Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2022, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Glad you reported it.

I would have waited to board if the board was showing two empty first class seats. Didn't anyone question the GA as to why they hadn't cleared the upgrade list yet?

Hopefully Delta writes up both the GA and the Pilot I would have also mentioned the pilots wife being allowed to board first.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 11:38 am

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
I think I was the beneficiary of some Shena last week, I'd love to know if there was something I'm missing. Here's the setup:

Flying SEA-SLC-STL as a PM. First leg I'm roughly 15th of 49 people for an UG from C+ to F in a 739, so it's clear that I'm not going to get it. No worries, of course, I board with C+ and head into my assigned seat (11F), get squeezed in there and get ready to be annoyingly pinned to the window for a couple of hours.

As boarding is ending, a GA comes in and goes to row 12 (behind me) and asks for me by name. I happen to hear her because I have a distinctive name, and speak up. She's confused that I'm in 12F and not 11F, we confirm I have a BP that says 11F, but then she just shrugs and says "you're in 2D now".

I'm super confused at this point and ask her if she's sure, and she confirms that I am who she says she's looking for, grab my bags, and head up to 2D.

I look in the app - and here I have a screenshot - I'm still listed as 13 of 47 for the upgrade, my BP has not updated to 2D and I'm not listed in the upgrade list at all. My neighbor in 2C also got upgraded by the same GA, and his seat shows as upgraded and assigned in the list. I wait for someone to come up and explain that there has been a mistake, but the door closes and we take off with me in 2D.

I felt guilty for likely stealing the upgrade from someone, but the GA disappeared very quickly (before I could gather my things and actually get to 2D), and the doors shut before I could gather my wits, check the app, and make sure I wasn't seeing things.

Does anyone know how this happened? Some sort of mistake on the manifest - why were they looking for me in the incorrect seat? How did I end up in this seat with nobody being marked as being upgraded into it?
Old Sep 26, 2022, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by manacit
I think I was the beneficiary of some Shena last week, I'd love to know if there was something I'm missing.
Unless you're friends with the GA or had slipped her a $20 before boarding, this isn't shena.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 2:02 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
DL1215 today MSP-SLC. F upgrade list was 43 people long and C+ list 13 long but agent left one F and one C+ seat open. Last minute no shows I assume. FAs decided to give the open F seat to a pilot who was jumpseating in the flight deck. Another pilot got the open C+ seat.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by DLASflyer
DL1215 today MSP-SLC. F upgrade list was 43 people long and C+ list 13 long but agent left one F and one C+ seat open. Last minute no shows I assume. FAs decided to give the open F seat to a pilot who was jumpseating in the flight deck. Another pilot got the open C+ seat.
Appears the flight was 33 min late leaving the gate. I wasn't there but often agents won't spend time to do things "right" when in that position.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 6:34 am

this is not shena
Old Mar 1, 2023, 10:40 am

Programs: DM-3MM, Marriott Platinum 4 Life, VFW-Life
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
this is not shena
why do you think this isn’t an example of Shena?
Old Mar 1, 2023, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by rcsgeorgia
Last minute no shows I assume.
not every case of a non-rev sitting in F is shena
hhdl likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by rcsgeorgia
The flight was late, abd everyone on list was onboard. Thus DL policy says agent doesn't need to upgrade. (Either reason is sufficiet)
Old Mar 1, 2023, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by flyerCO
The flight was late, abd everyone on list was onboard. Thus DL policy says agent doesn't need to upgrade. (Either reason is sufficiet)
Also, DL policy is that flight crew can upgrade nonrevs but not revenue pax.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 2:59 pm

Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Radisson Premium, Global Entry, CLEAR
Might be experiencing Shena right now, currently #4 on the FC list for DL2627 JAX-ATL tonight and there was just 4 open seats. Just refreshed the app to see only 3 open and a FC seat given to a standby, on the phone with Delta trying to figure out what's going on.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 3:29 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by coke cans and winglets
Might be experiencing Shena right now, currently #4 on the FC list for DL2627 JAX-ATL tonight and there was just 4 open seats. Just refreshed the app to see only 3 open and a FC seat given to a standby, on the phone with Delta trying to figure out what's going on.
Probably not shena. Someone who is confirmed but without a seat assigned will show up on the standby list.
MSPeconomist, hi55us, hhdl and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 3:31 pm

Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Radisson Premium, Global Entry, CLEAR
Probably not shena. Someone who is confirmed but without a seat assigned will show up on the standby list.
Yep you were right, agent said it was a confirmed First pax on standby, just wanted to be sure that I wasn’t getting robbed haha
Spiff likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 9:38 am

as a general rule shena doesn't usually occur in a way that will be obvious to anyone looking with the app. the people "doing shena" know what is visible on the lists and how to avoid it.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
as a general rule shena doesn't usually occur in a way that will be obvious to anyone looking with the app. the people "doing shena" know what is visible on the lists and how to avoid it.
spoken (written) like someone who knows ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.