Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless payment cards (2022 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2022, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
Older (archived) threads:
2017- 21
2014-16

- - - - - -

FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of near-field communication (NFC)/contactless that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature. (EMV stands for Europay, MasterCard & Visa, the 1994 founders of the EMV chip or smart chip technology.)

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.
  2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode

Print Wikipost

USA contactless payment cards (2022 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2022, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
We went to Applebee's today and I noticed that the button that you needed to press on Presto to enable contactless wasn't there anymore. I initially thought they disabled contactless but I tried tapping my phone anyway and it went through. In short, they finally started following Visa rules that require enabling all supported interfaces at the same time. (The authorized amount per Chase push notification was the amount without tip, which makes sense as the tip prompt only appears after tapping.)

Anyway, it might be worth trying to tap at Red Lobster next time in case it's the same. Though it's also possible they don't show the Apple Pay, etc. logos when it's actually disabled, unlike at Applebee's.
PrendellHiggins likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 12:28 pm

So my Floridian DMV accepts contactless now, so that's nice. They didn't the last time I was there

BTW, does anyone else know of any retailers that have issues with re-activating contactless when an error occurs?

Two come to mind. If you get your pin wrong or if you tap your phone when it's not ready to pay at either Publix or Best Buy, the transaction will error out and the NFC reader will refuse to come back on. Was wondering if there were more so I can go on LinkedIn and complain to their VPs of Payments about it.

Last edited by PrendellHiggins; Jul 11, 2022 at 2:28 pm
Old Jul 12, 2022, 4:36 pm

More people are reporting USPS enabling contactless 👀

Majuki likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 1:34 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by PrendellHiggins
More people are reporting USPS enabling contactless 👀
https://twitter.com/MissThrilla/stat...47749626744839
Lowe's is reportedly updating its POS software. New touchscreen registers for the cashiers. Not sure if any impact on self checkout. Anyone know if the new registers have NFC?
Old Jul 15, 2022, 1:25 pm

Thumbs up

Another big holdout gives in: "Starting later this year, USAA will send a contactless card any time a card is renewed or replaced."
Old Jul 15, 2022, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
The other day at Total Wine, a customer was having trouble inserting her card. The clerk gently guided her hand and tapped it. The customer was totally amazed she could do that. I explained she could do that at most stores.
Majuki, scibot and PrendellHiggins like this.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 12:14 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
The technician doing the smog check on my car today tapped my card without prompting!
Old Jul 16, 2022, 12:29 am

Went to Bonefish Grill and noticed they had portable payment terminals like the ones I saw in Europe, so I asked if the waitress if she could bring it over when paying.

So she brings it over, then asks for my card so she could insert it herself (bruh)

I ask if I can do it myself, and try tapping, but of course it's disabled. You also could not tip on the machine, she had to go back to the main register and get the receipt for me to do so...

I'm going crazy here. How do these restaurants not understand how much more efficient it would be for customers to process their own payment? 😩

IDC if the boomers find it confusing at first, they'll get over it, just like they got used to self checkouts.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Miller's Ale House

Cashier tapped my card, insisting I sign the receipt without a signature line.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Cashier tapped my card, insisting I sign the receipt without a signature line.
When they make me do that I just write out "no signature required" in cursive XD
Points Scrounger and Majuki like this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Later, it struck me that it's some attempt on their part to protect against outright chargeback, or tip-line disputes? The cashier tried to pass it off that no signature line with tapping was a "glitch" 🙄
Old Jul 18, 2022, 6:56 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Later, it struck me that it's some attempt on their part to protect against outright chargeback, or tip-line disputes? The cashier tried to pass it off that no signature line with tapping was a "glitch" 🙄
I had an actual real glitch with this, It said Signature not required, and right below, it had a signature line. I used Apple Pay, but of course they still make me sign. I am indifferent, I just sign and I am on my way, I rather not argue, since the important part is already taken care of, allowing taps.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I kinda wonder if they should have just banned signature altogether instead of making it "no longer required", as the latter means merchants can easily justify still asking for one (whether because they feel they'd get less in tips otherwise or because they distrust the chargeback process). On the other hand, without PIN or CDCVM taking its place I could see ID checks easily coming back exactly due to said distrust, so maybe signing once in a while isn't a huge deal.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 8:18 am

Texas Roadhouse now has Ziosk Tether tablets at my local location. They support contactless by tapping right on the screen, instead of in a designated area below the screen like on the Ziosk Original tablets at Olive Garden and Red Robin.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Some of the pretzel/cookie carts at the San Diego Convention Center now use that one NCR device (the one I've seen a few other places around here and is supposedly at some Waffle House locations). Unfortunately it looks like it's only used for tip selection; the cashier has to swipe on their end. They even went as far as to tape off the contactless logo and swipe/insert readers since I guess people have been trying to use those.

On the other hand, there's an unmanned burrito cart there this weekend too. Tap your phone or card (I don't think you can insert or swipe, or at least I didn't see a reader that could do either) and it automatically charges you for whatever you remove from the heated/cooled bins. Thinking about it, I should get photos next time I see it tomorrow or Sunday so you guys can see what I mean.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.