Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless payment cards (2022 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2022, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
Older (archived) threads:
2017- 21
2014-16

- - - - - -

FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of near-field communication (NFC)/contactless that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature. (EMV stands for Europay, MasterCard & Visa, the 1994 founders of the EMV chip or smart chip technology.)

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.
  2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode

Print Wikipost

USA contactless payment cards (2022 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2022, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Oh, speaking of passes, I forgot to mention that TriMet in Portland is still using mobile wallet centric marketing on their trains and buses. While tapping a physical contactless card did work as expected, I wonder if the fare inspectors are trained enough to recognize it as a valid payment method. (I never ran into any to find out.)
Old Jun 8, 2022, 11:41 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by tmiw
I wonder if the fare inspectors are trained enough to recognize it as a valid payment method.
It shouldn't be an issue since you'd wave the card in front of a reader like a Hop Fastpass, but I haven't encountered any fare inspectors since they started accepting contactless payments either.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 12:02 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Meanwhile, NYC is doing what NYC does best, and is writing fare evasion tickets to those who paid by OMNY (contactless) instead of their fare card (Metrocard)

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskNYC/comm...paid_via_omni/
Old Jun 10, 2022, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PrendellHiggins
Looked into it more and found a PDF version that has the date February 2022 on the bottom...
https://about.usps.com/signs/sign145.pdf
Yeah, my local post office still doesn't support it as of today, even at the manned counters. Same Ingenico terminals and software they've always had (minus Quick Chip, of course).
PrendellHiggins likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

So contactless works at Shell's gas pumps now.

(the "tap card" verbage is new)

EMV contactless with no ZIP code prompt as well.
scibot likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 11:20 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
The Shell that has NFC readers with Gilbarco point of sale in my area put special metal brackets over the readers so you can't even attempt to use them. Too many people were trying to use them and that "Contactless Not Supported" error thing that sent the pump through a reset cycle. I can't believe they actually got customized metal brackets to cover the readers.

This Shell is run by an outfit called Tooley Oil out of Sacramento.

Shell and Chevron do not use any zip code prompt for EMV in the US at all. Exxon Mobil also eliminated the zip code prompt with EMV except in "high fraud" markets (Southern California is one of those markets they kept it)... Only second tier brands like 76/Conoco/Valero/Sinclair/7-Eleven/Arco continue with the zip code prompt with EMV. They should all discontinue use of the zip code prompt immediately. Questionable if having it is even compliant given international card acceptance cannot happen with the zip code prompt.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Update: unfortunately, another Shell with Wayne pumps and readers is still insert only as of this morning. Perhaps it's still rolling out (or it's Gilbarco only for now).
Old Jun 19, 2022, 11:25 pm

Update: unfortunately, another Shell with Wayne pumps and readers is still insert only as of this morning. Perhaps it's still rolling out (or it's Gilbarco only for now).
Went to some Shell locations the past few days.
1. Gilbarco Pumps/Gilbarco POS. Pumps have NFC reader. They put duct tape over the NFC readers. However they are still on so I held my card to the duct tape. Got the message that it is not supported then transaction declined.
2. Wayne Pumps/Verifone POS: pumps have NFC reader and it is on. Nothing marked showing it does not work. Got the message that it is not supported and to insert card in next try.

Also went to a Quik Stop. Inside the store their MX915s were both supposedly having a broken chip reader and they could only accept cash or tap to pay. Watched a customer throw a bottle of soda on the counter and storm out; I suspect his card was NFC enabled too.

Also I sure like those new card readers at Walgreens. They are new Equinox models. It is so disorienting and uncomfortable to have to insert the chip card, by the time you fumble around the NFC function will pick up a tap even if you did not intend to tap. It is time to move beyond the chip and go 100% tap. We are getting closer and closer.

Also supposedly Rite Aid is getting new pinpads but I don't know which ones. Rite Aid has always used Verifone though so would expect more of that junk.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'm not sure if I've just been lucking out recently but I had a pretty good stretch of restaurants using Toast pay at the table devices (locally and when I was in Oregon). Unfortunately, every single one inserted cards for customers and only allowed customers to interact with the device for signature/tip entry. This is despite at least several of them being the model that has the contactless logo, so I'm wondering if it's even enabled yet.

Originally Posted by storewanderer
Went to some Shell locations the past few days.
1. Gilbarco Pumps/Gilbarco POS. Pumps have NFC reader. They put duct tape over the NFC readers. However they are still on so I held my card to the duct tape. Got the message that it is not supported then transaction declined.
2. Wayne Pumps/Verifone POS: pumps have NFC reader and it is on. Nothing marked showing it does not work. Got the message that it is not supported and to insert card in next try.

Also went to a Quik Stop. Inside the store their MX915s were both supposedly having a broken chip reader and they could only accept cash or tap to pay. Watched a customer throw a bottle of soda on the counter and storm out; I suspect his card was NFC enabled too.
I haven't been to any more Shells recently but I did find another 7-Eleven gas station with EMV enabled the other day. Unfortunately it doesn't look like much has changed: still no contactless readers, ZIP code prompts (even with PIN preferring credit cards), etc. Though at least they kept PIN enabled outside and didn't full on disable it like a lot of other gas stations (or even retailers in general) have.

Also I sure like those new card readers at Walgreens. They are new Equinox models. It is so disorienting and uncomfortable to have to insert the chip card, by the time you fumble around the NFC function will pick up a tap even if you did not intend to tap. It is time to move beyond the chip and go 100% tap. We are getting closer and closer.
They're using the same model as Sur la Table and Chipotle, right? I don't think it's too bad for insert but definitely different than the "standard" insert at the bottom that most others use.

Also supposedly Rite Aid is getting new pinpads but I don't know which ones. Rite Aid has always used Verifone though so would expect more of that junk.
FWIW, my local Dunkin' finally got new Verifone readers and they seemed okay for me. I know others have complained about at least Dunkin's implementation before, though, so who knows how Rite-Aid's will turn out. (My local one is permanently closing so I probably won't be able to try it any time soon.)

Meanwhile, speaking of terminal replacements, I still have no updates on the Wendy's locations here. I'm really starting to think that there's no specific mandate to switch over for franchisees (which, unfortunately, isn't unheard of--the Arby's locations here still don't have EMV as well, let alone contactless). I'm not sure how well that'll work out, though, as the iPP series go EOL.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 5:08 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
The Arby's locations here still don't have EMV as well, let alone contactless.
It's interesting considering the Arby's in the Bay Area - there is only one location left - was among the first to get EMV back in 2014. I've never tried contactless there, and the last few visits have been via the drive through.

Meanwhile, I've been using contactless exclusively here in Australia. (You practically have had to bring your own pen for the last 7 years for a chip-and-signature transaction.) Unfortunately Melbourne's transit doesn't yet support open loop payments, but I was able to set up a myki card via Google Pay and load with a US based card. Furthermore, even though NSW transit options support contactless, I am still using Opal cards with auto reload to my card. That way Mrs. Majuki and I can both recharge using the same card that has a travel category bonus.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Majuki
It's interesting considering the Arby's in the Bay Area - there is only one location left - was among the first to get EMV back in 2014. I've never tried contactless there, and the last few visits have been via the drive through.
Last time Arby's was discussed, it sounded like half of them were using a "standard" POS/terminal setup and the others were whatever the franchisees wanted to use. The irony is that one of the locations here was actually torn down to the studs and rebuilt in the last year or two, so you'd think they'd have changed out their POS at the same time.

Though speaking of getting torn down to the studs, the one Burger King here that didn't support contactless (but at least had EMV) is finishing up its rebuild. When it opens, it'll be interesting to see if they switched anything out POS or terminal wise. Regardless, from what I can tell, they might have significantly reduced or possibly eliminated their indoor dining area in favor of drive thru/takeout (the building was split in half, with the other half going to a new Bruegger's Bagels).
Old Jun 25, 2022, 12:35 am

Last time Arby's was discussed, it sounded like half of them were using a "standard" POS/terminal setup and the others were whatever the franchisees wanted to use. The irony is that one of the locations here was actually torn down to the studs and rebuilt in the last year or two, so you'd think they'd have changed out their POS at the same time.

Though speaking of getting torn down to the studs, the one Burger King here that didn't support contactless (but at least had EMV) is finishing up its rebuild. When it opens, it'll be interesting to see if they switched anything out POS or terminal wise. Regardless, from what I can tell, they might have significantly reduced or possibly eliminated their indoor dining area in favor of drive thru/takeout (the building was split in half, with the other half going to a new Bruegger's Bagels).
Arby's was previously using the Radiant Aloha POS (newer used NCR hardware or HP hardware) and that was the "official" set up. 10-15 years ago, Arbys with these Radiants had those NFC readers (only NFC readers) out there customer facing at some locations. So I'm sure they could have easily added a pinpad and done EMV. And maybe some locations did, but I never saw it.

Many other major chains are still on the Radiant including Chickfila, Wendys, Raising Cane's, Popeyes, Burger King... along with all of the largest gas station chains like Circle K, EG Group, and Speedway (except 7-Eleven)...

More recently something changed and Arby's switched to whatever system we have seen Five Guys, Boston Market, MOD Pizza, and various other fast food chains start using. They are doing this system with MX915s. This system does not seem to be compliant with EMV rules as it does not print any transaction information on the receipt (no AID, etc.). This system uses Verifone Point software for the pinpad. I am not sure why they are still using MX915s. A unit that got installs last month got MX915s (pulled out their old Radiants which were still swiping). This system also does not seem to like Contactless MasterCards. Basically if an Arby's offers online ordering, it is on this new system.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Arby's was previously using the Radiant Aloha POS (newer used NCR hardware or HP hardware) and that was the "official" set up. 10-15 years ago, Arbys with these Radiants had those NFC readers (only NFC readers) out there customer facing at some locations. So I'm sure they could have easily added a pinpad and done EMV. And maybe some locations did, but I never saw it.

Many other major chains are still on the Radiant including Chickfila, Wendys, Raising Cane's, Popeyes, Burger King... along with all of the largest gas station chains like Circle K, EG Group, and Speedway (except 7-Eleven)...

More recently something changed and Arby's switched to whatever system we have seen Five Guys, Boston Market, MOD Pizza, and various other fast food chains start using. They are doing this system with MX915s. This system does not seem to be compliant with EMV rules as it does not print any transaction information on the receipt (no AID, etc.). This system uses Verifone Point software for the pinpad. I am not sure why they are still using MX915s. A unit that got installs last month got MX915s (pulled out their old Radiants which were still swiping). This system also does not seem to like Contactless MasterCards. Basically if an Arby's offers online ordering, it is on this new system.
Interesting, the one I typically go to (which recently did a massive remodel/rebuild) isn't even listed on the "Find an Arby's" page. Hopefully it didn't close for good; it seemed pretty busy the last two times I've gone.

Anyway, most of the others around here are listed as "online ordering coming soon", though, which matches with what I've seen with regard to EMV and contactless. I want to say my one experience with EMV and Arby's did go okay but that was quite a while ago (and I don't remember whether I used Visa, MC or something else).
Old Jun 26, 2022, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

One of the Coldstones around here apparently got one too many questions about tipping and/or PIN.

(Contactless worked fine, BTW.)

Anyway, does Coldstone even have any sort of standard setup? I've seen multiple different ones around here and sadly not all even had EMV let alone contactless.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 2:30 pm

One of the Coldstones around here apparently got one too many questions about tipping and/or PIN.

(Contactless worked fine, BTW.)

Anyway, does Coldstone even have any sort of standard setup? I've seen multiple different ones around here and sadly not all even had EMV let alone contactless.
Now the question is, if you do enter a PIN does this prevent you from adding the tip? Is this why they're suggesting PIN bypass?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.