Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless payment cards (2022 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2022, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
Older (archived) threads:
2017- 21
2014-16

- - - - - -

FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of near-field communication (NFC)/contactless that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature. (EMV stands for Europay, MasterCard & Visa, the 1994 founders of the EMV chip or smart chip technology.)

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.
  2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode

Print Wikipost

USA contactless payment cards (2022 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2022, 1:40 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by tmiw
Currently traveling today. So far:
  • The self-order kiosks at Peet's Coffee in SAN had labels on their iPP320s saying "NO TAP". The logo did appear, though, and I tried to tap. Unfortunately, they weren't kidding about that; after like 2-3 minutes of waiting the authorization timed out. Insert, on the other hand, authorized quickly.
  • Delta apparently has contactless on board now.

We'll see if there are any snack boxes for sale this flight so I can give it a shot. (My last one didn't have anything other than alcohol and the typical free snacks from the cart.)
All Delta operated flights had it for well over a year now. The gate agents even made the announcement you can use Apple Pay, Google pay, or Samsung pay. The FA does as well.

Note, this is not the case on any of the third party ran flights like SkyWest.
Old May 19, 2022, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RedLight2015
All Delta operated flights had it for well over a year now. The gate agents even made the announcement you can use Apple Pay, Google pay, or Samsung pay. The FA does as well.
Yeah, I kinda figured it was out for a bit (I typically fly AS and WN these days, so DL is uncommon for me). Probably shouldn't be advertising it as "new", though. So far I've only heard it announced in-flight, but it's possible that they announced it in SEA while I was trying to go from the A gates to my B gate.

Also, looks like it's a swing and a miss for trying it this flight too. Oh well, maybe on the way back. I did catch a glimpse of the reader and it looks like it's something on the lower back of their phone type devices.
Old May 19, 2022, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Looks like the Marriott I'm staying at (a Fairfield Inn and Suites) this trip is still using the Magtek readers at the front desk. I was under the impression that EMV (and contactless for the in-hotel Starbucks, etc.) was chain-wide, but maybe the Ingenico terminals are just mainline Marriott wide.

Also, the Waffle House closest to CVG is using a semi-recent NCR POS but no customer facing devices (swipe only on the cashier's side). I guess EMV there isn't nearly as common as I was thinking.
Old May 21, 2022, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Looks like the Marriott I'm staying at (a Fairfield Inn and Suites) this trip is still using the Magtek readers at the front desk. I was under the impression that EMV (and contactless for the in-hotel Starbucks, etc.) was chain-wide, but maybe the Ingenico terminals are just mainline Marriott wide..
Ingenico terminals at the front desk are chain wide as I understand it, but just had the same experience at a Courtyard in San Francisco. Ingenico Lanes at the front desk but this one was magswipe only (the Courtyard I stayed at prior in Detroit in April was contact chip/swipe but no contactless). At the same SFO CY their version of the bistro (different name) was also freedompay but a smaller ingenico terminal that was contactless and accepted chip.
Old May 25, 2022, 3:18 am

Just came back from a trip to the Netherlands and Ireland, and it was quite depressing how much contactless there is compared to USA. Didn't have a single issue paying with my American Visa Debit card anywhere via Google Pay. Taxis, transit card machines, restaurants, hotels, and all shops I went to all took NFC.

One con I will point out is that that both Amsterdam's OV Chip Card and Dublin's Leap are both severely lacking in online infrastructure. The Leap top up app didn't work for me and OV requires you to visit a machine to add money. Most American transit cards are much better in this regard.

Also seems these countries share an issue with America which is that there are zero NFC-enabled third party ATMs and very few first party ones.
scibot likes this.

Last edited by PrendellHiggins; May 25, 2022 at 3:29 am
Old May 25, 2022, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PrendellHiggins
Just came back from a trip to the Netherlands and Ireland, and it was quite depressing how much contactless there is compared to USA. Didn't have a single issue paying with my American Visa Debit card anywhere via Google Pay. Taxis, transit card machines, restaurants, hotels, and all shops I went to all took NFC.

One con I will point out is that that both Amsterdam's OV Chip Card and Dublin's Leap are both severely lacking in online infrastructure. The Leap top up app didn't work for me and OV requires you to visit a machine to add money. Most American transit cards are much better in this regard.

Also seems these countries share an issue with America which is that there are zero NFC-enabled third party ATMs and very few first party ones.
I recently came back from a trip to SW Ohio and honestly, besides the Marriott I previously mentioned, Kroger and restaurants, I was able to use contactless for basically everything. A fair number of places (especially at the convention I went to) did insert my card for me, though, but if I wanted to be That Guy™ I probably could have insisted they hand me their Square, etc. readers.

Also, speaking of which, someone next to me on one of my return flights did buy alcohol in flight. Unfortunately their card didn't have a chip (??) so the FA swiped it, meaning I couldn't see how well the contactless readers they use worked.
Majuki and PrendellHiggins like this.

Last edited by tmiw; May 25, 2022 at 11:12 am
Old May 26, 2022, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
I was able to use contactless for basically everything.
I agree that contactless payments are almost universally available in the US, and I imagine if I was doing mobile payments the percentage of my transactions that are contactless would be even higher. For instance, I was at a McDonald's drive through yesterday, and I saw the terminal with the handle ready to pass through the window. Since I was using the physical card, I just handed the card to the cashier, and the cashier inserted the card. It's the same thing at my local Starbucks. If the employee sees a customer paying with a physical card, the employee angles the terminal to insert the card even though contactless is enabled on the terminal.

As another metric, when my septuagenarian parents in the Midwest are using the contactless feature on their cards without prompting or instruction on my part, I'd say contactless payments have reached the mainstream.
scibot likes this.
Old May 26, 2022, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Majuki
I agree that contactless payments are almost universally available in the US, and I imagine if I was doing mobile payments the percentage of my transactions that are contactless would be even higher. For instance, I was at a McDonald's drive through yesterday, and I saw the terminal with the handle ready to pass through the window. Since I was using the physical card, I just handed the card to the cashier, and the cashier inserted the card. It's the same thing at my local Starbucks. If the employee sees a customer paying with a physical card, the employee angles the terminal to insert the card even though contactless is enabled on the terminal.

As another metric, when my septuagenarian parents in the Midwest are using the contactless feature on their cards without prompting or instruction on my part, I'd say contactless payments have reached the mainstream.
Speaking of restaurants, Skyline Chili has an interesting setup in that it's basically a sit-down restaurant that also has a drive-thru. I don't know about the drive-thru but if you eat inside, you pay at the counter when you're done. No problems with tapping there as a result.
Majuki likes this.
Old May 26, 2022, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Speaking of restaurants, Skyline Chili has an interesting setup in that it's basically a sit-down restaurant that also has a drive-thru. I don't know about the drive-thru but if you eat inside, you pay at the counter when you're done. No problems with tapping there as a result.
That's like the setup at Steak 'n Shake. I haven't been inside one in nearly 8 years, so I don't know how their payments systems work now.
Old May 26, 2022, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
I’ve finally been able to use contactless at Wendy’s. The Ingenicos are really slow at picking up taps.
Murphy's Express has the same issue with their Lane/3000s but they work just fine at Raising Cane's. It took like 5 to 7 seconds of holding to read a contactless card at Murphy the 2nd time trying yesterday and it failed to read the first time.. Really defeats the purpose of contactless but it works just fine at the Wayne pumps. It should be instant like the pumps are..
Old May 27, 2022, 3:37 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by Majuki
I agree that contactless payments are almost universally available in the US
I wouldn't say that just yet. As of now, 5 of the 10 largest merchants in the US have contactless enabled. Plenty of sit-down restaurants and smaller merchants don't as well. I just checked my card statement, and 12 of my last 20 in-person purchases were at places that accept NFC.

Oh, and then there's the chain with the most locations in the country, the USPS, where the employees keep saying "we don't accept Apple Pay" and then freak out when my MST payment goes through.
Old May 27, 2022, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cbn42
I wouldn't say that just yet. As of now, 5 of the 10 largest merchants in the US have contactless enabled. Plenty of sit-down restaurants and smaller merchants don't as well. I just checked my card statement, and 12 of my last 20 in-person purchases were at places that accept NFC.

Oh, and then there's the chain with the most locations in the country, the USPS, where the employees keep saying "we don't accept Apple Pay" and then freak out when my MST payment goes through.
Oh yeah, we're definitely not at 100% merchant acceptance (and we may never reach such, either, especially if something like Amazon's "Just Walk Out" technology or some other card not present type thing gains traction among customers). However, even compared to a year ago, people seem way more okay with the concept now.

Speaking of not reaching 100% merchant acceptance, UA is apparently getting rid of all card acceptance equipment on board and requiring people to either use their app or have their CC on file for onboard purchases. Good luck with that, I guess, considering how in-flight Wi-Fi in general doesn't exactly have the best reliability record.
Old May 27, 2022, 4:40 pm

Oh yeah, we're definitely not at 100% merchant acceptance (and we may never reach such, either, especially if something like Amazon's "Just Walk Out" technology or some other card not present type thing gains traction among customers).
That technology allows for contactless cards to be used instead of a Prime Code.
I'm sure either Visa or MC will mandate contactless acceptance eventually... perhaps when magstripe goes away in 2027.
Old May 27, 2022, 4:43 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Speaking of not reaching 100% merchant acceptance, UA is apparently getting rid of all card acceptance equipment on board and requiring people to either use their app or have their CC on file for onboard purchases. Good luck with that, I guess, considering how in-flight Wi-Fi in general doesn't exactly have the best reliability record.
That sounds like a good way of discouraging purchases. Many people won't think ahead and put their CC on file before the flight. I wonder if they have data suggesting that only frequent fliers tend to buy things onboard.
Old May 27, 2022, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PrendellHiggins
That technology allows for contactless cards to be used instead of a Prime Code.

[...]

I'm sure either Visa or MC will mandate contactless acceptance eventually... perhaps when magstripe goes away in 2027.
The spokesperson in the video claimed you can tap but there's no indication that this was enabled at the time of the video:

(Also, the Lane/3000 PIN pad seems overkill for this application, but then again, the unattended readers would require multiple devices.)

Additionally, Hudson is probably one of those places where some sort of app based solution wouldn't work well, whereas a fair number of other stores that'd adopt something like this have some sort of loyalty system they'd rather people use; I can see some of them tying Just Walk Out to having a CC on file. Plus, curbside pickup/online ordering is still increasing in popularity, which of course doesn't use any card present hardware at all.

Originally Posted by cbn42
That sounds like a good way of discouraging purchases. Many people won't think ahead and put their CC on file before the flight. I wonder if they have data suggesting that only frequent fliers tend to buy things onboard.
I would have guessed it'd mainly be people who travel for work (and thus can expense onboard meals) or very infrequent flyers who aren't aware that the airlines haven't really had free meals onboard in domestic Y for at least a decade now. Though I guess (1) is a subset of frequent flyers, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.