Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2022, 10:08 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Interestingly, after getting 27A back, 27B went out empty. My original seat 19F also went out next to an empty 19E. Worked out for both of us in the end (decided once onboard that it didn't make sense to self-downgrade 19F with an empty middle to 27B and of course not allowed to occupy 2 Comfort+ seats in this situation.
Old May 18, 2022, 6:45 am

Programs: DL PM MM, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
She might have been SOL if she had gotten the seat due to elite status rather than paying for it. Did she stress to the redcoat that she had paid for the seat? DL's normal response is that seats aren't guaranteed and they would refund the fee if an "equivalent" seat isn't available.

I wonder whether someone at DL was trying to do a favor for a 360 or other VIP who couldn't get into FC or even an aisle/window in C+.

I suspect that the seat was (attempted to be) nabbed before NRSAs would have been cleared onto the flight, especially since she had time to go to a SkyClub. What was the timing of stuff? [Since she was moved to another window seat, I don't think someone decided that she would miss the connection.]

Good for the SO for standing her ground. I suspect that she's a keeper, if you don't mind my saying this.
My seat assignment in paid first class was changed for a Delta 360 and his family so they could sit together. We noticed a week before the flight they had changed us from 2C 2D to 4A 4B. We like the C/D side when flying DFW-SLC because of the incredible view of the Wasatch Mountains on descent. Not the end of the world and I know you're not guaranteed a seat assignment but it just felt kind of obnoxious a Delta360 could ask for and receive whatever seat they want, regardless of who is on board. (BTW I had a DL employee confirm there was indeed a 360 sitting in our seat with his wife and two kids behind them in 3C/3D.
Old May 18, 2022, 7:12 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by DLmedalliongold
it just felt kind of obnoxious a Delta360 could ask for and receive whatever seat they want, regardless of who is on board. (BTW I had a DL employee confirm there was indeed a 360 sitting in our seat with his wife and two kids behind them in 3C/3D.
The only thing MORE obnoxious than that would be if the kids were sitting somewhere else, kicking someone else's seat, and the parents were sitting in First, separate from them.
MSPpete likes this.
Old May 18, 2022, 11:59 am

Odd downgrades witnessed at boarding: Scenario # 1 - PM upgraded to FC in advance, still has upgraded seat at time of boarding, but upon boarding given a seat in MC, finds a person in formerly assigned FC seat. Issue raised with gate agent, red coat comes on board and (overheard) says (basically) your seat has been changed, tough luck. Given the lateness of the downgrade it seems unlikely this was a purchase of a paid first ticket. Scenario 2. Diamond medallion (based on actual travel, not carryover or card) and two PMs traveling on same flight today all with tickets purchased at same time (fare class unknown, separate itineraries). Both PM's upgraded to FC. DM had been previously upgraded at time of booking to C+ but at boarding was booted to last row, middle (could not make this up). Are these "celebrity" "D360" or "corp exec" last minute changes? Do gate agents now have full discretion? Note, none of these a CofC violations, the passengers still traveled in fare class originally booked, however unhappily with the Delta "system." If there is a "system."
strickerj likes this.
Old May 30, 2022, 10:08 pm

Programs: SkyPesos -> MVP Gold 100K
Was flying AMS-SEA on D1 about a week ago and was almost denied check-in by KLM staff because I’m a Canadian entering US and they “can’t find my visa type in their system” and that I’m not allowed to enter US if I don’t show appropriate documentation.

Except Canadians enter visa free as visitors, or we have a TN-based work visa that doesn’t really look like a a typical H1B visa; it’s just a CBP stamp with a admit date.

took 50 mins to resolve and thankfully a senior agent came over to let me through.
Old May 30, 2022, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by secretalcoholic
Was flying AMS-SEA on D1 about a week ago and was almost denied check-in by KLM staff because I’m a Canadian entering US and they “can’t find my visa type in their system” and that I’m not allowed to enter US if I don’t show appropriate documentation.

Except Canadians enter visa free as visitors, or we have a TN-based work visa that doesn’t really look like a a typical H1B visa; it’s just a CBP stamp with a admit date.

took 50 mins to resolve and thankfully a senior agent came over to let me through.
Sounds less like shenanigans and more like KLM staff being generally incompetent (which is a frequent occurrence).
Old May 30, 2022, 11:30 pm

To my understanding, try being a Delta employee and dealing with KLM staff at AMS
Old May 31, 2022, 5:13 am

This is more of an anti shenanigans if you will. I was flying on a sold out flight. There was a pilot trying to get on the flight. He was boarded first, I was upfront and heard him telling the cockpit crew he was going to wait to see if a seat opened up otherwise he would be on the jump seat with them. He went out and waited on the jetway. Plane is boarded one first class seat is open. when I boarded there were ten people on the waitlist. Ga comes on and tells the fa she is going to go upgrade someone and tells pilot I will see about your seat in a minute. Ga returns and says passenger didn’t want upgrade because no overhead space, it was an e175 and a fairly short flight. She says I don’t have time to keep trying to upgrade people we are already late. Then tells pilot waiting for a seat he can go to row like 20. He looks at her and the fc seat and she says sorry I can’t give you the seat, we have passengers on the upgrade list. He says I understand. I am not 100 percent sure he was a delta pilot.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 6:58 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
A Bernese Mountain Dog pup got the upgrade to F 😂

stc, jamesteroh, catmndu and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
A Bernese Mountain Dog pup got the upgrade to F 😂

He can be my infant in arms if he wants
stc likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 8:24 am

Delta 451 today, Diamonds on the 31 deep upgrade list bypassed for the pilot’s wife and another unknown special passenger. Officially the last 2 seats were left empty but they are very much occupied. I heard the pilot-gate agent conversation before boarding. Wife was on a paid ticket but still ridiculous.
Spiff likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 8:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Delta 451 today, Diamonds on the 31 deep upgrade list bypassed for the pilot’s wife and another unknown special passenger. Officially the last 2 seats were left empty but they are very much occupied. I heard the pilot-gate agent conversation before boarding. Wife was on a paid ticket but still ridiculous.
If you see something, say something. Shena is harder when the culprits are exposed publicly and the GA is warned they will be reported
Spiff, jamesteroh and rylan like this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
If you see something, say something. Shena is harder when the culprits are exposed publicly and the GA is warned they will be reported
I’m not the type of person to complain on the spot. What’s done is done. I will complain in writing, perhaps with a picture of pilot’s wife in supposedly empty F seat. The pilot also had his wife pre-boaded before even wheelchairs, which is not a big deal but indicative of the entitled behavior. If she wanted F and doesn’t have the status she should buy F.
Spiff, jamesteroh and strickerj like this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 8:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Please report stuff like this to DL.

However, if the app was showing two "available" FC seats, it's too bad that some DM near the top of the upgrade list didn't wait to board until the GA processed the upgrades. That could have been fun to wath.
Spiff and jamesteroh like this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 10:02 am

My complaint:

”I am writing to express disappointment that the gate agent and pilot on this flight arranged for the pilot’s wife to get a First Class upgrade she was not entitled to rather than upgrading me or other Medallion passengers at the top of the upgrade list. I overheard the conversation between the gate agent and pilot, and he wanted his wife to get special treatment. Why even have an upgrade list when you don’t follow it? The flight went out with two F seats “empty” but they were not actually empty. The agent picked two people who were not at the top of the list to unofficially upgrade. One of them was the pilot’s wife as pictured wearing a white vest in 4A.

It is disappointing that Diamond Medallion passengers who spend tens of thousands on Delta flights each year routinely don’t get upgraded as Delta employees upgrade their friends and family. It has happened to me so many times over the years and it is unacceptable.”
jamesteroh likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.