Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless payment cards (2022 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2022, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
Older (archived) threads:
2017- 21
2014-16

- - - - - -

FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of near-field communication (NFC)/contactless that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature. (EMV stands for Europay, MasterCard & Visa, the 1994 founders of the EMV chip or smart chip technology.)

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.
  2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode

Print Wikipost

USA contactless payment cards (2022 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2022, 12:49 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Mrs. Majuki and I are in Las Vegas, and we used the Just Walk Out store at Resorts World for the first time. The entrance didn't accept a mobile payment to enter, but I had no problem using contactless on the physical card.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 10:19 am

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by Majuki
Mrs. Majuki and I are in Las Vegas, and we used the Just Walk Out store at Resorts World for the first time. The entrance didn't accept a mobile payment to enter, but I had no problem using contactless on the physical card.
I was there and noticed the same thing. Ugh Amazon.
Majuki likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
The next question is, was that intentional on Amazon's part or is it some sort of software issue they haven't gotten around to fixing? In theory they're not supposed to discriminate between cards and devices but it's possible the networks loosened that rule since we last looked.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
The next question is, was that intentional on Amazon's part or is it some sort of software issue they haven't gotten around to fixing? In theory they're not supposed to discriminate between cards and devices but it's possible the networks loosened that rule since we last looked.
It's hard to say. I forget the exact text, but it said something like, "Sorry. Mobile payments are not yet supported. You can pay with contactless if your card supports the feature."
Old Jul 30, 2022, 2:49 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

It's hard to say. I forget the exact text, but it said something like, "Sorry. Mobile payments are not yet supported. You can pay with contactless if your card supports the feature."
My guess is that the mobile payments will work just fine. Perhaps the employee who made the sign didn't realize it. Or perhaps Amazon wants to discourage mobile payments because they don't want their competitors (Apple and Google) to get a cut of the sales.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by cbn42
My guess is that the mobile payments will work just fine. Perhaps the employee who made the sign didn't realize it. Or perhaps Amazon wants to discourage mobile payments because they don't want their competitors (Apple and Google) to get a cut of the sales.
I should have been clearer.... I did try using my phone, and that sign on the display popped up.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Speaking of which, I looked in both of the latest Visa and MC rules and I'm not actually sure the card networks prohibit merchants from only accepting contactless cards. At least, I didn't see anything specifically saying so. Maybe it would fall under "honor all cards" but that rule seems to be more a prohibition on, say, not accepting Visa Infinite/Signature while still accepting lower-cost Visa cards. In any case, I can think of a couple of places that would block mobile wallets while still allowing physical cards to be tapped (Walmart for example).

As for technical issues, maybe Amazon is thinking that someone's DAN could change on them while they shop? Though I would think they could just do a pre-auth prior to entry to avoid that. It might not even need to be that large of a pre-auth amount, either, since apparently we still allow tip adjust at restaurants (not to mention the many gas stations that seem to do a $1 authorization only to update to the final amount pumped later).
Old Jul 30, 2022, 9:45 pm

Programs: Skymiles
It popped up on the Ingenico terminal when I tapped my Apple Pay.

When Amazon pop up stores were a thing, they had Clover stations, and they even went was far as taping off the Apple Pay logo and said the manager said no Apple Pay, only Amazon Pay.

In other words, Amazon is even worse than Tesla at this whole anti apple thing.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
It popped up on the Ingenico terminal when I tapped my Apple Pay.

When Amazon pop up stores were a thing, they had Clover stations, and they even went was far as taping off the Apple Pay logo and said the manager said no Apple Pay, only Amazon Pay.

In other words, Amazon is even worse than Tesla at this whole anti apple thing.
The wording of the error and the fact that contactless was enabled at all points more to some sort of technical issue than Amazon being anti-Apple Pay. Otherwise, I'd have expected contactless being disabled and them simply supporting either their own system or inserting a card.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 3:34 am

The wording of the error and the fact that contactless was enabled at all points more to some sort of technical issue than Amazon being anti-Apple Pay. Otherwise, I'd have expected contactless being disabled and them simply supporting either their own system or inserting a card.
My guess is as you stated that the DAN could theoretically update while one is shopping. The store does put a $1 preauth on the card when you enter, so I think this is a solvable problem.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 9:09 am

Or perhaps Amazon wants to discourage mobile payments because they don't want their competitors (Apple and Google) to get a cut of the sales.
Google Pay/Apple Pay do not charge additional fees for merchants. I believe Apple charges issuing banks fees, but Google Pay is free for everyone involved. It's probably why PayPal/Venmo integrates their cards with Google Wallet but not Apple Wallet.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PrendellHiggins
Google Pay/Apple Pay do not charge additional fees for merchants. I believe Apple charges issuing banks fees, but Google Pay is free for everyone involved. It's probably why PayPal/Venmo integrates their cards with Google Wallet but not Apple Wallet.
It's not unheard of for merchants to be charged more for contactless transactions than inserted ones, though I don't know how often that happens in the US. Plus, that sort of thing is more likely to cause contactless to be disabled altogether, not only disabled for certain form factors.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Looks like we're finally getting non-card/phone forms of contactless in the form of rings. You have to have a checking account at a small bank I've never heard of, though (Quontic Bank). I'm also not sure how well it'll work in practice considering how often employees have refused to enable terminals without seeing a physical card, but we'll see.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 3:13 pm

I'm also not sure how well it'll work in practice considering how often employees have refused to enable terminals without seeing a physical card, but we'll see.
This is a cool concept, but it does require a willing cashier if contactless doesn't automatically enable. Fortunately this hasn't been as much of a problem since early 2020 with more customer facing terminals.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 1:14 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Speaking of no contactless, Wendy's here still doesn't have it as of today (and still runs suspiciously well kept iPP320s, too, so I'm guessing it'll be a while).
Wendy's is screwed up, and the franchisees are having to foot the bill for this new equipment.

For whatever reason they won't update the iPP320s to accept Contactless, they say the locations have to get new pinpads to accept Contactless.

Some franchisees have taken this as an order to get new registers. So in my area there are two franchisees: one replaced all of the registers but still has the iPP320s. So no Contactless there. The other didn't replace any registers but replaced all of the pinpads and the new pinpads accept Contactless.

The iPP320s are probably well kept since Wendy's has barely been open inside for the past 2 years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.