Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2014, 2:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I once saw a guy standing in the aisle in his underwear in IFC on SQ. I've also seen guys remove their jeans under the blanket. I hope they were wearing some sort of underwear, evey grey tighty whities.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 3:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz 5*, SPG
Originally Posted by Cdwoodley
I once landed in Sea-Tac from NRT. Everyone had to hold up their passports under their face, photo side out, while we deplaned. Then only the Global Entry folks were allowed to go through customs. Everyone else was held in a room. Never found out what happened or why but I assumed they were looking for someone. Different from police busting on board but clearly they were searching for someone.
CBP should use this story in their marketing for GE! Sounds like a total nightmare for the non-GE people.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 6:20 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosiac, Marriott Platinum
Yesterday I was flying JFK-BOS. I was surrounded by DYKWIA's! The princess in 20B decided she shouldn't have to put any of her three bags under the seat in front of her. She even closed the not full overhead so no one could put their stuff near hers. I enjoyed telling people there was room in that bin as they shoved her small bags to the side.

Next, we were getting ready to close the door I was in 20D and noticed an empty window seat in 19E. At the last minute, a 2 pilots and a flight attendant boarded and took empty seats. I noticed the pilot who took 19E didn't work for Delta. I tried to look at his lanyard but didn't recognize the logo.

We pushed back and stopped. The pilot got on and said the tow bar had broken, but it was ok because we could push off on our own. During this announcement, I noticed an animated conversation in front of me. The woman in 19D, middle seat apparently had a cold. I never heard her make a peep. The deadheading pilot in 19E, window, who didn't work for delta, said something to the effect - I feel like i'm sitting next to my 7 yr old (because she was sniffling). He went on to say something else that I didn't catch. The woman in 19D said - you're being very rude and asked who he worked for. He covered his badge and took his lanyard off saying he didn't work for Delta so it doesn't matter. He's just a passenger as far as she should be concerned.

The pilot who took the seat one row up 18E stood up and said "I do work for Delta and you're being rude so cut the crap..." (something to that effect). The ... in 19E then pushes the Call button. The flight attendant comes back when the plane stopped, before we took off and asked if there was a problem. The woman who was being harrassed said there was a problem, but she'll handle it once we landed. After we took off, the man in the aisle switched seats with the woman in the middle and got her some tissues from the overhead.

19E got pulled to the side as soon as we landed. They were both at the desk with a red-coat as I left. He was such a smug ......
Old Dec 16, 2014, 4:56 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I once saw a guy standing in the aisle in his underwear in IFC on SQ. I've also seen guys remove their jeans under the blanket. I hope they were wearing some sort of underwear, evey grey tighty whities.
A gentleman will stroll into the arrivals lounge in sweats looking scruffy, take a shower and shave and change and emerge dressed for business. A good lounge will press the suit and shirt during the wait for a shower.

If it's an overnight flight, I dress for sleep. Sweats, a t-shirt and basketball shorts are my usual uniform on such trips. #dontjudgeme
Old Dec 16, 2014, 6:25 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by us2
If it's an overnight flight, I dress for sleep. Sweats, a t-shirt and basketball shorts are my usual uniform on such trips. #dontjudgeme
Ya, I'm alwayz amazed to see an occasional older gentleman, and sometimes Asian business traveler wearing a shirt & tie with the shirt buttoned all the way up to the collar on long to VERY long flights!
Old Dec 16, 2014, 6:54 am

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by davetravels
Ya, I'm alwayz amazed to see an occasional older gentleman, and sometimes Asian business traveler wearing a shirt & tie with the shirt buttoned all the way up to the collar on long to VERY long flights!
Possibly they feel they're representing their company even when in transit and prefer to present a professional appearance. It's not so far-fetched.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 7:20 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
Possibly they feel they're representing their company even when in transit and prefer to present a professional appearance. It's not so far-fetched.
Of course, I understand that, and possibly an international culture thing, but, sitting on DTW/NRT, sometimes even in Y, with a tie in? Wow!
Old Dec 16, 2014, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by davetravels
Years ago (& I think I posted this story b4), I was UGed on a KLM B747 - upper deck seat. Flew the whole way TATL next to a guy in avg grey sweats. Just before landing, he stripped off his sweats down to his underwear, and put on his business attire! No kidding! At least he seemed clean!
I flew on DL in J from SYD to LAX, and the passenger seated in front of me was in business casual attire. He asked me if I knew where the lavatory was because he was going to change. I said use the one across from the boarding door as it was the handicapped lavatory and was therefore larger. He changed into sweatpants and a sweatshirt. He got up and changed back to his original clothes prior to landing at LAX. But he used the lavatory.

I have also read of people literally changing into pajamas in international F or C prior to going to sleep.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 7:30 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by meh130
I flew on DL in J from SYD to LAX, and the passenger seated in front of me was in business casual attire. He asked me if I knew where the lavatory was because he was going to change. I said use the one across from the boarding door as it was the handicapped lavatory and was therefore larger. He changed into sweatpants and a sweatshirt. He got up and changed back to his original clothes prior to landing at LAX. But he used the lavatory.

I have also read of people literally changing into pajamas in international F or C prior to going to sleep.
TG, LH, SQ, NH, EK, etc all provide PJs to their F pax. Some of these carriers have sofas, showers, etc. in the lavs.

Also, I've been on a couple of flights where police have taken pax off the plane upon landing.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by us2
Well, it could also go into one of the FCM threads. Say what you will about non-revs and elites winding up in F for free, but the overwhelming number of them know the drill and know how to behave. When an F seat can be had for a few bucks more than coach, there are inevitably going to be a few people who wind up there who look more like they should be on the Greyhound to East Podunk instead.
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
Thus raising the value of said FC product huh........
But, more people in FC on paid tickets are supposed to turn the front cabin into a flower-filled meadow full of frolicking unicorns!!!

Old Dec 16, 2014, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
But, more people in FC on paid tickets are supposed to turn the front cabin into a flower-filled meadow full of frolicking unicorns!!!

Money, even TOD upgrades, doesn't buy class
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by us2
A gentleman will stroll into the arrivals lounge in sweats looking scruffy, take a shower and shave and change and emerge dressed for business. A good lounge will press the suit and shirt during the wait for a shower.

Don't judge me? The post that you quoted was about passengers either standing in aircraft cabins, in public, wearing nothing but underwear or attempting to change clothing under airplane blankets. It wasn't about people who wear casual street clothing for travel.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by 5khours
TG, LH, SQ, NH, EK, etc all provide PJs to their F pax. Some of these carriers have sofas, showers, etc. in the lavs.

Also, I've been on a couple of flights where police have taken pax off the plane upon landing.
Often those PJs look more like sweatpants with a high-necked long-sleeve loose top if not a sweatshirt with a zipper. They're loose, thick, and opaque enough to be extremely decent. It's not like someone is changing into s sexy little sheer nightgown.

However, Aussies apparently like to repurpose the QF PJs as beach coverups. It seems to be a bit of a status symbol there. (DYKWIA? I can afford QF long haul in business or first class.)
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
Money, even TOD upgrades, doesn't buy class
OK, then maybe the unicorns will be wearing dirty sweatshirts, while 1A belches between each sip of beer.

And, at least there is a greater chance that 1A will be on a paid FC ticket, not some sordid UG from coach.

But, rest assured, there are no beer belchers in the TH3 crown.

Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:17 am
formerly ThePinkUnicornShirtGuy

Programs: Delta Diamond
Speaking of unicorns, this is why I always wear my pink unicorn with rainbows shirt when I fly just to have a little bit of fun with the stuffy suits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.