Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2016, 10:12 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by anon2k2
I openly guffawed. He looked at me with disdain. The Club Attendant forced him to walk up to the front desk and get in line behind the other people checking in. These are pretty much the only moments where business travel is entertaining.
^ kudos to you and the attendant

BTW just for your future reference the UA forum has a similar thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-onward-5.html
Old Feb 18, 2016, 1:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
The Club Attendant forced him to walk up to the front desk and get in line behind the other people checking in.
At least the attendant made him get in line and check in. At DL SCs I've seen a number of times when there has been a line to check in and some DYKWIA just walks right past without consequence. I'm assuming he turned out to be a member and was admitted eventually, as disappointing as that must have been.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
My wife had one this past weekend. She was on AS, not DL, but while landing in DTW, her flight had to execute a go-around just before touching down. After climbing away, pilot came on the PA to say they had to go-around because of traffic on the runway. Someone a couple rows back from my wife then began complaining loudly enough for my wife to hear a couple rows away about how bad the pilot was (my wife said it was very windy and bumpy coming in) and that it was ridiculous that they were now going to have to spend 15-20 extra minutes circling to come back around again (because I guess crashing into another plane on the runway is preferable to spending an extra 15-20 minutes in the air to some people). Even with the go-around, they still arrived within a few minutes of on-time into DTW.

Some people.....
Old Feb 18, 2016, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
My wife had one this past weekend. She was on AS, not DL, but while landing in DTW, her flight had to execute a go-around just before touching down. After climbing away, pilot came on the PA to say they had to go-around because of traffic on the runway. Someone a couple rows back from my wife then began complaining loudly enough for my wife to hear a couple rows away about how bad the pilot was (my wife said it was very windy and bumpy coming in) and that it was ridiculous that they were now going to have to spend 15-20 extra minutes circling to come back around again (because I guess crashing into another plane on the runway is preferable to spending an extra 15-20 minutes in the air to some people). Even with the go-around, they still arrived within a few minutes of on-time into DTW.

Some people.....
During a severe Midwest winter storm a few years ago someone demanded that I reopen the MKE airport after the FAA closed it due to ice and wind.

Apparently getting home in a box was preferable to getting home the next day.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 2:36 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
I don't know how I haven't stumbled on this thread before. This one is from a United Club a few months ago, but I figured the DL folks would get a kick out of it too.

I'm sitting at the UC, awaiting yet another mechanical delay, when in walks this guy (late 50's, early 60's, bad dye job, short, portly if it matters) who is on the phone via Bluetooth ear thingy and sits down at the table next to mine.

Hot on his heels, one of the club attendants comes over to him to ask for his BP or credentials. He shushes her and says he's on an "extremely important " call. He'll get her the BP later. She continues to stand over him while he's apparently on hold and says, "Sir, you can't just come in here if you don't check in with the front desk staff." He just ignores her.

A moment later, he continues his phone conversation. His "extremely important" call? He contacted his hotel and proceeded to ..... at the manager for placing him in a Taxi instead of a Town Car for the ride to the airport, and the only reason he even acquiesced to ride in the Taxi was because he was late for his flight. (But, of course, not late enough to skip the United Club and swill a couple of cheap G&Ts.

I openly guffawed. He looked at me with disdain. The Club Attendant forced him to walk up to the front desk and get in line behind the other people checking in. These are pretty much the only moments where business travel is entertaining.
His behavior makes no sense at all. What's the bluetooth for? I thought a bluetooth was to allow somebody to talk on the phone while doing other things; maybe that possibility never occurred to him? I don't actually talk on the phone enough to bother with it much, but the bluetooth is about the best way to use a smartphone - it's better than smearing your face all over the screen, and it's more convenient than holding it flat in your hands the say I've seen people do. But I guess having a Bluetooth doesn't help somebody who can't split his attention enough to hand over a card or a boarding pass while still on a call.

It occurs to me that this is actually a warning against talking on the phone (handsfree or not) while driving.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 5:08 pm

Programs: DL FO
This one is a year old, but finally thinking to share...

I was in ATL, waiting for board an LAX bound flight, on my way to HNL. The plane was an internationally configured wide body (can't remember exact model), and it is obviously going to take awhile to board. There is a family (mom, dad, two tweenage kids) waiting in the Sky Priority. As soon as the GA calls first, they push through to the podium. GA looks at the boarding passes, and says "I called premium, and these are Sky." GA then detaches the rope between boarding lanes and tells them to wait for their group. The mom rolls her eyes and asks why they can't just stand to the side of the lane - GA says no, the premium group will take a few minutes, and the podium area is already too crowded. So the family shuffles over a few feet, and the GA re-attaches the rope. Then the family just stands there, glaring. When the GA calls Sky, dad starts to move the rope and cut the line. GA stops him and points to the line of Sky passengers patiently waiting. They grumble and huff, and GA stood her ground, making them walk around the crowd and get in the back of the Sky line.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by mpheels
GA stops him and points to the line of Sky passengers patiently waiting. They grumble and huff, and GA stood her ground, making them walk around the crowd and get in the back of the Sky line.
Kudos to the GA ^
Old Feb 18, 2016, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium

I was in ATL, waiting for board an LAX bound flight, on my way to HNL. The plane was an internationally configured wide body (can't remember exact model), and it is obviously going to take awhile to board. There is a family (mom, dad, two tweenage kids) waiting in the Sky Priority. As soon as the GA calls first, they push through to the podium. GA looks at the boarding passes, and says "I called premium, and these are Sky." GA then detaches the rope between boarding lanes and tells them to wait for their group. The mom rolls her eyes and asks why they can't just stand to the side of the lane - GA says no, the premium group will take a few minutes, and the podium area is already too crowded. So the family shuffles over a few feet, and the GA re-attaches the rope. Then the family just stands there, glaring. When the GA calls Sky, dad starts to move the rope and cut the line. GA stops him and points to the line of Sky passengers patiently waiting. They grumble and huff, and GA stood her ground, making them walk around the crowd and get in the back of the Sky line.
ATL agents enforcing boarding rules? You have witnessed a very rare sight indeed.

My most memorable experience was rather different. When D1 was called for a flight to AMS, I basically had to shove my way through a sea of Y pax blocking the boarding lane. Quite forcefully too, since the words "excuse me" seem to mean nothing at airports. Why gate agents don't tell people to remain seated until their zone is called is beyond me.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by WWads
ATL agents enforcing boarding rules? You have witnessed a very rare sight indeed.

My most memorable experience was rather different. When D1 was called for a flight to AMS, I basically had to shove my way through a sea of Y pax blocking the boarding lane. Quite forcefully too, since the words "excuse me" seem to mean nothing at airports. Why gate agents don't tell people to remain seated until their zone is called is beyond me.
you're making the assumption that there are actual things that could be considered "seats" anywhere near the gate area.

but, yeah, i get your point
Old Feb 19, 2016, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others

That would be worth a JWD.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others

It's the tone of voice.

When I say "Excuse me" in a NYC tone of voice that means "I'm coming through; if you'd prefer me to walk past instead you might want to consider stepping aside" people move.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 12:54 pm

How forceful exactly? I'm tryin to picture this. Did you shove people out of the way? Isn't that the definition of a DYKWIA????
Old Feb 19, 2016, 12:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I usually say "excuse me" twice (slightly louder the second time) before reverting to "please move" followed by "if you're not boarding now, please get out of the way." After that, sometimes my carry on bag has an unfortunate tendency to bump into people that are standing between me and the podium.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I usually say "excuse me" twice (slightly louder the second time) before reverting to "please move" followed by "if you're not boarding now, please get out of the way." After that, sometimes my carry on bag has an unfortunate tendency to bump into people that are standing between me and the podium.
^
Old Feb 19, 2016, 1:55 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by zitsky
How forceful exactly? I'm tryin to picture this. Did you shove people out of the way? Isn't that the definition of a DYKWIA????
I haven't been through AMS since they put in centralized security, but the old system kind of encouraged this. At some gate, there would be a line wrapping through a narrow corridor to the x-ray machine with a sign telling Sky Priority passengers to proceed to the front. I remember it being particularly bad at the gate for a KLM metal AMS-IST flight. I just waited in line because there was really no good reason to my DYKWIA privileges to get into the detention cage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.