RIP CVG

Old Jul 8, 2011, 1:51 pm

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by Feather Man
But I am still so pissed off I doubt I will ever feel the same way again about DL. I feel like CVG has been lied to and betrayed, the faithful wife left for the skank pole dancer named DTW. I am the idiot that supported DL even when air fares were the highest in the USA...for over 10 years ! Or the fact that my fellow CVG flyers who would go to DAY to take their trips (that would connect through CVG) and pay $400.00 less for their ticket and still have a higher fare designation, and thus getting the upgrade that should have gone to a flyer who was paying $400.00 more for two segments less.
You can insult my city, county, state, mayors, governors, governments, industry, unions, or mass transportation, yet don't ever, ever, insult my airport...

Seriously, after having been to quite a few domestic and international airports (hubs, and out-stations, and ok, more then quite a few), I can't remember an airport even close to the quality and simplicity of DTW.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by sbagdon
You can insult my city, county, state, mayors, governors, governments, industry, unions, or mass transportation, yet don't ever, ever, insult my airport...

Seriously, after having been to quite a few domestic and international airports (hubs, and out-stations, and ok, more then quite a few), I can't remember an airport even close to the quality and simplicity of DTW.
DTW > CVG, every day of the week and twice on Sunday's.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Baby, if you ever wondered,
wondered what ever became of me.
I'm flying on a mini jet with Barbie,
Barbie jet from here at CVG.

Got kind of tired packing and unpacking,
Up to Dayton, on the seventy-five.
These Barbie jets and me were never meant to be,
But baby think of me once in awhile.

I am flying in the air from Cincinnati.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 3:39 pm

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
CVG, PIT, BWI the hubs of the 1990s. CRJs and ERJs the equipment of the 1990s. Two strikes against CVG.

CVG a midwest hub that ain't really in the midwest, 3 strikes your're out.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta - PM / MM, UA 1K Starwood-Gold
Originally Posted by sbagdon
You can insult my city, county, state, mayors, governors, governments, industry, unions, or mass transportation, yet don't ever, ever, insult my airport
You are absolutely right. An apology is due.

I send my sincerest regrets to all of the skank pole dancers for comparing them to DTW

No doubt that DTW is a very nice airport. The problem is that they are the "hussie" that stole my hub
Old Jul 8, 2011, 5:01 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, UA 2P
DL cutting service to a second if not 3rd tier rust belt city that is wedged between one of their biggest hubs and one of their smaller hubs, STOP THE PRESSES!!!!!!!!!!!!! We have to alert someone
Old Jul 8, 2011, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta - PM / MM, UA 1K Starwood-Gold
Originally Posted by millsdale
DL cutting service to a second if not 3rd tier rust belt city that is wedged between one of their biggest hubs and one of their smaller hubs, STOP THE PRESSES!!!!!!!!!!!!! We have to alert someone
Outstanding observation, Deputy Fife !

I'm going to promote you to Captain Obvious
Old Jul 8, 2011, 5:32 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by AAce24
DTW > CVG, every day of the week and twice on Sunday's.
I'll agree with the twice on Sundays, just because Chick Fil A is closed on Sundays.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 9:33 pm

Programs: Status... we don't need no stinkin' status
Originally Posted by mersk862
Give me Interstate BBQ over chili any day of the week
+1 ^

I had their ribs for the first time Monday... I even bought the frozen ribs to take back to YVR
Old Jul 9, 2011, 12:36 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, UA 2P
Originally Posted by Feather Man
Outstanding observation, Deputy Fife !

I'm going to promote you to Captain Obvious
Seeing on this and on airliners.net of how people feel shocked blindsided betrayed about delta drawing down at cog do not really seem to notice those two glaring reasons why cvg is losing service
Old Jul 9, 2011, 6:02 am

Programs: DL Silver
Originally Posted by channa

Awesome ... love it!

Although ... I am STILL regularly making the drive up (or down) the seventy-five from Fort Thomas, Kentucky ... as Delta airfares are STILL regularly $400-$500 cheaper out of DAY and LEX versus CVG! (at least the routes I fly, which is most often CVG-MSP).
Old Jul 9, 2011, 3:03 pm

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by NittanyLion
Although ... I am STILL regularly making the drive up (or down) the seventy-five from Fort Thomas, Kentucky ... as Delta airfares are STILL regularly $400-$500 cheaper out of DAY and LEX versus CVG! (at least the routes I fly, which is most often CVG-MSP).
When is a fortress hub not a fortress?

When you can make the short trek to DAY and pay hundreds less.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by channa

awesome!
Old Jul 10, 2011, 9:44 am

I just started using CVG as my connection point last month, and I love going through there. You can definitely tell things are slowing down, but I still love going through there.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 9:56 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Bagels
There's a sentiment within these forums among a small faction that DL's out to destroy NW's heritage, and thus he's suggesting that sentiment may be fueling the claims of DTW's dehubbing.
There's no natural reason to keep dtw as a hub. Once MEM goes (if it hasn't in your opinion gone already), dtw will be next.

Hubs deserve to exist when there's both a strong o&d market and it is a strategically located connection point. O&d volume is falling at dtw, and with msp relatively nearby (nullifies the strategic connection value), dtw doesn't serve much purpose. Indeed, the population of Detroit is now lower than it was in 1910 - a negative compounded growth rate over 100 years! Not a lot on the horizon to make me think that trend is going to change any time soon.

This isn't about killing nw heritage, it's about trying to make a buck. Recall, DL is a profit seeking business. Heck, I suspect the Detroit municipal employees pension fund is a delta shareholder! I imagine they'd like a good return on their shares.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.