Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: DL DM Charter/2.5MM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Avis PP, National Exec-E
Originally Posted by Zorak
do you think people who WFBF or get legitimately upgraded never behave this way?
Yes, there are those that behave badly and it frustrates me too.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by SYRRDU
Yes, there are those that behave badly and it frustrates me too.
I drink on airplanes and occasionally in row 1 put my feet (with shoes) on the bulkhead to stretch my legs on longer flights.

I am very well behaved though.
SYRRDU likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 4:54 pm

I think this is more a case of I don’t like the system but, I was on a very full flight yesterday both a long waiti list and a long upgrade list. I was booked into first so not an issue for me personally but at the end of boarding there was one empty seat in first. The gate agent came on and tried to upgrade a passenger. I heard him decline and say he would rather stay with his co worker. Gate agent exits the plane saying boy is she going to be happy. On comes a non rev and into the empty seat she goes. She is openly thanking the gate agent and they are clearly good friends. Her boarding pass was for row 28 and had nrsa stamped on it. I am guessing this is all within the rules, all upgrade request passengers were on the flight YBYL, even came on and tried to upgrade the first of many on the list went back and got a friend she was watching out for.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 6:18 pm

I wouldn't consider this worthy of Shena thread.. GA did everything reasonably possible to get an upgrade done.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 12:19 pm
HMO

Originally Posted by jeet
I wouldn't consider this worthy of Shena thread.. GA did everything reasonably possible to get an upgrade done.
I find hard to believe there was only one pax left on the upgrade list...
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by HMO
I find hard to believe there was only one pax left on the upgrade list...
GA tried to upgrade first person on the list and they declined so now you expect GA to go back an print a BP for the next one on the list? what if they decline too? a third one?
At what point do you expect GA to give up?

I am perfectly ok with GA making one attempt.
alanstar, Paplover, ats262 and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 12:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
GA tried to upgrade first person on the list and they declined so now you expect GA to go back an print a BP for the next one on the list? what if they decline too? a third one?

I am perfectly ok with GA making one attempt.
Why can't the GA board the aircraft with a copy of the upgrade list, or at least the first few names? If #1 declines, go to #2 , etc. I don't see why the boarding pass has to be printed in this case--it often isn't when a customer is ordered to change seats, and it's only when being downgraded that one needs some official proof.
Tizzette and strickerj like this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 8:04 am
HMO

In a perfect world? The full list.

In the real world? At least 3 or 4.
Let's imagine the #2 or #3 is around #1 , and they see GA giving up procedure and upgrade a friend, and the last one in the upgrade list.
I believe almost everybody here will be upset if was on their shoes.
MSPeconomist and strickerj like this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 8:32 am

There were 31 people on the upgrade list. Yes it was a flight out of ATL. I had a late running connection so reached the gate well after boarding started. I stood there to write a text before I boarded and heard two people near the top ask if first was full in both cases she said first checked in full. Neither passenger pushed to ask if all passengers had boarded. She came on with a print out and no boarding pass so not clear why she could not have gone to the next person on the list but also not sure she is required to. There were also 10 or so passengers on standby. No way to know why they were on standby. I do wonder if one missed a seat when a passenger wasn’t cleared from coach to first. The non rev who sat in first was the last person to board the plane so there must not have been any passengers on the waitlist for first hanging out and hoping. Like I said at the offset not sure this really qualifies. I have give up on upgrades and just buy first if I care.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Why can't the GA board the aircraft with a copy of the upgrade list, or at least the first few names? If #1 declines, go to #2 , etc. I don't see why the boarding pass has to be printed in this case--it often isn't when a customer is ordered to change seats, and it's only when being downgraded that one needs some official proof.
Originally Posted by HMO
In a perfect world? The full list.

In the real world? At least 3 or 4.
Let's imagine the #2 or #3 is around #1 , and they see GA giving up procedure and upgrade a friend, and the last one in the upgrade list.
I believe almost everybody here will be upset if was on their shoes.
If the policy were to be - 'Process the upgrade list till T-0 irrespective of boarding status' - then yes, GA must do this.
As policy is currently ambiguous and gives GA the discretion to apply their best judgement, this GA did good.

Heck they even put the non-rev friend in row 28 and tried to process an upgrade that in itself deserves a JWD

Originally Posted by tennessetom
There were 31 people on the upgrade list. Yes it was a flight out of ATL. I had a late running connection so reached the gate well after boarding started. I stood there to write a text before I boarded and heard two people near the top ask if first was full in both cases she said first checked in full. Neither passenger pushed to ask if all passengers had boarded. She came on with a print out and no boarding pass so not clear why she could not have gone to the next person on the list but also not sure she is required to. There were also 10 or so passengers on standby. No way to know why they were on standby. I do wonder if one missed a seat when a passenger wasn’t cleared from coach to first. The non rev who sat in first was the last person to board the plane so there must not have been any passengers on the waitlist for first hanging out and hoping. Like I said at the offset not sure this really qualifies. I have give up on upgrades and just buy first if I care.
Now this is worthy of shena thread - looks like intentionally keeping the F seat open to give it to a friend.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by tennessetom
[left]There were also 10 or so passengers on standby. No way to know why they were on standby. I do wonder if one missed a seat when a passenger wasn’t cleared from coach to first.
why would someone have missed a seat? Are you thinking the GA cleared a non-rev before a revenue standby pax?? There's no reason to assume that.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 9:45 am

absolutely zero reason to think this is shena.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
100% Shena. Last week, a flight sold out in F. 9 on the Upgrade list at the airport. Seat across the aisle from me (in F) empty after all pax boarded. FA in uniform boards and takes seat. I saw her NRSA boarding pass.

End of story - no question it was shena!
craig44485 likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by SuperG1955
100% Shena. Last week, a flight sold out in F. 9 on the Upgrade list at the airport. Seat across the aisle from me (in F) empty after all pax boarded. FA in uniform boards and takes seat. I saw her NRSA boarding pass.

End of story - no question it was shena!
that is not conclusively shena. If there was a legit no-show, and everyone on the upgrade list has boarded, this is easily within policy.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
The GA came on board and upgraded 1 person to C+

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.