Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated Delta Promotions Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2011, 4:51 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Does anyone happen to know whether the points for the Membership Rewards transfer have to be from an AMEX account in the same name as the DL SkyMiles account, or can the transfer come from someone else and still qualify? The T&C from the Membership Rewards Promo registration page are silent on this matter.

https://dmn.delta.com/ace_offers/junemr/terms.shtml

ENJOY RICHER REWARDS
YOU’RE REGISTERED AND ON YOUR WAY TO A
50% MILEAGE BONUS AND MEDALLION STATUS.

If you transfer 100,000 points or more, you can also receive 25,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs). That’s enough to give you Medallion status and benefits like waived baggage fees, unlimited upgrades, Preferred Seating, and more.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by USirritated
Does anyone happen to know whether the points for the Membership Rewards transfer have to be from an AMEX account in the same name as the DL SkyMiles account, or can the transfer come from someone else and still qualify? The T&C from the Membership Rewards Promo registration page are silent on this matter.

ENJOY RICHER REWARDS

If you transfer 100,000 points or more, you can also receive 25,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs). That’s enough to give you Medallion status and benefits like waived baggage fees, unlimited upgrades, Preferred Seating, and more.
In past rounds (I haven't used this one), you could link any DL account to your Amex MR account, transfer, and IFF the Delta account was qualified (i.e., hadn't had a transfer before, was targeted and successfully registered for the promo, etc.), then it would work. I suspect it would be the same this time. In other words, the eligibility was being run on Delta's side, not Amex's side. One Amex MR account with a million points could successfully load up many different Delta accounts, even if it had transferred to many other Delta accounts in the past. However, one Delta account that had received a past transfer from anyone would *not* be able to work with the promo, even if 50 different people transferred points to it. Hopefully that made sense.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 6:43 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by mooper
In past rounds (I haven't used this one), you could link any DL account to your Amex MR account, transfer, and IFF the Delta account was qualified (i.e., hadn't had a transfer before, was targeted and successfully registered for the promo, etc.), then it would work. I suspect it would be the same this time. In other words, the eligibility was being run on Delta's side, not Amex's side. One Amex MR account with a million points could successfully load up many different Delta accounts, even if it had transferred to many other Delta accounts in the past. However, one Delta account that had received a past transfer from anyone would *not* be able to work with the promo, even if 50 different people transferred points to it. Hopefully that made sense.
Yes, to me it made perfect sense, thank you! You are a great source for information mooper! ^
Old Jun 24, 2011, 6:13 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
Excellent, and correct, analysis by Mooper.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 4:04 pm

Programs: SPG/HGP/IHG/MR/HH/DL/UA/
July B-day promo

http://dmn.delta.com/ace_offers/bdayjuly/

July B-day promo is out.
The one posted earlier in this thread is targeted offer.

You shouldn't have problem w/ this link. (w/ US add.)
Also it comes with 2,500 mile bonus, not 1,500 mile.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 10:23 am

I wonder why they have been changing the amount of miles so often (down and up) for the birthday bonus/offers? Does anyone have any idea why?
Old Jun 25, 2011, 11:40 am

ENJOY RICHER REWARDS

I called up today asking the same question. Wanted to transfer to my wifes skymiles account out of my amex account. Her name is even on my amex account. Rep told me that she wouldnt get the bonus. The points would transfer from amex side but delta wouldnt honor the 50%. Thats what one rep said anyways. Is he wrong?
In the end I moved them to my own account, just to be safe. Anyone know how long bonus points take to show?
Am I correct in assuming that I was 100% eligible for this promotion? I signed up and went to my account and it was immediately showing in my account as an eligible promotion. So that means i'm all good?
Old Jun 25, 2011, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by thebestman36
I called up today asking the same question. Wanted to transfer to my wifes skymiles account out of my amex account. Her name is even on my amex account. Rep told me that she wouldnt get the bonus. The points would transfer from amex side but delta wouldnt honor the 50%. Thats what one rep said anyways. Is he wrong?
In the end I moved them to my own account, just to be safe. Anyone know how long bonus points take to show?
Am I correct in assuming that I was 100% eligible for this promotion? I signed up and went to my account and it was immediately showing in my account as an eligible promotion. So that means i'm all good?
Wow, that was fast. Points already showed in 5 minutes, including the bonus. Didnt expect the bonus points to show immediate.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 11:59 am

I have no idea if you were eligible nor which company you called, but in the past, if your *Delta* account was qualified, then it didn't matter from which Amex account the points came; if you were qualified and registered and it was your first receipt of Amex MR points ever, it would post, and it would post relatively instantly. I can't verify that nothing has changed, but I'd be surprised if it has. If things don't work out for you or your wife, it's most likely because the Delta account in question isn't qualified for one reason or another - not because of the Amex MR account from which the points came.

I wonder why they have been changing the amount of miles so often (down and up) for the birthday bonus/offers? Does anyone have any idea why?
It could be random, it could be that someone hates particular months, or it could be something as simple as they raise the amount when loads are looking relatively light at the time of release, and vice versa. Let's just hope that people don't contact Delta to complain that they weren't offered as much as other months, or didn't qualify at all. Let Delta target and adjust for their own reasons, and if not pleased, seek other airlines' birthday bonus offers.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 3:24 pm

Wow, that was fast. Points already showed in 5 minutes, including the bonus. Didnt expect the bonus points to show immediate.
I guess and hope that means that the agent who told you that the non-matching accounts would not qualify, but then you got the bonus miles anyway after arranging the transfer (not with the same agent, right?), would mean that he/she actually misspoke!

....snip....

It could be random, it could be that someone hates particular months, or it could be something as simple as they raise the amount when loads are looking relatively light at the time of release, and vice versa. Let's just hope that people don't contact Delta to complain that they weren't offered as much as other months, or didn't qualify at all. Let Delta target and adjust for their own reasons, and if not pleased, seek other airlines' birthday bonus offers.
I actually figured (before I posed the question in this thread) that it was most likely your third guess, meaning that loads for the upcoming month seemed to be lower. However, I didn't figure that most people would take an extra flight just because they would end up with $1-2.50 more worth of points than they would have without the promo.

Last edited by USirritated; Jun 25, 2011 at 3:26 pm Reason: clarification of last paragraph
Old Jun 25, 2011, 4:56 pm

I didn't figure that most people would take an extra flight just because they would end up with $1-2.50 more worth of points than they would have without the promo.
I think of it this way:

With 0 bonus miles, the amount of award seats utilized is unchanged, as the bonus is a non-event.

With 25,000+ bonus miles, an award trip would be free when booked at the low/saver level, and this would cause a massive run on inventory where every seat available would be taken in days, if not hours.

In between 0 and 25,000 bonus miles, there is a gradual curve (I don't know the slope - I just know there is one) from o% increased awards to all inventory being used. I doubt that there is a magic number where all of a sudden the slope becomes steep, while bonus amounts surrounding it are plateaued.

Therefore, as you move from, say 1,000 miles to 3,000 miles, there's bound to be *some* impact on the number of redemptions. Even from 1,500 to 2,500,the effect probably isn't great, but isn't negligible either.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 8:07 pm

I think of it this way:

With 0 bonus miles, the amount of award seats utilized is unchanged, as the bonus is a non-event.

With 25,000+ bonus miles, an award trip would be free when booked at the low/saver level, and this would cause a massive run on inventory where every seat available would be taken in days, if not hours.

In between 0 and 25,000 bonus miles, there is a gradual curve (I don't know the slope - I just know there is one) from o% increased awards to all inventory being used. I doubt that there is a magic number where all of a sudden the slope becomes steep, while bonus amounts surrounding it are plateaued.

Therefore, as you move from, say 1,000 miles to 3,000 miles, there's bound to be *some* impact on the number of redemptions. Even from 1,500 to 2,500,the effect probably isn't great, but isn't negligible either.
When you put it that way, I guess that makes sense. However, for those people who only value bonus miles at ONE PENNY per mile, then 2,500 miles is worth $25.00 (not $2.50, my decimal place mistake from earlier), so they might consider that to be a $25.00 discount on their $250.00 ticket, or 10% off. The only problem with that scenario is that 25,000 mile redemptions are a bit difficult to snag sometimes. But, it is a valid premise.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 10:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, FB PM, Gamer/Trickster.
So are there any AMEX offers that give you 100k points up front?
Old Jun 25, 2011, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by flargley
So are there any AMEX offers that give you 100k points up front?
I've never seen any offers on any credit cards that give more than 50K points up front, so I would kind of doubt it, but of course, as always, YMMV.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 5:40 am

Programs: AA CK
I've never seen any offers on any credit cards that give more than 50K points up front, so I would kind of doubt it, but of course, as always, YMMV.
Amex platinum is currently running a targeted offer, giving 100k pts for spending $3k in the first three months. I've seen people reported on applying without being targeted, then called in to get qualified for the bonus.

Chase sapphire preferred is also running the similar promo for 100k pts with a certain amount of spend..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.