Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
My understanding was that the aisle/window option only was available at OLCI if you have automatic C+ upgrades deselected in your profile.
It does not have to be 'deselected' in your profile, or even your flight. At least has been my experience.

My settings preference and flight preference is always set to request C+ upgrade, I check at the window if I am "upgraded" to a middle, I put myself back to Main Cabin. Then at check in I will get the aisle/window box.

Usually my original Main Cabin seat is available to go back to, but it could result in a worse seat, so not necessarily advocating this approach.

Also, I suppose this scenario won't work for FO, but works for GM.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by defrosted
It does not have to be 'deselected' in your profile, or even your flight. At least has been my experience.

My settings preference and flight preference is always set to request C+ upgrade, I check at the window if I am "upgraded" to a middle, I put myself back to Main Cabin. Then at check in I will get the aisle/window box.

Usually my original Main Cabin seat is available to go back to, but it could result in a worse seat, so not necessarily advocating this approach.

Also, I suppose this scenario won't work for FO, but works for GM.
Why do you think it wouldn't work for FO? Although their upgrade window is smaller, it could still work
Old Nov 10, 2018, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by MarkP24
Why do you think it wouldn't work for FO? Although their upgrade window is smaller, it could still work
It was an assumption on my part that because check in and upgrade for FO is both at t-24 you would not be able to downgrade yourself and then check in.

My assumption was mainly based on not understanding how this works in conjunction with the app checking you in automatically. If you are already checked in when you downgrade yourself I don't see when the aisle window question would be asked. Other than by a GA which did happen to me once, they called me up to see if I wanted a middle C+ seat, I politely declined. They must not be able to see that I already removed myself from the middle seat upgrade.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
It was an assumption on my part that because check in and upgrade for FO is both at t-24 you would not be able to downgrade yourself and then check in.

My assumption was mainly based on not understanding how this works in conjunction with the app checking you in automatically. If you are already checked in when you downgrade yourself I don't see when the aisle window question would be asked. Other than by a GA which did happen to me once, they called me up to see if I wanted a middle C+ seat, I politely declined. They must not be able to see that I already removed myself from the middle seat upgrade.
You don't need to check in at the upgrade window. Also, even once you're checked in, I believe you'd be able to change the seat from a middle in C+ to an aisle or window in Y
Old Nov 11, 2018, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by MarkP24
You don't need to check in at the upgrade window. Also, even once you're checked in, I believe you'd be able to change the seat from a middle in C+ to an aisle or window in Y
But doesn't the app auto check in?
You can change your seat, but after check in you won't get the C+ aisle/window only upgrade check box, which is why I assumed my suggestion wouldn't work for FO.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
But doesn't the app auto check in?
You can change your seat, but after check in you won't get the C+ aisle/window only upgrade check box, which is why I assumed my suggestion wouldn't work for FO.
The app only auto-checks-in if you allow it to. An FO could just go to the website to change their seat or open the app and X out of the check in prompts to get into the app without checking in.
Howste and MarkP24 like this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 10:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This weekend I noticed a couple oddities with the standby and upgrade lists and I'd like opinions regarding what happened. None of this affected me, so these are just observations.

1. A flight had lots of empty seats (according to EF) and always more available seats than people on the standby list according to the DL app, but we then apparently left with a couple people still on the standby list and not cleared for the flight, despite the app still showing something like four seats available. At first I was envisioning nonrevs being left at the gate because they had annoyed the GA or weren't dressed properly (which would be hard to do according to current rules for a seat in coach), but then I started thinking that it could have been someone with an E class ticked who no showed or had a late connection. However, if so, shouldn't the person have been confirmed onto the flight by the GA (and thus show a seat assignment on the app) and then simply fail to board?

2. An international flight with again lots of empty seats, where D1 availability went from something like 7 to 3 within about six hours of departure and PS availability went from 19 to having the entire PS seat map filled. No one was on the upgrade list on the app for D1 or PS, but there was a long list of folks on the standby list, consistently slightly under the number of available seats according to the app. As departure time approached, people were cleared into coach seats and the D1 cabin was filled. However, with no D1 seats showing as bing assigned to anyone on the standby list and never anyone on the upgrade list, so could that mean that these seats were filled as cheap paid upgrades at the airport? I guess there could have been a VDB on another routing being rebooked onto my flight or something similar to account for only a small number of seats. The PS cabin is harder to understand. According to the app, no one from the standby list was given a PS seat and there was no one on the upgrade list and no upgrades listed. Yet those 19 available PS seats were filled--in fact, when I peaked into the PS cabin to see for myself what how the new cabin looked, it was full--and there was never an indication that the seats were assigned to anyone on the standby list (and no one was on the upgrade list). Yet according to EF, the PS cabin went from being less than half full to being totally full a couple hours before departure, which would have been before the GA arrived at the gate to do any upgrades or seat assignment. These shouldn't have been OPUPs either as coach didn't seem to be overbooked. The standby list grew as departure approached, but I don't think there ever were more standbys listed than the number of available seats. [I suspect some nonrevs flocked to the flight at the last minute for a fun trip probably in a premium cabin, with the odds looking great for at least getting PS.] I was asked to bid for a VDB at check in but when I asked at the airport, I was told that the flight wasn't overbooked or oversold. AFAIK in order for DL to need to do OPUPs, there first would have been more people on the standby list than available seats (which I assume would show on the app as the total number of open seats, D1 + PS + coach, right?), where only those who are confirmed on the flight count for this, not nonrevs and normally not SDS (although some mercy might be shown if weather IROPs were expected, etc., but this was an international flight where no one should have been doing SDS, so that the standby list would consist only of confirmed passengers without seat assignments (including E fares) and nonrevs.

Both cases just looked very strange to me. Any insights? I'm curious about what I observed. I know there can be last minute ticket sales, but 19 PS seats?

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Nov 19, 2018 at 10:30 pm
Old Nov 19, 2018, 10:22 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Deleted--posted twice.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Nov 19, 2018 at 10:30 pm Reason: Wifi issues
Old Nov 19, 2018, 10:48 pm

If the flight was payload optimized, then some seats would need to stay empty and lowest priority nonrevs would be left behind.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by Widgets
If the flight was payload optimized, then some seats would need to stay empty and lowest priority nonrevs would be left behind.
Good point, but it was a domestic flight on a 717 of under a thousand miles in good weather, so I wouldn't have thought that this would be pushing the envelope for the aircraft. It's also not a route where I'd expect to see a lot of cargo business, but of course there can be surprises.....

BTW, if seats are being left empty for payload optimization (which I believe would mean VDBs/IDBs if the flight had been full, right?), would they show as available seats for standbys on the app or would they already be subtracted out?
Old Nov 20, 2018, 12:01 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This weekend I noticed a couple oddities with the standby and upgrade lists and I'd like opinions regarding what happened. None of this affected me, so these are just observations.

1. A flight had lots of empty seats (according to EF) and always more available seats than people on the standby list according to the DL app, but we then apparently left with a couple people still on the standby list and not cleared for the flight, despite the app still showing something like four seats available. At first I was envisioning nonrevs being left at the gate because they had annoyed the GA or weren't dressed properly (which would be hard to do according to current rules for a seat in coach), but then I started thinking that it could have been someone with an E class ticked who no showed or had a late connection. However, if so, shouldn't the person have been confirmed onto the flight by the GA (and thus show a seat assignment on the app) and then simply fail to board?

Both cases just looked very strange to me. Any insights? I'm curious about what I observed. I know there can be last minute ticket sales, but 19 PS seats?
Isn't it possible for folks to activate themselves on the standby list but then not actually show up for the standby flight?
Old Nov 20, 2018, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by Widgets
And, when non-revs are not boarded, they are automatically listed for the next flight. Over time, they may be pushed to numerous later flights and they give up and go home and are effectively no shows when a flight finally has seats.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Regarding #1 , I've seen people who no-showed for a flight end up on the standby list after the door closed, even if they originally had confirmed seat assignments.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

BE pax aren't shown on the standby list on the app (or website), but the empty seats they're going to be assigned to do show up in the seat count.

E.g. 10 BE pax, 20 standbys, the app shows 25 seats available, then 5 standbys don't get on.

If the GA is running late, they might not clear all the nonrevs.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by xooz
And, when non-revs are not boarded, they are automatically listed for the next flight. Over time, they may be pushed to numerous later flights and they give up and go home and are effectively no shows when a flight finally has seats.
It's not automatic, the GA has to roll them over. Sometimes they forget.

Also, that only works if the next flight is within 5 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.