Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta picked me up in a Porsche

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2011, 9:31 am
mdb

Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
If I gotta go, getting run over by a 767 whilst in a Porsche is not a bad way.
Have some class man - only if it is a reconfiged 767
Old Nov 7, 2011, 9:41 am

I think one reason they may use Porsche is that Porsche NA is headquartered in Atlanta. Saab used to be, but to my knowledge, Porsche is the only major car manufacturer HQ'd in Atlanta for US operations.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 7:34 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold
I experienced this service today in Atlanta and posted on my blog site about it (includes a photo of the Porsche Cayenne).

http://www.josephfmessina.com/blog/2...rsche-cayenne/

Wonder if this a M-F, or S-S DM 'perk'?
Old Nov 7, 2011, 8:48 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM, DL reserve, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by jomes41
I experienced this service today in Atlanta and posted on my blog site about it (includes a photo of the Porsche Cayenne).

http://www.josephfmessina.com/blog/2...rsche-cayenne/

Wonder if this a M-F, or S-S DM 'perk'?
That is awesome!
Old Nov 8, 2011, 3:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold
Here is an other link that was forwarded to me:

http://jalopnik.com/5856528/delta-sh...rs-in-porsches

Check-out the comments under the post.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 5:02 pm

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
Originally Posted by bmchris
I think one reason they may use Porsche is that Porsche NA is headquartered in Atlanta. Saab used to be, but to my knowledge, Porsche is the only major car manufacturer HQ'd in Atlanta for US operations.
Totally correct, and obvious. Their new HDQ is going to be adjacent to the airport at the old Ford plant.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 5:26 pm

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DLdweeb
Sweet looking ride....

So who's driving these DMs around the airfield, DL employees? I'd like to apply for that job. Is tipping "expected"?
So- if/when there is another DL DO someday, this would be a fun gig...
Old Nov 9, 2011, 12:11 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Hilton Life Diamond, Hertz Presidents, former US former Charimans
Originally Posted by Centurion
My son will remember the Lufthansa Porsche Panrama at FRA as the driver took him for quite a fast zip to the plane.
This is the most interesting question of the whole thing... if you win, how fast do you get to go? I mean, it's not a public road. It's a runway. Do I get to have a Top Gear moment and race a 757 on takeoff roll?

More seriously, this does not detract from my Medallion benefits or travel experience in any way, and I'm sure that it puts a smile on people's faces EVERY time, so I am 100% in favor. Keep it up, Delta!
Old Nov 9, 2011, 12:42 pm

Programs: Delta, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by dickinson
There will undoubtedly be multiple threads either wanting compensation, complaining that the driver spoke too loudly, complaining about the car, complaining that another DM got the ride, or speculating on the chances of getting a ride after a particular flight.
No biscoff or sunchips... the list goes on

Originally Posted by DLCorpGirl
Right now, and for the foreseeable future, they'll be used as a "surprise and delight" for some of our best customers.
The phrase "surprise and delight" reminds me of "shock and awe"

Last edited by WesNSpace; Nov 9, 2011 at 12:53 pm
Old Nov 9, 2011, 1:26 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by sxf24
What exactly is the lie being told?
C'mon do you think they really don't have the program defined?

A few posters in here threw out what looked like DLCorpGal's talking points before she did. itsaboutthejourney made it pretty clear he knew details, as did Canarsie

Methinks that'd mean the info is available somewhere... Maybe CorpComm doesn't have access to that info? If so...

Originally Posted by andymo99
  • Meant to transport HVC/VIP pax
  • DL does not pay for the cars - this is a marketing agreement with Porsche, whose NA HQ is indeed ATL
  • These Porsches won't be used by any DL employees (including execs)
  • Program is managed by the "Elite Services Team"

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
I'm sure Vuelos and many of us will see some Porsche pickups, but to guarantee it -- I suspect being an Air Elite connecting customer is the answer. It's Delta's U.S. equivalent of Lufthansa First.
Doubtful. I may fly a lot but no longer on higher fare classes... with DL at least.

Originally Posted by WesNSpace
In a good way?
Old Nov 9, 2011, 9:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Vuelos
C'mon do you think they really don't have the program defined?

A few posters in here threw out what looked like DLCorpGal's talking points before she did. itsaboutthejourney made it pretty clear he knew details, as did Canarsie

Methinks that'd mean the info is available somewhere... Maybe CorpComm doesn't have access to that info? If so...
You didn't answer the question. How were you lied to?
Old Nov 10, 2011, 8:30 am

Programs: AA EXP
Highly entertaining thread.

In particular, I think we need a slow clap for posters bocastephen and mikensf74, who flat out called the OP a liar within the first five posts in the thread. I just read this entire thread and there wasn't a peep out of either one of them after this was shown to be real, so c'mon back guys for a big helping of crow!

I don't fly DL very much, but it is certainly fascinating to see them start up something like this...I wish other carriers were as creative!
Old Nov 10, 2011, 9:52 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WesNSpace
Remember the free backs of Dentyne they handed out in coach back in the early 2000s? That was part of the "surprise and delight" program.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 7:19 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Zomba
The reason for all of the schedule changes lately is that DL is working to implement metric time.

/Simpsons reference
Yesterday, my flight left at 26 Railroad.

/Family Guy reference
Old Nov 19, 2011, 2:57 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM, LH M&M Senator
Gosh, after reading all of the grief given the OP and about the subject, I almost (Almost ) hate to relate this tale. On Thursday I and another Pax were VERY late into ATL from MSY due to a mechanical delay. We were "surprised and Delighted " when we were greeted at the top of the jetway and whisked across the tarmac to our AF flight which was already in Boarding. Soooo, I'm all for the program however long it lasts. Rail at me if you will, but I'm at my final destination on schedule vs. cooling my heels in ATL or CDG. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.