Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless payment cards (2022 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2022, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
Older (archived) threads:
2017- 21
2014-16

- - - - - -

FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of near-field communication (NFC)/contactless that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature. (EMV stands for Europay, MasterCard & Visa, the 1994 founders of the EMV chip or smart chip technology.)

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.
  2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode

Print Wikipost

USA contactless payment cards (2022 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2022, 4:28 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by tmiw

I would have guessed it'd mainly be people who travel for work (and thus can expense onboard meals) or very infrequent flyers who aren't aware that the airlines haven't really had free meals onboard in domestic Y for at least a decade now. Though I guess (1) is a subset of frequent flyers, too.
I think by now almost everyone knows that airlines don't have free meals in domestic Y. But most people don't plan to buy anything on board, rather they plan to eat during a layover or at their destination. A policy like this will eliminate impulse purchases, and allow only those who plan ahead to purchase food. Honestly, that's probably a good thing for passengers, because it helps them avoid overpriced, unhealthy airline food, but I can't see how it makes sense from the airline's perspective.
Old May 29, 2022, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cbn42
I think by now almost everyone knows that airlines don't have free meals in domestic Y. But most people don't plan to buy anything on board, rather they plan to eat during a layover or at their destination. A policy like this will eliminate impulse purchases, and allow only those who plan ahead to purchase food. Honestly, that's probably a good thing for passengers, because it helps them avoid overpriced, unhealthy airline food, but I can't see how it makes sense from the airline's perspective.
On my last trip, my connection in SEA was short enough (and my inbound flight just delayed enough) that I didn't have time to buy anything. Instead of buying something in-flight (which I gladly would have done had DL provided buy-on-board options other than alcohol), I ended up going to the Waffle House immediately next to CVG after landing (which arguably is just as unhealthy if not more). However, I will admit that at least part of that was bad planning.

Anyway, I suspect higher-ups at UA were told about magstripe going away and rather than dealing with that, they went with this approach (with the PR benefit of still technically being "contactless"). Assuming it goes about as well as I think it will, they'll probably go back to running physical cards on board in a year or two, possibly keeping app ordering around as an option for people. Who knows, though, I could be wrong too and people'll actually end up preferring the app/card on file approach over handing over a physical card.
Old May 29, 2022, 11:08 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
During the weeks I avoid Wal Mart and Kroger, I am at 100% rate of Contactless purchase. It is great. Some of these hold outs until recently like Dollar General and Wendy's are places I do go to somewhat often. Also some of those previously swipe only fast food places like Arbys and Boston Market have finally got NFC acceptance as well over the past few months.

It makes me want to further avoid Wal Mart and Kroger also that they both continue to refuse NFC. Also not sure what the issue with Home Depot and Lowe's is but I don't go to either one of them very often. Also Ace Hardware seems to accept NFC at every location I've been to lately.
Old May 30, 2022, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
London TfL contactless / CSR AU cards

Couldn't find an answer to this via search or the older TfL specific threads.

Will be in London next month with Mrs. Lee. Will make the most sense to use CSR contactless to pay for transportation there. (I've done this my last few trips pre-COVID but was traveling alone.)

However Chase issues cards with he same card # and CSV code for authorized users. Even though we have two separate physical cards, will this cause confusion if we both try to use our CSR cards for contactless entry/exit on the tube? Any difference if one/both of us use our cards as loaded to Google Pay?

Alternative will just be one of us using a different card but would prefer get the extra few UR if possible.
Old May 31, 2022, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by storewanderer
During the weeks I avoid Wal Mart and Kroger, I am at 100% rate of Contactless purchase. It is great. Some of these hold outs until recently like Dollar General and Wendy's are places I do go to somewhat often. Also some of those previously swipe only fast food places like Arbys and Boston Market have finally got NFC acceptance as well over the past few months.

It makes me want to further avoid Wal Mart and Kroger also that they both continue to refuse NFC. Also not sure what the issue with Home Depot and Lowe's is but I don't go to either one of them very often. Also Ace Hardware seems to accept NFC at every location I've been to lately.
Speaking of new places, this could very well have been a thing for a while but I was apparently able to use contactless at the Cheesecake Factory take-out counter tonight. I seem to remember them being the traditional "take your card away" type restaurant (even after they got EMV), so I always assumed they didn't do anything other than insert. Interestingly I got a receipt that had an additional line for tip (despite already selecting such on the Lane/8000 PIN pad) and no signature (also despite there being a "leave a signed copy for the server" line on the bottom):

Anyway, I wonder if one would be able to pay for their check by going to the take-out counter instead of giving a card to the server. If so, contactless is an option for every possible transaction there. Still not ideal, mind you, but it's not unheard of (one other example being California Pizza Kitchen).
Old Jun 2, 2022, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I FINALLY got to use contactless at a hotel front desk today. Of course it happens to be a small mom and pop hotel and not one of the big chains. Still, props to them. (They use some sort of Stripe device that looks like a mobile phone and is permanently customer facing.)

Meanwhile, misunderstanding about contactless still seems to happen occasionally. For instance, the US News store at SAN had self checkouts (which worked fine with contactless when I tried it) but when another customer was asking the employee at the manned register, the employee told her they "didn't support Apple". The manned register's reader was also placed behind the counter.

(On the other hand, in my limited experience in Oregon thus far, people seem to have no problems with contactless or even encourage it. The restaurant I went to tonight took my card, of course, and a gelato shop's Square reader didn't like my CSR and I had to insert. Those two are probably the only exceptions thus far.)
Majuki likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by Majuki
That's like the setup at Steak 'n Shake. I haven't been inside one in nearly 8 years, so I don't know how their payments systems work now.
One now orders and pays via kiosk only, and then proceeds to the pick-up area.
Majuki likes this.

Last edited by Points Scrounger; Jun 4, 2022 at 8:08 am
Old Jun 3, 2022, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
One now orders and pays via kiosk only, and then proceeding to the pick-up area.
I wasn't aware of this change, but the last Steak 'n Shake I visited was in August 2014. This article gives some details.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 9:53 am

Programs: Skymiles

I’m in Square’s beta program, and look what I got!
I had to take the pic with my wife’s phone since you can’t screenshot this screen!
SPN Lifer and tmiw like this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 11:01 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by tmiw
I FINALLY got to use contactless at a hotel front desk today. Of course it happens to be a small mom and pop hotel and not one of the big chains. Still, props to them. (They use some sort of Stripe device that looks like a mobile phone and is permanently customer facing.)

Meanwhile, misunderstanding about contactless still seems to happen occasionally. For instance, the US News store at SAN had self checkouts (which worked fine with contactless when I tried it) but when another customer was asking the employee at the manned register, the employee told her they "didn't support Apple". The manned register's reader was also placed behind the counter.

(On the other hand, in my limited experience in Oregon thus far, people seem to have no problems with contactless or even encourage it. The restaurant I went to tonight took my card, of course, and a gelato shop's Square reader didn't like my CSR and I had to insert. Those two are probably the only exceptions thus far.)
I've used contactless at multiple IHG and Hilton front desks without issue. I also think Hyatt is enabled but I have yet to see one with the card reader accessible to the customer (have not been to a Hyatt since before COVID either). At Miyoko Hotel in Los Angeles they have newer Lane readers behind the counter and it comes up with insert/swipe/tap but I was told they must insert the card to "verify the card was actually present" and cannot use Contactless.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by storewanderer
I've used contactless at multiple IHG and Hilton front desks without issue. I also think Hyatt is enabled but I have yet to see one with the card reader accessible to the customer (have not been to a Hyatt since before COVID either). At Miyoko Hotel in Los Angeles they have newer Lane readers behind the counter and it comes up with insert/swipe/tap but I was told they must insert the card to "verify the card was actually present" and cannot use Contactless.
At a Hampton Inn I tapped for the pre auth and it worked just fine and after I left the hotel charged me the whole amount. No difference between if you inserted or tapped there. I did that to change the card I wanted the charges on. Not sure if it's the same at Miyoko Hotel but its probably the same.

Last edited by scibot; Jun 5, 2022 at 8:13 am
Old Jun 5, 2022, 4:36 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by scibot
At a Hampton Inn I tapped for the pre auth and it worked just fine and after I left the hotel charged me the whole amount. No difference between if you inserted or tapped there. I did that to change the card I wanted the charges on. Not sure if it's the same at Miyoko Hotel but its probably the same.
I had a similar experience at a small boutique hotel, they even had customer facing readers. I tapped and they yelled at me and had me redo the transaction with it inserted. Sigh.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The Aloft hotel near PDX apparently still uses iSC250s with the default Elavon software at the front desk. No tap, of course, much like pretty much every Marriott so far. (IIRC Daiso is the same way, so I kinda wonder if it's something on Elavon's side in those cases.)
Old Jun 6, 2022, 6:37 pm

Found Apple's Tap to Pay site and apparently this also offers the ability to read contactless Wallet passes. Pretty sure nothing like this exists for Google Wallet passes, unfortunately. Hopefully no big retailers integrate with this or the discrepancy between retailers supporting Apple Wallet vs Google Wallet will only get wider...

Tap to Pay on iPhone allows the reading of NFC passes in a customer’s Wallet as part of a merchant’s loyalty program. Your app can:
  • Read passes independently of payment, at the same time as payment, or instead of payment if the pass is available.
  • Prompt a customer to join a merchant’s loyalty program after a successful transaction with a push notification.
https://developer.apple.com/tap-to-pay/
Old Jun 8, 2022, 10:53 am

A new Taco Bell Defy location opened, and at its pickup kiosks there appears to be an NFC reader next to the QR scanner. Perhaps for contactless mobile wallet passes... Can anyone from Minnesota confirm?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.