Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2019, 8:43 am

"However, why didn't you say something to the GAs if you wanted a C+ seat?"

Especially...if the only remaining C+ seats were middles.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IMO if DL wants to pretend that C+ is an upgrade, then DL needs to process the C+ "upgrade" list properly, each and every time.

However, why didn't you say something to the GAs if you wanted a C+ seat?

Please complain to DL.
tbh I was just happy to be getting home with a seat at all. but I guess this is why this continues to happen - if people don't complain then it turns into acceptable behavior
strickerj and aquamarinesteph like this.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 1:38 pm

Programs: DL Million Miler
This Shena was the right thing to do

I was flying MSN-MSP-CMH last week; due to leave at 4pm, instead stood by at 6am MSN-MSP; that was no problem, but the 9ish MSP-CMH was really full; waited nervously at the gate for the final pax to board, and I was #1 on the standby list, with one seat left. There were maybe half a dozen on the standby list, and as one of the last pax boards, she says goodbye to an old guy with baseball cap and 5-o'clock shadow, and says she hopes he makes it to Columbus. This was kind of touching. We're waiting around as the seconds tick away, and he comes up to me and asks me what do to if he can't board this flight. I tell him there's a 12:50pm flight we can also stand by for, and he looks a bit forlorn (that flight was also really full).

Almost time for the door to close, and the gate agent calls him up to the podium, and gives him a boarding pass for the last seat. He was #4 on the standby list, and off he goes, and off I go to the Sky Club, to pound on my laptop for the next 3+ hours (did make standby for the 12:50pm, though it was nip and tuck - - Mr. #4 might not have made that one either).

Although I really wanted to get on that 9ish flight and have those extra four hours in Columbus, the gate agent did the right thing. I was free to eat chilaquiles and oatmeal at the lounge, and he got to fly with his clan, likely for the Wisconsin-OSU game. Although part of me was miffed, part of me was really happy for him, and although I felt an underlying resentment toward the GA for ignoring the standby list, I praise her for doing so.

She did the right thing.
sspontak and zpaul like this.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SpinzCity
I was flying MSN-MSP-CMH last week; due to leave at 4pm, instead stood by at 6am MSN-MSP; that was no problem, but the 9ish MSP-CMH was really full; waited nervously at the gate for the final pax to board, and I was #1 on the standby list, with one seat left. There were maybe half a dozen on the standby list, and as one of the last pax boards, she says goodbye to an old guy with baseball cap and 5-o'clock shadow, and says she hopes he makes it to Columbus. This was kind of touching. We're waiting around as the seconds tick away, and he comes up to me and asks me what do to if he can't board this flight. I tell him there's a 12:50pm flight we can also stand by for, and he looks a bit forlorn (that flight was also really full).

Almost time for the door to close, and the gate agent calls him up to the podium, and gives him a boarding pass for the last seat. He was #4 on the standby list, and off he goes, and off I go to the Sky Club, to pound on my laptop for the next 3+ hours (did make standby for the 12:50pm, though it was nip and tuck - - Mr. #4 might not have made that one either).

Although I really wanted to get on that 9ish flight and have those extra four hours in Columbus, the gate agent did the right thing. I was free to eat chilaquiles and oatmeal at the lounge, and he got to fly with his clan, likely for the Wisconsin-OSU game. Although part of me was miffed, part of me was really happy for him, and although I felt an underlying resentment toward the GA for ignoring the standby list, I praise her for doing so.

She did the right thing.
How do you know she ignored it? Standby list includes both
  • Those not confirmed on the flight and standing by to get a seat and
  • Those confirmed on the flight but with no seat assigned andcstandying by for a seat assignment

The latter will clear 1st even though may appear farther down the list.
hhdl likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 6:30 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by flyerCO
How do you know she ignored it? Standby list includes both
  • Those not confirmed on the flight and standing by to get a seat and
  • Those confirmed on the flight but with no seat assigned andcstandying by for a seat assignment

The latter will clear 1st even though may appear farther down the list.
The latter probably don't stand around waiting nervously until boarding is almost complete and only then get handed a BP by the gate agent though.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Zorak
The latter probably don't stand around waiting nervously until boarding is almost complete and only then get handed a BP by the gate agent though.
If not a FF they do. I've seen numerous infrequent flyers getting nervous. They dont grasp that they will be given a seat. I helped reassure one that had bought a last minute ticket they would get on. (They had family on deathbed) You and me get that we'll get on if confirmed, most don't.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 5:43 am

Part of the story seems to be missing.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 11:37 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
If not a FF they do. I've seen numerous infrequent flyers getting nervous. They dont grasp that they will be given a seat. I helped reassure one that had bought a last minute ticket they would get on. (They had family on deathbed) You and me get that we'll get on if confirmed, most don't.
Except if the flight is oversold. If the flight is oversold and they can't get enough volunteers, IME possession of a seat is 99% a guarantee that you will fly. If you didn't have a seat and the flight was oversold, it probably is time to be at least a little nervous. But then Delta seems better at always getting enough volunteers than say United (or even American).
Old Nov 3, 2019, 3:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
DL publishes priorities for IDBs. DOT requires this and also requires carriers to follow their own rules.
flyerCO likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by stc
Except if the flight is oversold. If the flight is oversold and they can't get enough volunteers, IME possession of a seat is 99% a guarantee that you will fly. If you didn't have a seat and the flight was oversold, it probably is time to be at least a little nervous. But then Delta seems better at always getting enough volunteers than say United (or even American).
As MSP ststes another wording, possession is not 9/10ths the law in this case. IDB requires a set procedure be followed.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
As MSP ststes another wording, possession is not 9/10ths the law in this case. IDB requires a set procedure be followed.
I believe Delta's rules cause a passenger without a seat to be bumped before a passenger with one (though that's not the highest priority rule).

On the other hand, Delta hasn't had an IDB in a while.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 8:19 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sethb
I believe Delta's rules cause a passenger without a seat to be bumped before a passenger with one (though that's not the highest priority rule).

Yep. Delta has not had an IDB in 5 or 6 months at this point.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 8:22 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by sethb

Wow, just looked up the stats. In 2018, Delta paid $820 for 1 IDB in 2018 (they had 2 other IDBs who failed to check in properly and weren't eligible for compensation). AA paid over $1.2 million to almost 3,000 passengers in the same year.
aquamarinesteph likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by stc
Yep. Delta has not had an IDB in 5 or 6 months at this point.
Money (gift cards...) talks
DiverDave likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 8:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It helps enormously that DL GAs and redcoats are empowered to increase VDB offers to get volunteers.
aquamarinesteph likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.