Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless payment cards (2022 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2022, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
Older (archived) threads:
2017- 21
2014-16

- - - - - -

FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of near-field communication (NFC)/contactless that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature. (EMV stands for Europay, MasterCard & Visa, the 1994 founders of the EMV chip or smart chip technology.)

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.
  2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode

Print Wikipost

USA contactless payment cards (2022 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2022, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
I did an EMV chip transaction last week at a post office and it says “PIN: Not Required”.
Yeah, they've been doing that since they got EMV. I would have expected the same (or maybe a more general "CVM: Not Required") for contactless, especially since they possibly disabled PIN entirely for credit.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 6:44 pm

Programs: Skymiles
https://www.iata.org/contentassets/1...-june-2016.pdf

IATA released their Common Use Self Service kiosk and agent position specifications, now Contactless and EMV are required! Just having the reader isn't enough, the document also states that contactless HAS TO BE ENABLED! About time! Both at Agent positions AND the self service kiosks!
PrendellHiggins likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
https://www.iata.org/contentassets/1...-june-2016.pdf

IATA released their Common Use Self Service kiosk and agent position specifications, now Contactless and EMV are required! Just having the reader isn't enough, the document also states that contactless HAS TO BE ENABLED! About time! Both at Agent positions AND the self service kiosks!
How common are "Common Use" stations in the US? I've always had the feeling they weren't as common here vs. elsewhere given that specific gates and even entire terminals tend to be owned/leased by individual airlines.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Big "no Apple Pay" sign that recently got posted at our local 99C Only store. I guess people finally started asking for it there and thus annoying the staff enough for them to post this:

(As far as I can tell, they're still using some sort of POS system based on SAP.)
Old Aug 18, 2022, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
How common are "Common Use" stations in the US? I've always had the feeling they weren't as common here vs. elsewhere given that specific gates and even entire terminals tend to be owned/leased by individual airlines.
All of those things at the airport pre security are all “Common Use”

As for the gates, it depends on the airport and even terminal.

Another document specifically mentions US transitioning away from mag stripe so now common use must have EMV.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 7:21 am

Another Verifone Point retailer having issue with contactless – this time it's Little Caesars
Old Aug 19, 2022, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by PrendellHiggins
Another Verifone Point retailer having issue with contactless – this time it's Little Caesars
Arby's with Point doesn't have contactless anymore either. Unless that is a temporary thing we will see.

Last edited by mia; Aug 19, 2022 at 9:50 pm Reason: Remove quoted image
Old Aug 19, 2022, 9:04 pm

I am not surprised. Dollar Tree switched out their MX915 for Ingenico. I think the MX915s are just terrible terminals to begin with, NFC frying on them isn’t new.

Last edited by mia; Aug 19, 2022 at 9:51 pm Reason: Remove quoted image
Old Aug 19, 2022, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
I am not surprised. Dollar Tree switched out their MX915 for Ingenico. I think the MX915s are just terrible terminals to begin with, NFC frying on them isn’t new.
My local Dollar Tree's still using the MX915s so maybe they didn't swap those yet?
Old Aug 22, 2022, 1:23 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Big "no Apple Pay" sign that recently got posted at our local 99C Only store. I guess people finally started asking for it there and thus annoying the staff enough for them to post this:

(As far as I can tell, they're still using some sort of POS system based on SAP.)
I love using Samsung Pay at the 99 Cents store. Sometimes it makes the cashier's head explode.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 1:27 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Went to Arbys. Held my card on the MX915 and cashier said "we don't take tap." The screen same up with only insert/swipe options. I asked what happened to the tap and she said they don't take tap. She was a new employee. I asked a different employee who said they didn't know but the tap function just stopped working and they didn't know why or if it would come back.

I am wondering if Verifone disabled tap on the MX915s using this Verifone Point thing, to push merchants to upgrade to newer pinpads?

Ought to upgrade to new non-Verifone pinpads.

Isn't McDonalds still doing tap on MX915s using Verifone Point just fine?

Or maybe it isn't a Verifone issue? Maybe it is the point of sale system? Arbys junk point of sale system (not sure what it is, it isn't Radiant anymore) is also used by other chains including some Carls Jr., all Five Guys, and all Boston Market. Also at least some Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf use this system. I wonder if tap is disabled at all of those now too... those chains switched to this new system partially due to the new system's ability to run EMV/Tap, quite recently...

My local Dollar Tree's still using the MX915s so maybe they didn't swap those yet?
One Dollar Tree in my area still uses whatever came before the MX915 (terminal isn't even supported anymore) so it never had tap. Maybe I should go check them out, would assume they were due for replacement first...

Originally Posted by cbn42
I love using Samsung Pay at the 99 Cents store. Sometimes it makes the cashier's head explode.
99 Cents Only is a place where I've had multiple cashiers make a negative comment about their employer and its card terminals when they let me know they don't accept tap.

To be fair though, their system does process the Chip quite quickly. And failure to "remove card" does not hold up the transaction like it does on many systems. Not sure why they don't switch on the NFC. It is a GK (I think those are the letters) retail system; many retailers use such systems.

Last edited by EmailKid; Aug 22, 2022 at 7:16 am Reason: Back to back to back posts on same topic
Old Aug 24, 2022, 12:24 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Contactless still works at Five Guys with Visa at least. No issue. Also a paper signature slip seems to print out if you spend above $25 as I saw another customer given a paper slip to sign. The cashier didn't bother to collect it when I walked up and I did see all the EMV information on the slip (none of that shows on the customer receipt) so they do appear to be on EMV Contactless.

Same register software and same Verifone MX915 with Point that Arbys has... since this junk POS system doesn't print the mandatory EMV information on the customer receipt I am not sure if Arbys was using EMV Contactless or not.

Maybe Arbys intentionally disabled it for some reason...?
Old Aug 24, 2022, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by storewanderer
Went to Arbys. Held my card on the MX915 and cashier said "we don't take tap." The screen same up with only insert/swipe options. I asked what happened to the tap and she said they don't take tap. She was a new employee. I asked a different employee who said they didn't know but the tap function just stopped working and they didn't know why or if it would come back.

I am wondering if Verifone disabled tap on the MX915s using this Verifone Point thing, to push merchants to upgrade to newer pinpads?

Ought to upgrade to new non-Verifone pinpads.

Isn't McDonalds still doing tap on MX915s using Verifone Point just fine?

Or maybe it isn't a Verifone issue? Maybe it is the point of sale system? Arbys junk point of sale system (not sure what it is, it isn't Radiant anymore) is also used by other chains including some Carls Jr., all Five Guys, and all Boston Market. Also at least some Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf use this system. I wonder if tap is disabled at all of those now too... those chains switched to this new system partially due to the new system's ability to run EMV/Tap, quite recently...
Well Arby's never seemed to have EMV contactless I believe as there was no AID listed. Some Arby's use Lane/7000s but the receipt looks the same but the AID is listed I'd bet those locations still have ctls.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scibot
Well Arby's never seemed to have EMV contactless I believe as there was no AID listed. Some Arby's use Lane/7000s but the receipt looks the same but the AID is listed I'd bet those locations still have ctls.
Unfortunately, no AID on the receipt is not an indication that somewhere's using MSD. However, I think I might have a reliable way of telling regardless of what it says on the receipt:
  1. Attempt to pay with a locked phone (tested with Android, not sure if this works on iPhone).
  2. If the terminal says something like "see phone for instructions" and there's a prompt on the phone to unlock, it's likely using EMV contactless.
I'm not sure what it does if the terminal's still using MSD, though. Maybe just a generic error instead of "see phone"? (I imagine the phone would still have a prompt to unlock regardless of whether the terminal's EMV or MSD.) As one can imagine, though, it's a lot harder these days to find somewhere still using MSD contactless.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 10:20 am

I bet they are changing out the pinpads to another brand just like Arby's is doing right now. So it should be working again in a month or two.
Unfortunately, no AID on the receipt is not an indication that somewhere's using MSD. However, I think I might have a reliable way of telling regardless of what it says on the receipt:
  1. Attempt to pay with a locked phone (tested with Android, not sure if this works on iPhone).
  2. If the terminal says something like "see phone for instructions" and there's a prompt on the phone to unlock, it's likely using EMV contactless.
I'm not sure what it does if the terminal's still using MSD, though. Maybe just a generic error instead of "see phone"? (I imagine the phone would still have a prompt to unlock regardless of whether the terminal's EMV or MSD.) As one can imagine, though, it's a lot harder these days to find somewhere still using MSD contactless.
The receipt looks the same as before but now the AID is listed on the receipt.

Originally Posted by storewanderer
Maybe Arbys intentionally disabled it for some reason...?
Here is why it was disabled they are actually upgrading to Lane/7000s with everything enabled and yes the AID is printed on the receipt now.

Last edited by scibot; Aug 26, 2022 at 11:47 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.