Wiki Posts
Search

RIP CVG

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2011, 4:52 pm
Suspended

COMAIR

Originally Posted by RobertS975
CVG was truly a very pleasant place to connect, and my family and I have used it numerous times over the years to get to places like TUS, PHX, and PDX regularly. (The evening PDX flight used to be an MD11 that stopped in PDX before proceeding to Asia.) The main CRC was great, and if the connection was long enough, there was always Cheers to grab a bite to eat. There was enough of a flight load that one could often line up for 30 minutes or more for takeoff.

I honestly believe that the beginning of the end for CVG was the Comair strike so many years ago. But I agree with the OP... CVG had excellent ground staff. I too am sad to see it dismantled.
Yes, the COMAIR strike A N D the crash of COMAIR 5191 in Lexington. That ended COMAIR and CVG as we knew it when DL was thriving there.

Oh, there was also that beyond awful CVG Terminal C and bus connections with B and A.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 4:55 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
Does this mean that I DL will route me through MSP to go to Montana instead of SLC? SLC makes sense for those of us who do not live east of the Sierra Nevada mountains and MSP does not.
YYC-SLC service has decreased to such a level (1xdaily most of this year, has been up to 5xdaily historically) that YYC-PHX/LAS/TUS/SAN/LAX - all of them you can now route via MSP as there is often no SLC connection.

Great for MRs but not so great when you want to get somewhere something approaching expeditiously.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 5:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AMEX Plat, AA EXP, DL Diamond Medallion, US, B6, SPG Gold,Marriott Gold,Hilton Gold,Starbucks Gold
When I fly out of WAS going out west, I always choose CVG, then MEM so that I can avoid ATL and JFK at all cost with my back up being SLC. Maybe Delta has too many hubs close together, JFK, CVG, ATL, MSP, DTW with only SLC out west and "LAX" wanting to be a DL hub.

Last edited by krpjr; Jun 25, 2011 at 5:19 pm
Old Jun 25, 2011, 6:52 pm

Programs: DL Plat,AA Plat,UA 1Peon,SW(WN) Passing Grade
Well, what about the rumor/hope/dream that Southwest will move AirTran out of ATL to hub it at CVG (or STL) as more centrally-located hubs (and to avoid the frequent delays at ATL)??????

I fondly recall when CVG became at DL hub and I was living in GRR....maybe 7 or 8 GRR-CVG flights a day, including a batch of late-night CVG connections aroumd 10pm which allowed after-dinner flights from east coast to GRR! And until OKC-CVG was ended, it was the "avoid ATL" option for less stressful connections.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta - PM / MM, UA 1K Starwood-Gold
I am amused....

For a lot of you, if CVG gets the ax, it is "ces't la vie"

But when it is YOUR hub that becomes the target of de-hubbing speculation, well then the rational is hard to comprehend....
Old Jun 25, 2011, 8:27 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by peersteve
Well, what about the rumor/hope/dream that Southwest will move AirTran out of ATL to hub it at CVG (or STL) as more centrally-located hubs (and to avoid the frequent delays at ATL)??????

I fondly recall when CVG became at DL hub and I was living in GRR....maybe 7 or 8 GRR-CVG flights a day, including a batch of late-night CVG connections aroumd 10pm which allowed after-dinner flights from east coast to GRR! And until OKC-CVG was ended, it was the "avoid ATL" option for less stressful connections.
I'd love to hear about this rumor/hope. Do you have any sources for this one?
Old Jun 25, 2011, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by Feather Man
But when it is YOUR hub that becomes the target of de-hubbing speculation, well then the rational is hard to comprehend....
CVG's demise is factual, not speculation. This fall, CVG will peak at less than 130 daily departures; service keeps dwindling.

Considering there's absolutely no facts to support the notion that ATL, DTW, MSP or SLC will be de-hubbed, then yes, the rational of why some posters senselessly declare one of those hubs will cripple is hard to comprehend. At least to those of us rational enough to expect facts.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 8:55 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by Bagels
CVG's demise is factual, not speculation. This fall, CVG will peak at less than 130 daily departures; service keeps dwindling.

Considering there's absolutely no facts to support the notion that ATL, DTW, MSP or SLC will be de-hubbed, then yes, the rational of why some posters senselessly declare one of those hubs will cripple is hard to comprehend. At least to those of us rational enough to expect facts.
ATL to be de-hubbed in favor of GSP in 2015.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by pbarnette
It shouldn't surprise you. There is a contingent that has a story to tell (DL destroying NW) that will twist trivial schedule changes into something they are not. There is also the issue that people who live in the DTW area live in the DTW area and have abandoned hope as a result.
Originally Posted by avidflyer
How does this have anything to do with NW airlines? Other than they were using DTW I have no idea how you are making this leap...a lot of airlines used and still use DTW...what does that have to do with the claim that DL is planning to de-hub DTW????

And, where and who in this thread are suggesting anything about NW airlines except YOU? WHERE?
Perhaps there is a contingent that has a story to tell about people allegedly having a story to tell about DL destroying NW... and on top of it they then trash talk other folks' hometown.

Petty swings both ways. Isn't about time that the WE vs THEY BS ends, on both sides of the hyperbole generator?
Old Jun 25, 2011, 9:20 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Feather Man
I am amused....

For a lot of you, if CVG gets the ax, it is "ces't la vie"

I have no hub. The closest thing to it was DCA, but they are swapping slots with US to get more LGA slots.

I'm only arguing with you to defend my hometown (DTW), which has been sh*t on enough these last three years

I have to connect everywhere except to ICN, CDG, AMS, LAX, ATL, DTW, MSP.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 1:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by avidflyer
Thank you for the explanation. I guess I don't see it because the merger happened 2 years ago..I look at DTW as a Delta Hub and when NW was around it was a NW hub. I just do not see any relevance to its future and I certainly do not think there is an evil plan to destroy it, quite the opposite IMO.
Just to be clear, I don't think DTW is going anywhere. I don't buy the MSP rumors, either. I have been consistent in saying this pretty much every time this topic comes up. I also view DTW as a Delta hub and could care less whether it once belonged to NW.

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Petty swings both ways. Isn't about time that the WE vs THEY BS ends, on both sides of the hyperbole generator?
There is no hyperbole. There was simply an observation that there is a group of members that do think DL can't see beyond ATL/is destroying everything great about NW/is not a global airline, and repeat these claims, ad nauseum. You do it in this very thread! If you don't want people to comment on these statements, and draw logical connections from them, then don't repeat them.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Personally while I feel for the OP's loss, the fact that I'm hub captive is also equally as sad as DL and previously NW squashed competition. While places like ORD/MKE aren't owned by a single carrier, competition is nice.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 9:14 am

Programs: AA-EXP, UA, WN, DL- zilch by choice, IHG-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hilton Gold,
Well, I understand the OP's frustration and sense of betrayal. Dealing with the downsizing and eventual loss of a hub at your home airport is akin to the steps one goes through in the grief process-- denial, anger, despression, and finally acceptance.

But nothing is as ephemeral as an airline's commitment to a hub. And as for long-term planning and promises, there is too much instability in the industry for an airline to make any rational commitments to a hub or to forecast beyond a year at a time. There's no real way to predict what is best for its route and cost structures beyond that time frame due to variables and events beyond an individual carrier's control.

That said, it is painful to hear the comments of commitment an airline might make to a hub city. One wants to believe them. And while they may not be outright lies, they are statements and claims that cannot really be counted on. Just after AA announced the closure of its RDU hub, I listened to Bob Crandall in Nashville state "the BNA hub is safe". Just a few months later, AA announced that BNA, too, would be closed. AA had no idea it was going to close its BNA hub just a few months before it did so. Really?

As an aside, I am currently booked on a BNA-CVG-CDG flight for a trip next spring. I've already been wondering if my eventual connection will be at DTW or ATL.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pokeable
I have no hub. The closest thing to it was DCA, but they are swapping slots with US to get more LGA slots.
You hit the nail on the head. As soon as this swap deal is approved (and most think it will be this time) DL will need tons of RJs to utilize those new LGA slots. The current DL DCA flying is tiny in comparison and not nearly enough to support the planned operation at LGA. Where do you think they are going to come from? CVG and MEM for sure.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 1:46 pm

Programs: DL ♦, Marriot Plt, NATL EE
Im already missing CVG for connections. Since I fly primarily YCA fares (read government) I would often schedule my flights through CVG just to avoid ATL in the summer. This year thanks to the pull down of CVG I've flown more through ATL than I ever wanted too...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.