Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2015, 11:18 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by gooselee
Not a DL story, but I know this board will enjoy it and with SPG Crossover, there's at least a marginal link.

Waiting for the front desk at a Westin tonight to change my reservation, and there's a guy literally yelling into his phone at what I assume is SPG reservations or customer service. He's saying things like "I'm at the front desk of this place, and the guy you have working here is a !@#$ moron. He's an idiot. He's saying you're completely booked tonight."

Judging by the parking lot and number of people at the hotel bar, I'm going to believe that they actually are.

He goes on to say that his admin books all his travel, because he doesn't have time to do it himself, and if she didn't book him at a Westin, then where is his reservation? He ALWAYS stays here and she wouldn't put him anywhere else.

Then, the real kicker. Mr. Man says yells to his phone: "Well that's fine, I guess I'll just find somewhere else to sleep tonight. I'm going to be SPG Gold in a couple months and you guys are treating me like $@*#." He then grabs a cookie from the basket on the desk and storms out the front door, still yelling into his phone.

I always feel bad for the frontline employees, both in person and on the phone, that have to put up with jokers like this, but at least the FD agent seemed to be taking it in stride, and completely changed modes to being helpful and pleasant when I asked him to extend my reservation. Kudos to him.

However, I'm thinking we have a new breed here? DYKWI-Gonna-Be?
That was me. The whole thing was a diversion to grab a free cookie.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
That was me. The whole thing was a diversion to grab a free cookie.
Dude, poor choice in property.

At least go to the Doubletree down the street and get a warm one for almost being a loyal HH Blue member. Something about a free coffee maker for HH Blues, too.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by apodo77
I kid you not he said common class. Made me laugh.
Wiki updated with this priceless pearl
Old Jun 10, 2015, 7:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Biscoffs aren't just ordinary cookies.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 8:25 pm

Programs: DL, Hyatt, National
Not sure this is really a DYKWIA story but this guy started down that path and it ended up that he wasn't really a jackleg but might have been crazy....

E Skyclub in the morning this past Sunday.

Its my vacation and I'm at the bar (don't judge me...I was watching TV - HONEST - I really was just watching TV).

Anyway, the bartender who is a super nice lady convinces me to try a Bloody Mary. I've never had one so sure the price is right. It was actually really good and I don't like tomato juice. Apparently she's famous for them because people lined up for them and all knew her by name. I'm sure a few of you know who she is - Deb.

Then up plops this stocky little guy who had to jump into the bar stool - we'll call him Chicago because I think thats where he's from.

He knows her well, really super down to earth nice guy, loves to talk - to everyone. I'm not paying any attention to him because I was trying to read the closed captions on the news.

Then it happens, he reaches his hand out to shake mine and asked my name and introduces himself to me. I was a little worried about this one, but was on vacation and didn't have anything else to do so I hung around. He started to ask me lots of questions and I was polite and answered with generic things because heck I didn't know this guy and didn't feel like perpetuating the conversation.

Within the three Bloddy Mary's he knocked back (10 minutes), I learned he holds 300 patents, is a CEO, millionaire loaded up super 1%er who is obviously a workaholic guy. I know his religious views, his political views and just about every stock he's made millions off of.

He wasn't really flaunting it but was really oversharing and my BS meter started to beep about ten seconds after he showed up.

He must have detected it and then started showing me videos of him at these places he says he runs/owns and its really him in a real aluminum can plant. He helped bring a car company back from the brink, etc. I think if he hung around longer he might be the guy who cured cancer.

I don't know if he was the real deal or full of himself but I know for a fact he isn't the CEO of Alcoa or Rexam. It was one of those funny mornings at the lounge. If you folks ever run into this guy, just sit back and enjoy the show.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 1:45 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Just goes to show that even the most successful people can be underconfident, sad and lonely
Old Jun 13, 2015, 2:08 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Yeah I call BS on the little chubby man as well. No one with those credentials is flying on Delta and sucking down bloody marys like they are going out of existence. If he was that rich and powerful he would have called up Donald Trump to catch a ride on his private 757.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 5:13 am

Programs: AADULtArer
I rarely tell my life story when on travel. I want to hear your story.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 11:23 am

Programs: Delta DM/1.3MM, Marriott PP/LTP, Natl EE, Etihad Guest, FT FNG
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
I rarely tell my life story when on travel. I want to hear your story.
I do have some good travel stories . . . most of them are even true.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 11:29 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Biscoffs aren't just ordinary cookies.
They are quickly moving to ordinary status... I've had them on several AA flights recently... does DL know about this?
Old Jun 13, 2015, 2:09 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Originally Posted by krlcomm
They are quickly moving to ordinary status... I've had them on several AA flights recently... does DL know about this?
Wife recently bought some of the Lotus Biscoff cookie spread. On the back, it says "Made from Biscoff Cookies", with a picture of the little two-cookie sleeve, and right beneath it has a small image of an airplane with text "The In-Flight Treat."
Old Jun 13, 2015, 2:34 pm

Programs: DL PM, Natl-Exec Elite, Hertz-President Circle, Marriot/Starwood-Gold, HHonors-Gold
Originally Posted by Tibs
we'll call him Chicago because I think thats where he's from.

Within the three Bloddy Mary's he knocked back (10 minutes), I learned he holds 300 patents, is a CEO, millionaire loaded up super 1%er who is obviously a workaholic guy. I know his religious views, his political views and just about every stock he's made millions off of.
I think you BS meter was right on !

In my experience, truly accomplished people don't feel the need nor have a desire to brag about it. They also don't openly share their religious or political views with just anyone sitting at the bar and they don't tell you about their investment successes because they don't want everyone to ask for details about their "secret" formula.

Usually when some brags that openly, 9 out of 10 times they don't have 95% of what they tell you they have.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 4:13 pm

Programs: delta dm
Great DYKWIA from las vegas today.....I am number one for upgrade which I get and sorry east coast people but arrogant east coast gonad husband and wife cut in line and are just jerks ....they get on asking if people will switch normally when taveling alone I go out of my way to do so but not this time and nobody else does either....I don't volunteer my seat and empty seat next to me.....seat in first next to me goes empty for first time in I don't know how long so dykwia people I am watching and adjusting accordingly

Last edited by dzflyer; Jun 13, 2015 at 6:29 pm
Old Jun 13, 2015, 7:36 pm

Programs: Delta DM, suffering Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Ledfish

Usually when some brags that openly, 9 out of 10 times they don't have 95% of what they tell you they have.
As the old saying goes: "Those who talk don't know. Those who know don't talk."
Old Jun 13, 2015, 9:40 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by njf63
Just goes to show that even the most successful people can be underconfident, sad and lonely
Originally Posted by Ledfish

In my experience, truly accomplished people don't feel the need nor have a desire to brag about it. They also don't openly share their religious or political views with just anyone sitting at the bar and they don't tell you about their investment successes because they don't want everyone to ask for details about their "secret" formula.

There might be an exception for really short chubby guys. Think about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.