RIP CVG

Old Jun 11, 2020, 1:47 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro, UA Premier Platinum, IHG Platinum Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by xliioper
I doubt it will last for long. DL has 16 daily flights in July to AA's 13.
ummmm, AA has 20 daily flights in July from CVG....
July 10
5 ORD
5 CLT
4 DFW
3 PHL
2 MIA
1 DCA
Old Jun 11, 2020, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MIDWESTERNFLYER
ummmm, AA has 20 daily flights in July from CVG....
July 10
5 ORD
5 CLT
4 DFW
3 PHL
2 MIA
1 DCA
Hmm, I was relying on this past week's OAG Changes post. It looks like the July schedule does not actually match what was loaded in OAG.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Great News for CVG

Great news for CVG. Has nothing to do with airline service but makes CVG a better airport nonetheless. Ive often advocated on here for the adding of a Skyline rather than that awful Gold Star Chili. Well its happening! Skyline to replace Gold Star at CVG. Ask and you shall receive! 😃
https:/www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2023/03/22/skyline-replaces-gold-star-cvg.amp.html
Old Mar 25, 2023, 4:15 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Prfrence
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Great news for CVG. Has nothing to do with airline service but makes CVG a better airport nonetheless. Ive often advocated on here for the adding of a Skyline rather than that awful Gold Star Chili. Well its happening! Skyline to replace Gold Star at CVG. Ask and you shall receive! 😃
https:/www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2023/03/22/skyline-replaces-gold-star-cvg.amp.html
I liked Gold Star. Their CVG location was probably my favorite concession stand in any airport in the country. I particularly liked the chili over spaghetti. Their fries were pretty good too.

On your recommendation, I'll have to try Skyline; they have two locations somewhat near me; on Mayfield Road (near the Micro Center computer store I frequent, I think that is I-271 Exit 34)) and one in Stow, between downtown Cleveland and Akron.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 4:21 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Prfrence
Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
CVG is definitely more pleasant these days, but the Concourse C days were not fun at all.
Although I always enjoyed the Cobus 3000 buses that ran over to Concourse C.
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 5:18 am

Programs: DL DM 2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium/Ambassador Elite , Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
If only Blue Ash or Price Hill Chili would have gone in instead of Skyline….not a fan of either macro chili chain. So many great chili parlors in Greater Cincinnati that serve great food other than chili….double deckers, etc.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ND76
Although I always enjoyed the Cobus 3000 buses that ran over to Concourse C.
Haha.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 9:56 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I had to go to CVG for work this week. Delta hasn't brought their RDU-CVG flight back. AA has one nonstop now but it's terribly timed. Flying through ATL really increases the trip time so I flew AA via DCA out and UA via IAD back.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CMK10
I had to go to CVG for work this week. Delta hasn't brought their RDU-CVG flight back. AA has one nonstop now but it's terribly timed. Flying through ATL really increases the trip time so I flew AA via DCA out and UA via IAD back.
How much did it add given RDU-ATL happens nine times a day and ATL-CVG happens six times a day? There are also connections available via DCA and DTW. More out of the way connections are LGA and MSP and, strangely enough, EWR. But I will admit that given the markets, I am surprised that Delta doesn't have a CVG-RDU nonstop.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by CMK10
How much trip time does it really add? Going via ATL is only ~100 miles additional flying distance compared to going via DC. That's about 15 min in the air. Seems like the main factor here would be the timing on the connections. And wouldn't CLT have been the "least" mileage option here?

Also, are all of your hops on connection carriers? I'm pretty sure everything between ATL and CVG and ATL and RDU are all mainline so I'd be more apt to take an all mainline option over a connection option if timing is a big factor.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by indufan
How much did it add given RDU-ATL happens nine times a day and ATL-CVG happens six times a day? There are also connections available via DCA and DTW. More out of the way connections are LGA and MSP and, strangely enough, EWR. But I will admit that given the markets, I am surprised that Delta doesn't have a CVG-RDU nonstop.
Only ATL, LGA, JFK, DTW connections are allowed by fare rules. You can force DCA, EWR, and MSP connections with multi-city search, but they will be broken fares and delta.com and Google Flights will force stopovers (connection over 4 hours).

Most of the non-hub, pre-Covid RJ only routes out of CVG have not returned (BWI/BDL/CLT/DFW/IAH/MCI/ORD/PHL/RDU/STL). Only the DCA, EWR, and AUS non-hub RJ routes have returned. RDU might have a chance because of focus city status, but the others seem unlikely with RJ pilot shortages.
indufan likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Apr 19, 2023 at 11:24 am
Old Apr 19, 2023, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xliioper
Only ATL, LGA, JFK, DTW connections are allowed by fare rules. You can force DCA, EWR, and MSP connections with multi-city search, but they will be broken fares and delta.com and Google Flights will force stopovers (connection over 4 hours).

Most of the non-hub, pre-Covid RJ only routes out of CVG have not returned (BWI/BDL/CLT/DFW/IAH/MCI/ORD/PHL/RDU/STL). Only the DCA, EWR, and AUS non-hub RJ routes have returned. RDU might have a chance because of focus city status, but the others seem unlikely with RJ pilot shortages.
Doesn't EWR count via the NYC indicator?
Old Apr 20, 2023, 6:10 pm

Programs: Free agent; tend to fly DL and UA most
Doesn't EWR count via the NYC indicator?
Up until late last year: https://simpleflying.com/newark-iata-nyc-airport/
indufan likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2023, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by muaddib89
Thanks, although I am not sure that is binding on DL.
muaddib89 likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2023, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by indufan
Thanks, although I am not sure that is binding on DL.
You can use advanced controls on ITA Matrix to force EWR connections (X:EWR). All the options presented when searching this way show as broken fares which seems pretty clear that EWR is not a valid routing.
indufan and muaddib89 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.