Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2019, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by dmac7273
A seat assignment ticket being printed out doesn't always mean it was an upgrade. I couldn't tell you why, but I have been upgraded at the 5 days out before so my boarding pass shows 1A, but the printer prints out the same exact seat assignment after scanning my boarding pass.

Might be shena, but might not be. Hard to know unless we knew more about the people in 1A and 1B
And....the flight number (at least..) and city pair.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 12:23 pm

They might've scanned the wrong boarding pass or used a skymiles card to board. Both of which print a seat assignment slip.
So yes, a chance of Shena, but more than likely not.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 1:04 pm

And even if 1A and 1B were showing as 'empty' before, these pax might be SDC from a different flight in F or IRROPS affected F, in both cases they can clear into F without being on upgrade list
Old Apr 18, 2019, 9:54 am

Here's a screenshot from the upgrade lists for a flight yesterday. I'm a diamond and was using a RUC, and I was behind both of these folks, so I assume they must have been using RUCs as well.

I can't figure out how ISR/A is ahead of TIL/J on the Delta Comfort upgrade list but TIL/J is ahead of ISR/A on the Delta One upgrade list.

Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:03 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by enoscabell
Here's a screenshot from the upgrade lists for a flight yesterday. I'm a diamond and was using a RUC, and I was behind both of these folks, so I assume they must have been using RUCs as well.

I can't figure out how ISR/A is ahead of TIL/J on the Delta Comfort upgrade list but TIL/J is ahead of ISR/A on the Delta One upgrade list.

Possible explanation ... ISR/A was originally booked in Delta Comfort Plus on another (cancelled) flight but has less status than TIL/J.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by enoscabell

My guess (assuming same status tier and same fare class, etc.) would be that ISR/A purchased the ticket earlier but TIL/J requested the instrument supported (RUC if domestic, otherwise GUC) upgrade to D1 first. Time of request is the final tiebreaker and the C+ "upgrade" request would be automatic from many people's profile settings, while one must decide to use a RUC/GUC and call DL to do so.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
What are the rules about priority for RUC upgrades? Do they follow the free medallion upgrade rules entirely?
Old Apr 18, 2019, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by sethb
What are the rules about priority for RUC upgrades? Do they follow the free medallion upgrade rules entirely?
I don't think that the rules are published anywhere that we would have access to them, but experience and anecdotal reports (and logic) suggest that the tiebreaker rules would be the same, just at a tier above the comp upgrade process.

My theory is that a DM on a Y/B/M with a Reserve and a "corporate travel designator" using an RUC would rank above a DM with the same fare, card, etc. But.... I ALSO believe that an FO on an L/U/T/V fare who is using an RUC that they earned last year before dropping status would also be ahead of a DM on Y/B/M, Reserve card, etc.

So in my imagination, it would look like this:
  1. RUC/GUC (for domestic I believe that they are equal*)
    1. Medallion Level
    2. Fare Class
    3. Reserve Card
    4. Corporate Travel Designator
    5. Time of upgrade request
  2. No RUC/GUC
    1. Medallion Level
    2. Fare Class
    3. Reserve Card
*the reason that I believe that RUCs and GUCs are equal for domestic flights boils down to the idea that they would have to create another tiebreaker tier above the RUC, and it would only come into play in a very few specific edge cases.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 2:47 am

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
I don't think that the rules are published anywhere that we would have access to them, but experience and anecdotal reports (and logic) suggest that the tiebreaker rules would be the same, just at a tier above the comp upgrade process.

My theory is that a DM on a Y/B/M with a Reserve and a "corporate travel designator" using an RUC would rank above a DM with the same fare, card, etc. But.... I ALSO believe that an FO on an L/U/T/V fare who is using an RUC that they earned last year before dropping status would also be ahead of a DM on Y/B/M, Reserve card, etc.

1. Medallion Level
    2. Fare Class
    3. Reserve Card
  2. No RUC/GUC
    1. Medallion Level
    2. Fare Class
    3. Reserve Card
*the reason that I believe that RUCs and GUCs are equal for domestic flights boils down to the idea that they would have to create another tiebreaker tier above the RUC, and it would only come into play in a very few specific edge cases.
Your theory is directly contradicted by Delta.com.
  • If a seat becomes available in the cabin you are waitlisted for, upgrades will clear automatically based on Medallion Status. If multiple Members on the waitlist have the same Medallion Tier, upgrades will clear using the date and time each request was added to the waitlist.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by dlflyer00

Your theory is directly contradicted by Delta.com.
  • If a seat becomes available in the cabin you are waitlisted for, upgrades will clear automatically based on Medallion Status. If multiple Members on the waitlist have the same Medallion Tier, upgrades will clear using the date and time each request was added to the waitlist.
How is that a contradiction? Qwkynuf posted that RUCs and GUCs are equal priority for domestic travel. That has nothing to do with Medallion status, which is the first determining factor (in the Certificate upgrade bucket).
Old Apr 19, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf

1. Medallion Level
    2. Fare Class
    3. Reserve Card
  2. No RUC/GUC
    1. Medallion Level
    2. Fare Class
    3. Reserve Card
You're forgetting MQD waiver. This goes before time of upgrade request (I *assume* the MQD waiver is at $25K, but perhaps it is in fact $250K for Diamonds since it would always be a second-order tiebreaker anyways).
Old Apr 19, 2019, 9:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MikeNYC1
How is that a contradiction? Qwkynuf posted that RUCs and GUCs are equal priority for domestic travel. That has nothing to do with Medallion status, which is the first determining factor (in the Certificate upgrade bucket).
It's a contradiction because it doesn't mention fare class, Reserve card, etc. as mattering at all.
dlflyer00 likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by ethernal
You're forgetting MQD waiver. This goes before time of upgrade request (I *assume* the MQD waiver is at $25K, but perhaps it is in fact $250K for Diamonds since it would always be a second-order tiebreaker anyways).
Crap. Busted. I knew I was missing one, but I was too lazy to go look it up!
Old Apr 19, 2019, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's a contradiction because it doesn't mention fare class, Reserve card, etc. as mattering at all.
I agree. That makes it appear that on the xUC side, there are only 2 tiebreakers.

I do still believe that a Silver Medallion with an RUC would beat out a DM without one.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 9:00 am

Instrument upgrades jump right to the top. They are always higher priority then normal medallion upgrades. so Yes a Silver or just a skymiles member with RUC will be higher then a Diamond no matter the fare class.
Now when there are more then 1 instrument upgrades requested for a flight, then they 'more or less' follow normal medallion tie breaker rules
And there are hidden tie breaker rules such as corp codes - dictated by contracts that Delta signs to lure big spending companies.

Last edited by jeet; Apr 20, 2019 at 9:01 am Reason: typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.