of overhead bin space up there for 60 Economy/Economy Comfort seats? I seem to remember the bins up there being smaller than the ones downstairs, as I had to put in my carry on bag wide side in to get it to fit (where it fits in wheels first on a 737).
Yes, the overheads on the upper deck are small. Wouldn't have enough space even if only 1 person per row in an all Y config wanted to put a bag up.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
Most of us know how impossible it is now to score OP availability. Just imagine how much more impossible it will be once they eliminate the BE section on the UD. The new GUCs will be worthless as will mileage upgrades with YBM. guess delta doesn't want anyone except HVCs with money to burn in BE.
Pretty much right on. I'm hoping this is only a rumor. Interesting thing is I see a lot of the 747 routes with only a few BE seats open day of departure. The cynical part of me says this goes along with the new global upgrades being usable from any class... make a veiled positive change but circumvent it by effectively eliminating both advance and day of departure inventory.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 5:49 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Just booked DTW-ICN using a GUC for early June in 77A. Might be my last ride up there.
My first UD 747 trip was an "accidental" upgrade on NW's first flight LAX-HNL-SYD. I'd booked the charter flight to SYD and when I went to pick up the ticket at the Roseville, MN city ticket office (remember those?), the agent noticed that because of the coding on the tickets she could assign me an upper deck seat for LAX-HNL but not for HNL-SYD. So she did -- I think there were four people up there, the other three were all NW employees headed out to SYD to work or position for the upcoming return flights for the new service.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by bennos
Another variation could be to swap J and EC. EC is currently 42... is there really demand to more than double it to 102? If not, 42 to 60 seems a more reasonable increase. (For comparison, UA has 70 Y+ on their 747.) The existing EC could be either regular coach or maybe a 6J mini cabin, which would then reduce J by only about 8 seats, to 40.

Total speculation here.

Also, AF Y upstairs is not regular economy, it's "Seat Plus", or whatever they call it, at 34" pitch (vs something like 31 on the main deck). With slimline seats, DL could easily get 60 EC at 35" upstairs, it would seem.
That complicates the mod as EC and Y are not divided at all on the 747. If you take out the current EC rows and put in BE suites, it will be very awkward. You would have to put in some sort of dividers to make this work, and those will reallocate the forward Y lavs to J, leaving the closest Y lavs all the way back at row 43.

I still think this whole thing is probably not true, though I agree that it coincides with DL's recent track record.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by craig44485
+1^
OK, but DL only has 16 remaining 747-400s in its fleet.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 7:53 am

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
Originally Posted by fly747first
OK, but DL only has 16 remaining 747-400s in its fleet.
and long may they live, given that operationally effective 787 may still be a while away
Old Mar 21, 2014, 7:55 am

Programs: DL DM, DL SkyClub, DL AmEx Plat, SPG +, Hilton Silver, Hertz, Thrifty BlueChip, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Perhaps the Economy and Economy Comfort product is being enhanced. Economy gets reduced to 30 inches of pitch and Economy Comfort will now be marketed as "81 Centimeters of Extra Space to Stretch Out". Taking Economy Comfort down to 32 inches pitch should get 60 seats on the upper deck.
I hope this rumor about the 747 isn't true, but you will find zero surprise on my face when we get the email saying these new enhancements have hit.

Also, zero surprise if what you say above was the next move.

I like DL - good people, great crews, treat me well, get me where I need to be safely...but, there's a limit of how much we can all take. At 6'3" any less economy pitch than we currently have and I have to find another carrier.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by OnTheSlopes
I hope this rumor about the 747 isn't true, but you will find zero surprise on my face when we get the email saying these new enhancements have hit.

Also, zero surprise if what you say above was the next move.

I like DL - good people, great crews, treat me well, get me where I need to be safely...but, there's a limit of how much we can all take. At 6'3" any less economy pitch than we currently have and I have to find another carrier.
hit the nail on the head... + 1 zillion... DAL is by far the best airline, but there comes a limit... the cut backs are just too much and I can't put up with it... I just found out that the regular coach seats on B6 have as much pitch as EC! here we make a big deal about those extra few inches and B6 have them in every seat!

DAL still has a better FF program but how long will that last?
Old Mar 21, 2014, 8:22 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by dEagleS
I guess the $4,500-5,500 B or M fares will no longer be needed either. (J on the current routes are in the $7-10k range. And with cutting capacity more, they will continue to increase).

It's a very unusual move. Eliminating the already difficult to use SWU, and replacing with GUC, and then cutting the capacity...

Either I am going to be paying:
1) $1,500 for the flight now (coach),
2) $10,000 for the flight (paid J), or
3) Fly a different carrier altogether

I avoid coach as much as possible, so likely 3 will be the option assuming there is another carrier willing to sell less than $10k. Which there is now.
"Unusual" is not the word I would use. Unless you mean "unusually deceitful and anti-FFer, even by DL standards."
Old Mar 21, 2014, 8:25 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by HatAndJacket
hit the nail on the head... + 1 zillion... DAL is by far the best airline, but there comes a limit... the cut backs are just too much and I can't put up with it... I just found out that the regular coach seats on B6 have as much pitch as EC! here we make a big deal about those extra few inches and B6 have them in every seat!

Can I have some of what you're smoking?
Old Mar 21, 2014, 8:30 am

Location: Minneapolis, formerly the shores of Lake Minnetonka
Programs: DL PM (and KM)
I can't wait to hear how Delta will spin this as an enhancement for everyone as well...
Old Mar 21, 2014, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by HatAndJacket

Originally Posted by HongKonger
Can I have some of what you're smoking?
What I meant to say was that flying Delta is a better flying experience than flying on any other airline I've been on, including AA, US, UA, B6, FL, AF, KL... ect. BUT, that is b/c as a medallion I always fly in EC or better... I was referring to taking off on time, handling IROPS, feeling at home on their planes, etc... now I realize that B6 regular Y has as much pitch as EC and "Even More Legroom" seats have 36-38" pitch.

DAL still has a better FF program than B6 because B6 doesn't have that many redemption options, but idk if that will last much longer as DL continues to hack away at SM and B6 continues to improve.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Ebes1099
I can't wait to hear how Delta will spin this as an enhancement for everyone as well...
As someone who usually flies EC, I like this change. But I would probably feel the other way if I frequented BE.

And, like others have said, I am a little surprised that they aren't simply moving EC upstairs and BE downstairs, but reducing BE seats in exchange for EC. I guess they could be trying to keep per-seat costs down on a fairly old, fuel-guzzling fleet.

Last edited by cdubose98; Mar 21, 2014 at 9:40 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.