Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2018, 8:01 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by AviationFreak
Granted there’s weather in ATL right now, but my flight 494 to DFW just left the gate with 6 open in F and a longish upgrade list. Needless to say we also left the gate early.
On a plane waiting to take off from ATL and been taxing forever as it rains and lighting.
Doubt you took offf any time soon after the door was closed.
Bravo to another fine ATL GA.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 8:05 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by apodo77
Bravo to another fine ATL GA.
Just curious, but does anyone think that perhaps some GAs have some resentment toward "elite" pax who expect UGs, and like to exercise their "power" as a sort-of personal enjoyment?

Seriously, what else would compel a GA to send a plane with a half-empty F cabin?
Old Jun 13, 2018, 8:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Please report this. Minor weather issues shouldn't prevent GAs from doing their jobs.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 8:40 pm

Programs: DL, UA
Originally Posted by TheHorta
Just curious, but does anyone think that perhaps some GAs have some resentment toward "elite" pax who expect UGs, and like to exercise their "power" as a sort-of personal enjoyment?

Seriously, what else would compel a GA to send a plane with a half-empty F cabin?
While this may be the case, I suspect it's more about the on-time departure. Upgrading one person to F doesn't take much time. Even upgrading 2 people doesn't take that long. But finding and upgrading 6 people could take quite a few minutes.
Fly_Delta_Jets and TheHorta like this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 9:18 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles KM, Sky Club/Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by AviationFreak
Granted there’s weather in ATL right now, but my flight 494 to DFW just left the gate with 6 open in F and a longish upgrade list. Needless to say we also left the gate early.
If the tower says to go, the GA has no choice but to go. The gate was probably needed by one of the many delayed arrivals due to the weather.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 9:36 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by WidgetKid
But finding and upgrading 6 people could take quite a few minutes.
Yes, I can certainly see how it could take a while.

I won't go into my usual rant - - Just a simple statement that: Many, MANY other airlines have done it for YEARS without affecting on-time departure.
GoAmtrak likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by Fly_Delta_Jets
If the tower says to go, the GA has no choice but to go. The gate was probably needed by one of the many delayed arrivals due to the weather.
Please... Statements like this suggest that if there's a bit a "weather", all bets are off with regard to GAs performing to their duties.

About a week ago, I was again on the BOS->ORD (AA). Departure is showing as 19:20 due to weather (from 17:26 originally scheduled), then at about 18:00, departure is moved back up to 18:30. GA at the gate boarded the plane and UG'd multiple passengers. I've seen this play out multiple times on both AA and UA. Yes, it's an Embraer and yes it's AA in my example, but "tower says go" is a "no go" for abdication of GA duties

This thread really has been eye opening. If I have to connect, and it involves ATL, I'm looking elsewhere... in part because of this excuse making.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by WidgetKid
While this may be the case, I suspect it's more about the on-time departure. Upgrading one person to F doesn't take much time. Even upgrading 2 people doesn't take that long. But finding and upgrading 6 people could take quite a few minutes.
Yeah, it takes an eternity for the scanner to print out 6 little pieces of paper with new seat assignments for upgraded passengers as they board.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by GatorBlues
Yeah, it takes an eternity for the scanner to print out 6 little pieces of paper with new seat assignments for upgraded passengers as they board.
Actually, with those Delta scanners, it sometimes does take an eternity. Those things are slow!

But yeah, those people are going to have to sit down someplace. Might as well not have them walk to the back of the plane.

Mike
Old Jun 18, 2018, 3:30 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
I think I just got shena'd out of an economy comfort seat but I'm not sure. Can somebody who knows more than me help clarify before I write a complaint? It's only a half hour flight so I don't really care beyond the principle of the thing. Here's what the situation was.

​​​​​​When the GA opened up the flight there were four seats open in C+ and coach was full except for the last few gate controlled seats. There were two FAs in uniform that were up chatting with him when he opened the flight. Before clearing anybody from C he gave them a pair of bulkhead C+ seats. The end result was I ended up one shy of an upgrade. Did I just get shena'd?
Old Jun 18, 2018, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by Zeeb
I think I just got shena'd out of an economy comfort seat but I'm not sure. Can somebody who knows more than me help clarify before I write a complaint? It's only a half hour flight so I don't really care beyond the principle of the thing. Here's what the situation was.

​​​​​​When the GA opened up the flight there were four seats open in C+ and coach was full except for the last few gate controlled seats. There were two FAs in uniform that were up chatting with him when he opened the flight. Before clearing anybody from C he gave them a pair of bulkhead C+ seats. The end result was I ended up one shy of an upgrade. Did I just get shena'd?
If they were traveling positive space/confirmed, then not likely Shena. IIRC positive space crew are confirmed in M class and eligible for 24hr-advance Comfort+ upgrades (not using the upgrade list—similar to how FO benefits work).
Old Jun 18, 2018, 6:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Widgets

If they were traveling positive space/confirmed, then not likely Shena. IIRC positive space crew are confirmed in M class and eligible for 24hr-advance Comfort+ upgrades (not using the upgrade list—similar to how FO benefits work).
If they were traveling positive space, wouldn't they already be confirmed on the flight and therefore appear on the upgrade list?

I understand the "OP" here to say that these two seats didn't appear to be given to the top names on the upgrade list or in fact anywhere on the upgrade list.

Does confirmed in M class mean that an revenue passenger with a Y or B fare class would be entitled to the "upgrade" to C+ before the FAs traveling as positive space? This doesn't seem to make sense as the customer's elite tier should be the highest priority determination on position on the upgrade list, so I'm confused. Or does M class just mean main cabin? Are they added to the very top of the upgrade list, above everyone else? What if someone (a customer or revenue passenger) has purchased a W class fare but doesn't have a C+ seat assignment?
Old Jun 19, 2018, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Widgets

However since they have no elite status they should clear after FOs. Thus the OP should've cleared before the FA. Elite level trumps all since they did away with instant upgrades for Y passengers.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 6:25 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If they were traveling positive space, wouldn't they already be confirmed on the flight and therefore appear on the upgrade list?

I understand the "OP" here to say that these two seats didn't appear to be given to the top names on the upgrade list or in fact anywhere on the upgrade list.

Does confirmed in M class mean that an revenue passenger with a Y or B fare class would be entitled to the "upgrade" to C+ before the FAs traveling as positive space? This doesn't seem to make sense as the customer's elite tier should be the highest priority determination on position on the upgrade list, so I'm confused. Or does M class just mean main cabin? Are they added to the very top of the upgrade list, above everyone else? What if someone (a customer or revenue passenger) has purchased a W class fare but doesn't have a C+ seat assignment?

Correct, they were not on the list at all. And I had been rebooked in to Y class after missing my earlier connection due to weather. So a PM with a Y ticket and no companions. I was 4th on the list so presumably the 3 people ahead of me were Diamonds. The FAs were placed in to C+ before anybody on the list was cleared.It was DL 5048 from DTW-CLE on June 18th.

Last edited by Zeeb; Jun 19, 2018 at 6:31 am
Old Jun 19, 2018, 7:19 am

Programs: Delta DM, MM
I see this happening all the time. You need to approach the gate agent to get this upgrade at most airports. They process the first class upgrades and ignore the comfort plus ones

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.