Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2015, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I remember sleeping out for hockey tickets.
that was a college rite of passage for home games against big Ivy League and ECAC rivals, and more so during the playoffs
Old Jul 21, 2015, 6:46 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by avidflyer
Back when the Boston Garden was the real Gahden I remember seeing Black Sabbath and Blue Oyster Cult and standing on the floor (before general admission was banned because of the deaths in CIN) and smelling all forms of burning matter just prior to the M80 going off overhead. It was common for people in the nose bleeds to light them and throw them to the floor below.

Ah the good ole days ....

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming....
Brings back the urine smell of the old Boston Garden and the old Madison Garden (on 49th street). I went to college in the Bronx and graduate school in Boston so had many visits.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
I tend to also plant myself strategically near the SP line. If others knew how to store their bags properly, I would resist, but I seem to always travel with the not so frequent flying elites that cannot figure out that the big bag goes on 3 seat side and the smaller bag goes on the 2 seat side. Amongst other missteps... nah, call me a gate louse, but I get on and out of the way of the crazies, especially the seat poachers...

Funny thing, I am never alone.

And I know how you people that hold back play. You are the ones that come in and try to pass in front of those in the line to board. Having a decent size build and a well positioned rollerbag, is my defense against the party crashers.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:31 pm

Programs: Skyteam
Originally Posted by kop84
But if he doesn't get to board first how are the rest of the plebeians on the plane supposed to know who he is?
Everyone sees the last guy in the plane.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
, I am never alone.

And I know how you people that hold back play. You are the ones that come in and try to pass in front of those in the line to board. Having a decent size build and a well positioned rollerbag, is my defense against the party crashers.
It truly is an art form...
Old Jul 21, 2015, 9:21 pm

Programs: Delta DM/1.3MM, Marriott PP/LTP, Natl EE, Etihad Guest, FT FNG
It truly is an art form...
I usually just wait til you guys get into it, and then slide by while you are working it out.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 4:03 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
AA has this nailed. They do NOT call people needing assistance. That is pre-arranged prior to boarding and done without an announcement. Then they call FC ONLY. No elites, no anything, just FC. Everyone knows it and it is very organized (at least for FC). I have a DL FC trip coming up next week and I dread the boarding process.
Spot on here, AA's boarding process is light years better than DL's. The only pre-boards are those arranged in advance and the GA calls those pax up by name. If there's an area where AA is significantly better than DL this is it.

Last edited by krlcomm; Jul 23, 2015 at 4:47 pm
Old Jul 23, 2015, 4:37 pm

I got lost on youtube - started off searching Delta 747's (hopefully one day will fly on the Upper Deck) and after clicking next video, after video, after video - I cam across this:

had to share it with you all.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 4:50 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by sasohal
I got lost on youtube - started off searching Delta 747's (hopefully one day will fly on the Upper Deck) and after clicking next video, after video, after video - I cam across this:

Nice use of the intercom there.

Clearly nobody was there for a while. I wonder if he ever bothered to check to see what time it was.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 9:36 pm

Programs: DL FO
Wow. Was he looking out the window to see if the plane was still there? Well, he tried, lol
Old Jul 24, 2015, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
I got lost on youtube - started off searching Delta 747's (hopefully one day will fly on the Upper Deck) and after clicking next video, after video, after video - I came across this:

Priceless ^
Old Jul 24, 2015, 11:58 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh3QznpjyDc

O..M..G.. some mighty powerful drugs in play there, lol...
Old Aug 10, 2015, 1:27 pm

Programs: DL Diamond and MM, UA 1K, Marriott LTT
Today on an IND to ATL flight there was a DM traveling with his two children with a carry on that clearly did not fit in the size checker.

The GA made an announcement to come up and check to make sure all carry on bags fit into the size checker. The guy did not move.

She made another announcement. Again he did not move.

She then called him up directly. She told him to put it in the checker. He said it clearly does not fit and he was going to ask the FA to store it in the closet.

GA throws a fit telling him he has to check it and then calls a red coat. He states that it is art and it cannot be checked. She makes the DM wait while everyone else boards.

Red coat arrives. Realizes he is DM. Apologizes for the rude GA, but prints a checked bag tag and then walks him down to the plane. Explains the situation to the FA. FA states no problem. Art goes into the closet and DM takes his seat.

The DM was me and I have never seen one GA throw such a fit while the rest of the staff were spot on with the CS that I have come to appreciate.

So I had to pull my own DYKWIA today.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 1:33 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta Million Miler,Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, Delta Sky Club
Originally Posted by mrboom
Today on an IND to ATL flight there was a DM traveling with his two children with a carry on that clearly did not fit in the size checker.

The GA made an announcement to come up and check to make sure all carry on bags fit into the size checker. The guy did not move.

She then called him up directly. She told him to put it in the checker. He said it clearly does not fit and he was going to ask the FA to store it in the closet.

GA throws a fit telling him he has to check it and then calls a red coat. He states that it is art and it cannot be checked. She makes the DM wait while everyone else boards.

Red coat arrives. Realizes he is DM. Apologizes for the rude GA, but prints a checked bag tag and then walks him down to the plane. Explains the situation to the FA. FA states no problem. Art goes into the closet and DM takes his seat.

The DM was me and I have never seen one GA throw such a fit while the rest of the staff were spot on with the CS that I have come to appreciate.

This is the definition of DYKWIA...rules for some, different rules for you. If over size bag were a published benefit of being a DM, fine...but why is it that you think you are entitled (regardless of your "art") to bring on a large bag? What if another DM had brought on a "sculpture" and taken up the closet? What if 5 other DM's brought on oversize bags and there was no room at all for yours?
Old Aug 10, 2015, 1:35 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by mrboom

...um.....congratulations? I don't know what you are hoping for here. Personally, I think you were being a complete *******. If it were that valuable, you should have arranged shipping. If I were the red coat, from one Diamond to another, I would have denied you boarding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.