Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:12 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
It's not just the upgrading of the employee, it's the obnoxious attitude shown to the DM who *dared* to ask.
Really? I was alwayz taught "Obey Thy Gate Agent", as they control your destiny <for the next few hours>, and they KNOW IT!!!

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

New rules: If there's not time to upgrade a revenue customer, there's no time to clear nonrev standbys onto the flight either.
HA!!! Good luck with that!

Originally Posted by lov2fly
I wonder how many GA's monitor this thread to see if they see themselves?
"Uh-Oh - I worked that flight and pulled some Shena I knew that guy would be a troublemaker - better call Atlanta and get ahead of this..."
Or, the reverse . . . .

I wonder how many people read the forum, and think - - WOW! That was ME on that flight! I was next on the UG list, and a nonrev snagged that seat from under me!
CHOPCHOP767 likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
I'm a bit in the dark WRT to DL policies on this, but how does an FA upgrade a nonrev? Are these nonrevs traveling in uniform; presumably on DL business? Or are they just nonrevs traveling on the company pass? Seems difficult to identify who is who without a uniform (yes, I know there are apps on the handheld). Presumably, if they can see nonrevs, the FAs can also see rev pax. That and it seems to me like DL would benefit from only one person, i.e. the GA controlling seat assignments as opposed to two, i.e. the GA and the FA.
The GA has absolute control until the door closes. After the door closes, the GA has no control.

The crew knows who the nonrevs are (per manifest) but they don't know the relative upgrade priorities of the paying passengers (multiple DMs, multiple PMs, and a GM who tried to use a RUC that he got last year as a PM).
Old Jun 11, 2018, 11:56 pm

Programs: A few
Maybe, maybe not ... why get worked up?

I was number 1 for 3 FC available at about T-90, MSP-ATL this AM, then dropped to 1 of 2 at T-30, then to 1 for 1 at t-25, then 1 for 0 at T20.

I was seated very close to the gate and I had many opportunities to approach the counter and ask if all 1st had checked in/ should I stay behind / or ponder #board-last .... but I didn't.

I boarded, and as 4D remained unoccupied until the very last pax boarded; (and since I was seated in the first row of C+), I had a good vantage point and overheard the pax mention something along the lines of "hey, I'm just lucky to get the seat" or something like that.

So what did I do about this possible SHENA situation?

Well, I'll tell you what I did....

Nothing.

The flight was under 2hrs, so I honestly couldn't care less, but after reading some of the posts in this thread, I wondered what others would think / do....

Last edited by Loadmaster; Jun 12, 2018 at 12:07 am
Old Jun 12, 2018, 4:06 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta-pm, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-PP
Originally Posted by Loadmaster
I was number 1 for 3 FC available at about T-90, MSP-ATL this AM, then dropped to 1 of 2 at T-30, then to 1 for 1 at t-25, then 1 for 0 at T20.

I was seated very close to the gate and I had many opportunities to approach the counter and ask if all 1st had checked in/ should I stay behind / or ponder #board-last .... but I didn't.

I boarded, and as 4D remained unoccupied until the very last pax boarded; (and since I was seated in the first row of C+), I had a good vantage point and overheard the pax mention something along the lines of "hey, I'm just lucky to get the seat" or something like that.

So what did I do about this possible SHENA situation?

Well, I'll tell you what I did....

Nothing.

The flight was under 2hrs, so I honestly couldn't care less, but after reading some of the posts in this thread, I wondered what others would think / do....
This was more YBYL then Shena.
Loadmaster likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 4:31 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hertz Pres. Club. SPG Gold
Originally Posted by sethb
The GA has absolute control until the door closes. After the door closes, the GA has no control.

The crew knows who the nonrevs are (per manifest) but they don't know the relative upgrade priorities of the paying passengers (multiple DMs, multiple PMs, and a GM who tried to use a RUC that he got last year as a PM).
But just as there are different upgrade priorities for paying passengers there’s also different priorities for non revs. So if there’s multiple non revs how does a FA know which one to pull up?
Old Jun 12, 2018, 4:36 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM+, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Dl1984 aus-atl this morning. I am 2 for 0 seats as a diamond.

The guy guy originally seated in 14F was Number 5 on the list and a silver medallion (saw his boarding pass) and got upgraded to 1C.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by Worldtraveler727
Dl1984 aus-atl this morning. I am 2 for 0 seats as a diamond.

The guy guy originally seated in 14F was Number 5 on the list and a silver medallion (saw his boarding pass) and got upgraded to 1C.
Shena? Or FCM offer and acceptance?
TheHorta likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 7:33 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM+, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
Shena? Or FCM offer and acceptance?
we were already seated on the plane and somebody else came for the same
seat. Original guy in 14f got upgraded from c+. And it wasn’t opup. C+ wasn’t full.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by FSUnole03
But just as there are different upgrade priorities for paying passengers there’s also different priorities for non revs. So if there’s multiple non revs how does a FA know which one to pull up?
Are you sure they can't see the priority for nonrevs on the internal web site? I believe it indicates the priority and the priority date; I don't know how much, if any, of that gets onto the manifest.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 4:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sethb
Are you sure they can't see the priority for nonrevs on the internal web site? I believe it indicates the priority and the priority date; I don't know how much, if any, of that gets onto the manifest.
I know that when the purser needs to ask a nonrev to move because a revenue passenger has a D1 seat that won't go flat or where the AVOD isn't working, cabin crew are able to determine which of the nonrevs in D1 has the lowest seniority and should be asked to move.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 8:41 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hertz Pres. Club. SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I know that when the purser needs to ask a nonrev to move because a revenue passenger has a D1 seat that won't go flat or where the AVOD isn't working, cabin crew are able to determine which of the nonrevs in D1 has the lowest seniority and should be asked to move.
And that's what's amazing to me. If DL can provide nonrev info to Purser's/FA's on their priority, then there's no reason they can't provide upgrade priority data to them so they can pull up the next passenger on the list.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 12:13 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by FSUnole03
If DL can provide nonrev info to Purser's/FA's on their priority, then there's no reason they can't provide upgrade priority data to them so they can pull up the next passenger on the list.

And, of course, this has been mentioned here before!
Old Jun 13, 2018, 12:36 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Widgets

I think most passengers would have a problem with the airline if they were the rightful occupants of a First Class seat and learned that another passenger was told he can take it unless they protest. I don’t think people should have to tell someone to get out of their seat when the airline has 100% assigned seating.
I'm not sure you really understood what I was saying . It's not about waiting for a "protest;" it's about going ahead and issuing an appropriate upgrade in the case of a likely no-show . Advise the pax there's still a chance the original seatholder might show up, but if not, the seat is his/hers. I say this because in the example above, DL's system showed FC as full, but visual inspection showed otherwise, suggesting an unexpected no-show.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This being the shena thread, they might have an expected no-show and a friend nonreving.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 7:41 pm

Programs: Hhonors Gold, DL PM
Granted there’s weather in ATL right now, but my flight 494 to DFW just left the gate with 6 open in F and a longish upgrade list. Needless to say we also left the gate early.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.