Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2018, 6:24 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
My flight was booked last-minute, 3 hours before departure. I would’ve booked F but none were available. Don’t really care as it’s a 30-minute flight. The next ATL>LAX was also sold out in F. ;-(

This last minute crap sucks.

Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:28 pm

OK... well... I guess I’d file this under “Wonders never cease.”

Last-minute HSV>LAX tonight. All F is booked, but manage to get a seat and am assigned 28D on DL1775 ATL>LAX. Flight is F0. I’ll live.

Just before the boarding door closes, GA boards, walks back, and hands me a BP for 2D. I boarded with PREM never imagining for a second that a UG was a possibility— especially after having tried to buy F and being told nothing was available.

Go figure. I’ll take a pleasant surprise any day.

Now how to find out the GA’s name and get a thanks out to her? She whooshed off the plane before I could ask.

NotHamSarnie likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by TheHorta
... Last-minute HSV>LAX tonight. All F is booked, but manage to get a seat and am assigned 28D on DL1775 ATL>LAX. Flight is F0. I’ll live.

Just before the boarding door closes, GA boards, walks back, and hands me a BP for 2D. I boarded with PREM never imagining for a second that a UG was a possibility— especially after having tried to buy F and being told nothing was available.

Go figure. I’ll take a pleasant surprise any day.
great, but probably a better piece of anecdata for the "YBYL Policy is Now More Flexible" thread
TheHorta likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767
great, but probably a better piece of anecdata for the "YBYL Policy is Now More Flexible" thread
FYI — I hope you haven’t trademarked “anecdata” — because I’m stealing it.
DiamondInTheRough likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 8:46 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I boarded with PREM never imagining for a second that a UG was a possibility— especially after having tried to buy F and being told nothing was available.
no-shows are more common than people think
TheHorta likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 9:20 am

I think you ended up 50-50 yesterday.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by OHDL1
I think you ended up 50-50 yesterday.
I'd go with a weighted scoring and call it 90-10. An upgrade ATL-LAX >> upgrade HSV-ATL. And harder to come by.

edit: And ATL is not renowned for coming on-board to perform upgrades. I don't know about HSV, but we have a good team here and I think they would. I've always been upgraded before boarding in HSV or FC is full as I board.
OHDL1 and TheHorta like this.

Last edited by DiverDave; Aug 27, 2018 at 10:04 am
Old Aug 27, 2018, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
FYI — I hope you haven’t trademarked “anecdata” — because I’m stealing it.
it first appeared in the DL forum a bit over six years ago ... I’ve used it more times than I can remember in other conversations outside FT
TheHorta likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 11:08 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
This really isn’t shena, just more inconsistency from Delta that made me wonder if this has come up before. I flew round trip in basic economy, and both legs had open comfort plus seats after gate upgrades were processed. Seeing that on the app, I asked the gate agent if as silver could I get one of those c+ seats? Outbound the agent did so with no hesitation. Returning the GA told me he could but not for free and said he would have to price it. I declined since I had an aisle anyway. And then those seats went to standbys, which I assume were nonrevs. Has it happened to anyone else too?

Sorry if if this has been mentioned before, but I am not scrolling thru 3000+ posts to see. lol
Old Aug 31, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by DavidDTW
This really isn’t shena, just more inconsistency from Delta that made me wonder if this has come up before. I flew round trip in basic economy, and both legs had open comfort plus seats after gate upgrades were processed. Seeing that on the app, I asked the gate agent if as silver could I get one of those c+ seats? Outbound the agent did so with no hesitation. Returning the GA told me he could but not for free and said he would have to price it. I declined since I had an aisle anyway. And then those seats went to standbys, which I assume were nonrevs. Has it happened to anyone else too?
You don't need to scroll through- the restrictions of your E ticket told you that upgrades to C+ or F were explicitly excluded.

Can a gate agent be nice and assign you one of those seats if they're left at the end of their seat assignment process? Sure. But it's totally discretionary hence why you experienced inconsistency (the second agent was actually technically completely correct)

The empty seats go to standbys because they may not be on E fares, maybe be NRSA and thus entitled to the best seat available at time of assignment, or all other seats are full and the gate agent has to seat them somewhere.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 8:36 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Could be also SDS who bought C+ on a different flight and tried to get on yours.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 3:30 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Out of sheer boredom I watched the upgrade list for 2564 ATL-PBI today all the way up until door close (had just gotten off a redeye from PDX).
There was 2 F and 3 C+ seats with 3 people on the C+ upgrade list.

13B next to me was filled with an NRSA boarding pass and no one ever cleared on the app or the GIDS. Would assume the other two C+ seats were filled the same way. As an FYI she had the boarding pass plain as day on top of her tablet. When the lady got off the plane she went right to the PBI SC and was saying hi and hugging all the employees. I went in also to say hi to my favorite employee in there.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 3:33 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
and this is shena because? Lots of people on the C+ "upgrade" list do not want middle seats.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 8:01 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by pvn
and this is shena because? Lots of people on the C+ "upgrade" list do not want middle seats.
They would still show up on the app and GIDS as upgraded, right, before declining the upgrade?
Unless you are thinking the GA called them up to inform then they would be in a middle C+ seat and they declined. Or maybe all 3 went to the GA and declined the middle seat upgrade (never mind the other two seats were 10 and 11 on the aisle and only one was a middle seat).
Odds of this happening are less than me getting an upgrade on an ATL-PBI flight IMO.

Last edited by apodo77; Nov 3, 2018 at 5:38 am
Old Nov 2, 2018, 8:36 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I thought there was a checkbox at OLCI now to say you only want a C+ upgrade if it's an aisle or window? Was that just a trial run and they didn't end up rolling it out to everyone, or...?
AeRoSpaceman likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.