Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2019, 7:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by WidgetKid
Most likely paying F pax who didn't have a seat assignment.
Also, SDS passengers aren't eligible to go onto the upgrade list until after they've been confirmed onto the flight, if at all.

It's unfortunate that DL only displays a single standby list. It includes confirmed passengers without seat assignments (who aren't standby at all), genuine SDS people, and NRSAs. People should be listed in this order, but you can't tell the true standby list status of a given passenger.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 10:56 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
How many passengers pay for first and then don’t select a seat?
Heck when I fail to elect a seat on ticket purchase DL assigns me one.
Old May 10, 2019, 11:08 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by apodo77
It seems strange to me too but apparently it happens more than we would think?

I also know from direct personal experience that if you SDC into the last available seat and it's blocked for gate assignment for whatever reason, the lists make it look like you cleared off of standby.
Old May 11, 2019, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by apodo77
I did once, when I used a certificate to upgrade and didn't particularly like any of the available seats (and I wanted to see what would happen).
Old May 11, 2019, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Also, SDS passengers aren't eligible to go onto the upgrade list until after they've been confirmed onto the flight, if at all.
But SDS from paid (including certificate) F get confirmed into F prior to upgrades.
Old May 12, 2019, 4:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sethb
But SDS from paid (including certificate) F get confirmed into F prior to upgrades.
HUH? Most GAs process FC upgrades before they clear any standbys onto the flight. Usually they put standbys into the seats that have been vacated by the upgrades. [In fact IIRC there was a discussion here in the DL forum maybe about a year ago where at least one person who seemed to be an insider claimed that standbys are never technically confirmed on the flight and hence are ineligible for upgrades--although of course NRSAs clear directly into the best open seat.]

OTOH, if someone is on the standby list because they don't have a seat assignment even though they are confirmed on the flight, such a person would look like it was a standby clearing directly into FC but this is not at all what happened.
Widgets likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 6:29 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by sethb
Speaking from personal experience if I cannot confirm the change in advance, I never clear into F as a SDSC/SDSB as UPGRs are prioritized ahead of everyone even those booked in F desiring to go earlier/later.
Widgets likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually, it shouldn't matter. If there's an available seat in F, SDSC is allowed. (Though if there's a no-show, there are all sorts of interactions with who has boarded already. I believe the paid F pax has priority over upgrades.)
Old May 12, 2019, 1:21 pm

[LEFT][LEFT]HUH? Most GAs process FC upgrades before they clear any standbys onto the flight./LEFT]
well, usually there won't be anyone in paid F on standby, and if there is, there usually won't be any open F seats. That doesn't mean that when there IS someone in confirmed F on standby that they won't be cleared before upgrades are processed.
Old May 12, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA

It's unfortunate that DL only displays a single standby list. It includes confirmed passengers without seat assignments (who aren't standby at all), genuine SDS people, and NRSAs. People should be listed in this order, but you can't tell the true standby list status of a given passenger.
One of my biggest pet peeves with DL....
Old Jun 6, 2019, 8:14 am

Programs: DL DM Charter/2.5MM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Avis PP, National Exec-E
Saw it for the first time a few weeks ago traveling BOS-RDU, called out the GA and Red Coat on the issue and they both seemed uninterested. When I landed in RDU, met with Red Coat, explained the issue and confirmed the Shena.

Long story.... sorry. Was #1 (of 3) BOS-RDU. Plane was 20 min late arriving and the GA had not cleared any upgrades, FC or C+. When the GA began boarding, I went to board with FC/DIAMOND and said that I had not been cleared, but was #1 . The GA said that his process is not to clear UGs until after boarding... yes that is what he said. I also saw two people standing at the desk, that seemed concerned about my inquiry. I said that I have a C+ seat and that somebody on that UG list would like it when I am cleared. The GA told me to board now or wait until the end and if there was an UG, I might get it. Very frustrated I looked for a Redcoat, but found another GA to help the BOS-RDU GA. She began processing and I did get the UG and the first GA told her to go away. I boarded in FC (3D) and then watched the whole thing. The two people that were waiting at the desk were put into 1C and 1D, the GA move a older, handicapped FC passenger to 2B (he needed help to stand up and to be moved). A Redcoat then came on board to UG the #2 (now #1 ) on the list to my seat and when she realized it was occupied (showed her my app), she sent him back to his seat, saying she didn't realize the UGs had been cleared. I called the Redcoat over as she leaving and said that there was some funny stuff going on with that GA and that the UG's should have been cleared long before boarding as the plane was late arriving. I then said that I thought the GA had no idea of the process and how he lost control of the situation, she said that she would handle it. In the air, the two in 1C and 1D had their feet on the bulkhead and drank the entire flight.

On arrival to RDU I sought out a Red coat and she reviewed that flight and confirmed my suspicions. I was the only one that got an UG. The two that were moved to 1C and 1D were not medallions, were not on the UG list, had Basic Economy tix and did not pay for the UG. No medallions got UG'd to C+, she suspected that he cleared standbys to those seats. Made a report to DL and today I noticed a 10K Customer Service Bonus. I called DL and they said that it was a follow up to my report.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 8:47 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by SYRRDU
In the air, the two in 1C and 1D had their feet on the bulkhead and drank the entire flight.
do you think people who WFBF or get legitimately upgraded never behave this way?

^ kudos though for following through on this so that the GA's actions get recorded/noticed
jamesteroh likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Saw it for the first time a few weeks ago traveling BOS-RDU, called out the GA and Red Coat on the issue and they both seemed uninterested. When I landed in RDU, met with Red Coat, explained the issue and confirmed the Shena.

Long story.... sorry. Was #1 (of 3) BOS-RDU. Plane was 20 min late arriving and the GA had not cleared any upgrades, FC or C+. When the GA began boarding, I went to board with FC/DIAMOND and said that I had not been cleared, but was #1 . The GA said that his process is not to clear UGs until after boarding... yes that is what he said. I also saw two people standing at the desk, that seemed concerned about my inquiry. I said that I have a C+ seat and that somebody on that UG list would like it when I am cleared. The GA told me to board now or wait until the end and if there was an UG, I might get it. Very frustrated I looked for a Redcoat, but found another GA to help the BOS-RDU GA. She began processing and I did get the UG and the first GA told her to go away. I boarded in FC (3D) and then watched the whole thing. The two people that were waiting at the desk were put into 1C and 1D, the GA move a older, handicapped FC passenger to 2B (he needed help to stand up and to be moved). A Redcoat then came on board to UG the #2 (now #1 ) on the list to my seat and when she realized it was occupied (showed her my app), she sent him back to his seat, saying she didn't realize the UGs had been cleared. I called the Redcoat over as she leaving and said that there was some funny stuff going on with that GA and that the UG's should have been cleared long before boarding as the plane was late arriving. I then said that I thought the GA had no idea of the process and how he lost control of the situation, she said that she would handle it. In the air, the two in 1C and 1D had their feet on the bulkhead and drank the entire flight.

On arrival to RDU I sought out a Red coat and she reviewed that flight and confirmed my suspicions. I was the only one that got an UG. The two that were moved to 1C and 1D were not medallions, were not on the UG list, had Basic Economy tix and did not pay for the UG. No medallions got UG'd to C+, she suspected that he cleared standbys to those seats. Made a report to DL and today I noticed a 10K Customer Service Bonus. I called DL and they said that it was a follow up to my report.
Good job on reporting it and hopefully DL takes action against the GA. I don't understand why a Gate Agent would put their job in jeopardy just to help a friend/relative have a first class seat on a short flight. I would have given the redcoat a JWD in that situation.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 2:16 pm

Very frustrated I looked for a Redcoat, but found another GA to help the BOS-RDU GA. She began processing and I did get the UG and the first GA told her to go away.
wait, what???

you just ... found a GA? Like, this GA was just wandering around with nothing to do and you told them to go help at your gate and he/she did it???
Old Jun 6, 2019, 3:00 pm

Programs: DL DM Charter/2.5MM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Avis PP, National Exec-E
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
wait, what???

you just ... found a GA? Like, this GA was just wandering around with nothing to do and you told them to go help at your gate and he/she did it???
Yes, she had just completed a flight at the next gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.