Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2016, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

These people must enjoy meetings more than I do
Old Feb 11, 2016, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by TObject
What emergency can one resolve on the other end of a phone?

Not being sarcastic, just asking for scenarios.

If it is an emergency, why are you calling me instead of emergency services? Do you think I can deplane and get to you faster than an ambulance?
I've talked someone off a bridge after getting a phone call. I don't want to repeat the experience.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 6:59 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Jet Blue Mosiac, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, National Executive Elite
Had 4 DYKWIA's on my BOS to CVG flight on Tuesday.

So it's a light flight as the storm just came through and I think there were 10 more people in Y compared to the full FC Cabin.

I settle into my seat and notice 4 different people talking to each other sharing their laptops to show each other things talking through people sitting in the aisle, etc. Anyways not a big deal we are still at the gate and it took 10 minutes to board the plane so we had time to kill.

We finally close the door and the announcements are made and all 4 of them are still on their laptops working away. 2 FAs walk down the aisle and somehow don't say anything to them. They continue to work on them the entire time from the gate, deicing, and take off. Same thing happens on the descent. So we get on the ground and I say "Good luck with that important meeting today..." Clearly the comment went over their heads...

I know a PC is not going to bring down a plane, but they clearly fly a lot if the are UG to FC, so they know the rules. Not to mention it's a safety issue if they were to go flying during take off or landing. I think I was even more aggravated that the FAs walked right by and payed them no attention.

The silver lining was the girl next to me had hers crash to the ground when we landed as they were testing the air brakes and we stopped pretty quickly and the laptop went flying into the seat and crashed onto the ground.

-A
Old Feb 11, 2016, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Anaom
Had 4 DYKWIA's on my BOS to CVG flight on Tuesday.

So it's a light flight as the storm just came through and I think there were 10 more people in Y compared to the full FC Cabin.

I settle into my seat and notice 4 different people talking to each other sharing their laptops to show each other things talking through people sitting in the aisle, etc. Anyways not a big deal we are still at the gate and it took 10 minutes to board the plane so we had time to kill.

We finally close the door and the announcements are made and all 4 of them are still on their laptops working away. 2 FAs walk down the aisle and somehow don't say anything to them. They continue to work on them the entire time from the gate, deicing, and take off. Same thing happens on the descent. So we get on the ground and I say "Good luck with that important meeting today..." Clearly the comment went over their heads...

I know a PC is not going to bring down a plane, but they clearly fly a lot if the are UG to FC, so they know the rules. Not to mention it's a safety issue if they were to go flying during take off or landing. I think I was even more aggravated that the FAs walked right by and payed them no attention.

The silver lining was the girl next to me had hers crash to the ground when we landed as they were testing the air brakes and we stopped pretty quickly and the laptop went flying into the seat and crashed onto the ground.

-A
Not all FAs follow the rules. A few years back I was stuck in coach but they were nice enough to block a row for me. I was stretched out across all 3 asleep with no belt of course. We landed without the FAs saying anything or waking me up. Got woke up as I flew forward into seats in front of me. According to them they assumed the other would wake me up.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Not all FAs follow the rules. A few years back I was stuck in coach but they were nice enough to block a row for me. I was stretched out across all 3 asleep with no belt of course. We landed without the FAs saying anything or waking me up. Got woke up as I flew forward into seats in front of me. According to them they assumed the other would wake me up.
I wear a seatbelt when sleeping across 3 seats (just one, though).
Old Feb 12, 2016, 5:56 am

Programs: DL DM, GOES
Originally Posted by sethb
I wear a seatbelt when sleeping across 3 seats (just one, though).
But when you get surly, the FA's have been known to apply all 3 belts!
Old Feb 12, 2016, 6:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by EditingFX
But when you get surly, the FA's have been known to apply all 3 belts!
At least they've given you the beer before doing the seat belts.

[For those who don't know, Surly is a MN microbrewery that isn't so micro anymore.]
Old Feb 12, 2016, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
At least they've given you the beer before doing the seat belts.

[For those who don't know, Surly is a MN microbrewery that isn't so micro anymore.]
I know I'd be Furious
Old Feb 12, 2016, 7:29 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by kop84
I know I'd be Furious
I'd have gone on a Bender
Old Feb 12, 2016, 7:32 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
I'd have gone on a Bender
Of Coors.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 8:39 am

Location: Minneapolis, formerly the shores of Lake Minnetonka
Programs: DL PM (and KM)
Originally Posted by TObject
What emergency can one resolve on the other end of a phone?

Not being sarcastic, just asking for scenarios.

If it is an emergency, why are you calling me instead of emergency services? Do you think I can deplane and get to you faster than an ambulance? Do you want me to talk you through the steps to do after snakebite?
Depending on your definition of emergency, any number of them could be handled over the phone. They don't all have to be medical emergencies requiring an ambulance.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 9:25 am

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
DYKWIAs are not found only on airplanes. I had an encounter with one this week in a parking lot in a shopping mall.

Given the great weather we usually have here, most malls are strip malls. One in my area, is not, and as it was both cold and raining, this mall suddenly became very popular and its parking lot was almost completely full.

When I pulled in, there were two spots left -- both in the furthest end of the parking lot and next to each other.

A car in front of me pulled into the first one. Actually, that is not quite true. It pulled into 80% of one parking space and 20% of the only other remaining space -- the one I planned on parking in.

I asked the driver, a rather overweight woman, if she could please move her car to allow me room to park mine. She told me she has the right to park however she wants and walked off.

I then managed to squeeze my car in. I left about 2 inches between the passenger door on my car and the driver's door on hers. I had no problem getting out of my car as my door opened onto a sidewalk. I then went into the mall, ate lunch there, did some shopping, and came back to my car.

I was not at all surprised to see the woman who had taken much of my parking space standing there. There was no possible way she could have gotten into her car from the driver's side and, at her weight, I really did not expect her to be able to enter from the passenger side, manage to get over the stick shift on the floor, and sit in the driver's seat.

She had obviously been waiting for me for quite a bit of time as she was soaking wet and furious. She started to give me hell until I pointed out that I was parked between the lines of my parking space and she was the one who had been greedy.

I wished her a nice day, then took my time starting my car, getting the radio tuned to my preferred station, adjusting my mirrors (which were already in place), making certain that my headlights were turned on, and v e r y s l o w l y pulling out to be certain that my side view mirror did not hit hers.

All of this time, of course, she had absolutely no choice but to stand in the rain.

DYKWIAs of the world, be warned: Revenge is sweet!
Old Feb 12, 2016, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Dovster
DYKWIAs are not found only on airplanes. I had an encounter with one this week in a parking lot in a shopping mall.

Given the great weather we usually have here, most malls are strip malls. One in my area, is not, and as it was both cold and raining, this mall suddenly became very popular and its parking lot was almost completely full.

When I pulled in, there were two spots left -- both in the furthest end of the parking lot and next to each other.

A car in front of me pulled into the first one. Actually, that is not quite true. It pulled into 80% of one parking space and 20% of the only other remaining space -- the one I planned on parking in.

I asked the driver, a rather overweight woman, if she could please move her car to allow me room to park mine. She told me she has the right to park however she wants and walked off.

I then managed to squeeze my car in. I left about 2 inches between the passenger door on my car and the driver's door on hers. I had no problem getting out of my car as my door opened onto a sidewalk. I then went into the mall, ate lunch there, did some shopping, and came back to my car.

I was not at all surprised to see the woman who had taken much of my parking space standing there. There was no possible way she could have gotten into her car from the driver's side and, at her weight, I really did not expect her to be able to enter from the passenger side, manage to get over the stick shift on the floor, and sit in the driver's seat.

She had obviously been waiting for me for quite a bit of time as she was soaking wet and furious. She started to give me hell until I pointed out that I was parked between the lines of my parking space and she was the one who had been greedy.

I wished her a nice day, then took my time starting my car, getting the radio tuned to my preferred station, adjusting my mirrors (which were already in place), making certain that my headlights were turned on, and v e r y s l o w l y pulling out to be certain that my side view mirror did not hit hers.

All of this time, of course, she had absolutely no choice but to stand in the rain.

Well done! ^^^
Old Feb 12, 2016, 9:54 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester

[...]
^ you're my hero
Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold

Can I nominate you for a award or something? This is just pure gold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.