Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2015, 5:22 am
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
United

My "favorite" United story is when I was in Chicago. Somehow they got a copy of Delta's very frequent passenger list and sent me a free first class ticket to try them. So, i did. I boarded and was sitting drinking a scotch (full first) when the GA boarded with another passenger and told me that Mr X was one of their premium passengers and that since I had a free ticket, I had to move to the back. I refused and have never flown United since
Old May 29, 2015, 7:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by BeatCal
My "favorite" United story is when I was in Chicago. Somehow they got a copy of Delta's very frequent passenger list and sent me a free first class ticket to try them. So, i did. I boarded and was sitting drinking a scotch (full first) when the GA boarded with another passenger and told me that Mr X was one of their premium passengers and that since I had a free ticket, I had to move to the back. I refused and have never flown United since
WOW, what a great way to make a good first impression and acquirre your competitor's best customers.
Old May 29, 2015, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
WOW, what a great way to make a good first impression and acquire your competitor's best customers.
Exactly what I was thinking.
Old May 29, 2015, 8:56 am

Programs: Delta DM/1.3MM, Marriott PP/LTP, Natl EE, Etihad Guest, FT FNG
As the old saying goes "you never get a second chance to make a first impression"!
Old May 29, 2015, 3:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
BRILLIANT!

OP: What year?
Old May 29, 2015, 5:30 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA Gold, UA Silver, EI Silver
Originally Posted by kettle1
BRILLIANT!

OP: What year?
And, more important, what scotch?
Old May 30, 2015, 2:14 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Originally Posted by danville 1K
I think that was actually an infamous VIP flyer at

My first thought was of Mr. Pillows, as well.

United
Originally Posted by skchin
Isn't it faster to drive than waiting 4-5 hours waiting at the airport?
I don't think so. LAX-LAS is like 30 minutes from rotation to touchdown. And I'm certainly not one to spend 3.5 hours in an airport. Assuming good weather, no delays, and I check a bag, I'll show up 45 to 60 minutes early (depends on whether the airport has a minimum drop off time, and if it's a lengthy journey, such as at LAS from the ticket counter, up and over to security, then a ride on the tram), go through security quickly, and be at the gate for a minimal amount of time, so that I don't have to stand at a crowded gate (again, something like D41 at LAS accommodating a 757).
Old May 30, 2015, 2:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, MM
Originally Posted by brocklee9000
I don't think so. LAX-LAS is like 30 minutes from rotation to touchdown. And I'm certainly not one to spend 3.5 hours in an airport. Assuming good weather, no delays, and I check a bag, I'll show up 45 to 60 minutes early (depends on whether the airport has a minimum drop off time, and if it's a lengthy journey, such as at LAS from the ticket counter, up and over to security, then a ride on the tram), go through security quickly, and be at the gate for a minimal amount of time, so that I don't have to stand at a crowded gate (again, something like D41 at LAS accommodating a 757).
If you're a FF and this isn't your game plan, I'm worried about you. 4-5 hours at the airport? That's just insane(unless you have to connect obviously).
Old May 30, 2015, 6:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by StuckOnSegments
If you're a FF and this isn't your game plan, I'm worried about you. 4-5 hours at the airport? That's just insane(unless you have to connect obviously).
Some people do this for the lounges.
Old May 30, 2015, 6:55 pm

The last time I had a 4 hour layover was a while back, at BUF on a mileage run. I used it to my advantage and hung out with the flight crew. They had a long layover before they turned around the same aircraft, a shiny new CR9. So I got a personalized tour of the plane, hung out on the flight deck, and got a glimpse at a day in the life of an airline pilot (which was particularly nice, since that'll be me in a few years).
But other than that, I try to keep my layovers at 1hr30 or less (maybe 1hr45 if there's just not a better or more affordable option), if practicable.
Old May 30, 2015, 7:15 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by brocklee9000
The last time I had a 4 hour layover was a while back, at BUF on a mileage run. I used it to my advantage and hung out with the flight crew. They had a long layover before they turned around the same aircraft, a shiny new CR9. So I got a personalized tour of the plane, hung out on the flight deck, and got a glimpse at a day in the life of an airline pilot (which was particularly nice, since that'll be me in a few years).
But other than that, I try to keep my layovers at 1hr30 or less (maybe 1hr45 if there's just not a better or more affordable option), if practicable.
Was this a 2am arrival and a 6am departure? If not, why would any airline not turn the AC sooner? Just wondering?

Congrats on becoming a pilot!
Old May 30, 2015, 7:36 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Exactly.

I once scheduled a six hour layover at JFK on a MSP-JFK-LHR itinerary on which I was connecting from DL to VS and Terminal 2 to Terminal 4. The renovated Sky Club had just opened and I'd never been in the Clubhouse; I wanted to check out both. (And yes, of course, the Clubhouse was the better option)
Old May 30, 2015, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by kettle1
Was this a 2am arrival and a 6am departure? If not, why would any airline not turn the AC sooner? Just wondering?

Congrats on becoming a pilot!
Well it was definitely the most fun MR I've ever done. I took a redeye SLC-JFK, had breakfast in the T2 club, then hopped on the Endeavor flight to BUF. I had a 4 hour layover before my flight to ATL, and theirs was almost equally long. I'm not sure why the turnaround was that long, because I've been on Endeavor flights for MRs where our turnaround was maybe an hour long (and there's always at least one FA that's like "Weren't you just in that same seat an hour ago?" hahaha). Regardless, the same two pilots prepped the same plane, and flew back to JFK right before my MD88 boarded for ATL. In a couple semesters I'll be taking an airline scheduling and dispatch operations class, maybe I can give you some insight then.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 3:23 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by puddinhead
Big stars in Vegas fly private, some are chartered and some own their own plane. This could be someone who 'used to be somebody' and is now delegated to the D-list.

Stupid is flying from LA to Vegas on a private jet, then driving to Primm (stateline). It took longer than just driving to Primm from LA.
I live/work 40 minutes from LAX. LAX-LAS is a wash in terms of time flying vs driving. 40 minute drive, 15 minutes on the parking shuttle, 5 for security, try and walk up to the gate at ~30 minutes out (gives me 20 minute leeway with traffic), 50-60 minutes in the tube, get a cab (this is often the longest part) and be at my hotel about 3 1/2 hours after I left work. This is cutting a LOT of margins closely and leaves very little room for traffic, parking, or security (precheck helps a ton here, obviously, and checking a bag is not an option). A more sane person would probably allocate closer to 5 hours for the process.

Driving is usually 4-5 hours, but can be longer, especially coming back on a Sunday.

Flying to LAS and taking a car to Primm is probably not faster, but would be much less stressful than trying to escape LA traffic.

There are some airports where a 4 hour layover means you can leave and do something interesting (going to In-N-Out by LAX and watching planes takeoff/land is a popular one).
Old Jun 1, 2015, 3:38 pm

Programs: DL: PM, MR: Plat, AMEX Plat
I've definitely gone to LAS way earlier than necessary because of the AMEX Centurion lounge. Complimentary buffet and cocktails before my flight home? Yes, please.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.