Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2014, 8:44 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
I'm not nearly as bad as my wife, but I get up about every two hours and if I am on a long flight, unless Mrs Reds and are travelling together in first, I always request an aisle seat if possible as well. If the person in the window seat needs up every half hour, I don't say anything since I chose the aisle seat. I figure it's the price you pay for an aisle seat.
Every two hours is fine. Every half hour would get a bit annoying, especially with IFE, tray table, dinner tray, etc.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 9:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
[QUOTE=ILovetheReds;22982658]I figure it's the price you pay for an aisle seat.[/QUOTE

I agree with you. I also get up a lot during a flight and always ask for an aisle seat. In fact, I once almost turned down an op-up ATL-CDG because the GA put me in a window seat.

I say "almost" because, fortunately for me, there was an aisle seat available in Biz Elite and she was able to put me in it.

I would feel very uncomfortable making someone else get up repeatedly but I have no problem getting up myself to let another passenger out.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 9:47 am

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
If the person in the window seat needs up every half hour, I don't say anything since I chose the aisle seat. I figure it's the price you pay for an aisle seat.
Exactly. This is why I will almost always choose a window seat. Usually I'm in an aisle seat if: (A) I get an upgrade at the gate and am cleared into an aisle (B) I get an upgrade at the window and the only options bulkhead seats vs an aisle in another row (C) I book a flight and want an EC bulkhead on an Airbus (any flavor) or 763ER and the bulkhead windows are gone, so I book the bulkhead aisle on a 2 seat side.

I rarely, if ever, get up while on a plane. Since I don't mind sitting at the window, I enjoy the view, and the makeshift headrest to sleep on, I will sit there. It also means that I'm probably not going to get up during the flight and bother others.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Dovster
... I would feel very uncomfortable making someone else get up repeatedly but I have no problem getting up myself to let another passenger out.
and, even better, it appears you won't complain about doing so
Old Jun 5, 2014, 10:16 am

I learned my lesson on my first long haul trip to Europe. 8 hours buried in the window seat. The passenger next to me in the middle was an tiny elderly lady that did not speak English, traveling with what appeared to be her son on the aisle. I'm not tiny. She wanted me to climb over her to get out. I used gestures to indicate she needed to get up. She was not happy, and clearly indicated her displeasure. I only got up that one time. Now I get aisle seats so I can get up to stretch or what ever, anytime. Not much to see over the ocean, anyway, although I miss the view on take off and landing.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 7:19 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
She is a diabetic and one of the problems she has at times is urinating a lot. She always tries for aisle seats or bulkhead seats (she claims in row 1 in a window you can often times just crawl over your seatmate without them getting up on a lot of aircraft) and last night apparently all the PM's and DM's had cleared because she was #1 for 1 seat and got the upgrade which was a window.

Was a four hour flight and she had to get up three times and the second time it happened the guy in the aisle seat got pretty pissy with her. When they were approaching the gate he was complaining on his cell phone that he wasn't able to get any sleep because there was a rude person in the window seat continually getting up. She said she ready to get on her phone and call me and tell me about the A****le she had sitting next to her in the aisle seat very loudly
Next time she has a window seat, all she needs to do is tell the aisle pax that she will be getting up frequently. Maybe he will change seats with her, maybe not. If he chooses to keep the aisle seat, he has no one to blame but himself.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by injera
A polite and fair request usually gets you a lot further.
^ You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by mattp1987
Clearly you catch more flies with honey.
Sorry for the post above - just spotted this. Oh well, great minds think alike.

^
Old Jun 6, 2014, 9:40 am

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
If you pull their little wings off you can get them to drink vinegar.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 10:47 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
But you an catch even more with flypaper.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by HongKonger
But you an catch even more with flypaper.
What about those blue bugzappers?

I've always wondered who's out there collecting flies, anyway. Seems kinda gross...
Old Jun 6, 2014, 11:50 am

Programs: (PM)AA SPG (Marriott), Hilton
Originally Posted by gooselee
I've always wondered who's out there collecting flies, anyway. Seems kinda gross...
Kermit and [insert the name of a infamous dead celebrity here.]

Last edited by reft; Jun 6, 2014 at 11:59 am Reason: typo
Old Jun 6, 2014, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Not sure if this is necessarily DYKWIA behavior, but definitely DB behavior my wife experienced last night.

She is a diabetic and one of the problems she has at times is urinating a lot. She always tries for aisle seats or bulkhead seats (she claims in row 1 in a window you can often times just crawl over your seatmate without them getting up on a lot of aircraft) and last night apparently all the PM's and DM's had cleared because she was #1 for 1 seat and got the upgrade which was a window.

Was a four hour flight and she had to get up three times and the second time it happened the guy in the aisle seat got pretty pissy with her. When they were approaching the gate he was complaining on his cell phone that he wasn't able to get any sleep because there was a rude person in the window seat continually getting up. She said she ready to get on her phone and call me and tell me about the A****le she had sitting next to her in the aisle seat very loudly

I'm not nearly as bad as my wife, but I get up about every two hours and if I am on a long flight, unless Mrs Reds and are travelling together in first, I always request an aisle seat if possible as well. If the person in the window seat needs up every half hour, I don't say anything since I chose the aisle seat. I figure it's the price you pay for an aisle seat.
I SDC'd for an earlier DTW/LAS vegas flight and if my upgrade clears only window seats are available, and like your wife I get up a lot (not every half hour but every 90 minutes), a lot of times just to stretch and get some movement. Hope I don't get the same seatmate your wife did today
Old Jun 6, 2014, 1:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by gooselee
What about those blue bugzappers?

Do the zappers count as "catching?"

Entomologists collect flies.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana. --Groucho Marx
Old Jun 6, 2014, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by HongKonger
Do the zappers count as "catching?"

Entomologists collect flies.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana. --Groucho Marx
What I hear you saying is that I should bring bananas if I need to ask for a favor. I could take some from the snack basket, but then I'll end up right back here in this thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.