Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless payment cards (2022 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2022, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
Older (archived) threads:
2017- 21
2014-16

- - - - - -

FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of near-field communication (NFC)/contactless that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature. (EMV stands for Europay, MasterCard & Visa, the 1994 founders of the EMV chip or smart chip technology.)

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.
  2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode

Print Wikipost

USA contactless payment cards (2022 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2022, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
Someone on reddit reported that contactless worked at Michaels. I know that there were like one or two a long while ago that supported it (but definitely nowhere near the majority); I'm not sure if it was simply one of the former or if they actually support it at all locations now
Pretty sure it's all locations. My store didn't support it a month ago but does now. One more holdout has finally converted!

scibot likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 1:19 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by scibot
I wonder if 7-Eleven with MX915s finally has nfc? I see one with MX915s on the ctls locator now. Unless they replaced the MX915s with ones that support contactless?
There are 7 Elevens with MX915s? All of the ones I've ever been to have the Ingenicos.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by diburning
There are 7 Elevens with MX915s? All of the ones I've ever been to have the Ingenicos.
Locations usually with Conoco or Phillips 66 branded gas use one pos system and not two separate systems. But nfc has never been enabled on the MX915s for years now.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by scibot
Locations usually with Conoco or Phillips 66 branded gas use one pos system and not two separate systems. But nfc has never been enabled on the MX915s for years now.
The one location around here that had MX915s was unbranded. I seem to remember it going to Ingenicos after its remodel but I'm not 100% sure.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 2:48 pm

The one location around here that had MX915s was unbranded. I seem to remember it going to Ingenicos after its remodel but I'm not 100% sure.
I found a 7-Eleven location in CO with Wayne pumps with nfc enabled at the pump and the 7-Eleven system with iSC250s also with nfc enabled inside. 7-Eleven with Sinclair gas in CO uses two different pos systems with Passport for fuel and 7-Eleven fort everything else. In KC most stations are MX915 only with only a few with Ingenico iSC250s with nfc enabled on them. I really don't think they know what they are doing...
Old Mar 23, 2022, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Sprouts seems to use the global AID for contactless debit card transactions now. I wonder if they got a bunch of complaints and finally decided that forced debit routing for contactless wasn't worth the trouble.

Unfortunately, this also means no cash back on contactless from there anymore. Given that contactless at ATMs is still nowhere near common (especially for cards other than the ATM owner's), this is a pretty big loss IMO.

EDIT: also, it seems that the credit union debit card I have went signature-preferring at the same time they introduced contactless according to cardpeek. Not a surprise but still.

Last edited by tmiw; Mar 23, 2022 at 4:34 pm
Old Mar 29, 2022, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I went to a new cookie shop yesterday that seemed to be using a reader similar to the one in the Waffle House photo that someone posted quite a long time ago. Unfortunately, contactless didn't work; I kept getting "transaction could not be completed" type errors with my physical Chase card. Inserting did work fine, however.

Given the issues I had, I wonder if contactless actually works properly at Waffle House or if they even use that device anymore for that matter.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 4:17 pm

Programs: Skymiles
I went to a new cookie shop yesterday that seemed to be using a reader similar to the one in the Waffle House photo that someone posted quite a long time ago. Unfortunately, contactless didn't work; I kept getting "transaction could not be completed" type errors with my physical Chase card. Inserting did work fine, however.

Given the issues I had, I wonder if contactless actually works properly at Waffle House or if they even use that device anymore for that matter.
I used the weird Waffle House device here in Mesa, AZ with my Apple Card via Apple Pay, and it worked just fine. Probably an error in configuring the merchant account, or the merchant account for whatever reason still doesn't support contactless......you'd honestly be surprised.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
I used the weird Waffle House device here in Mesa, AZ with my Apple Card via Apple Pay, and it worked just fine. Probably an error in configuring the merchant account, or the merchant account for whatever reason still doesn't support contactless......you'd honestly be surprised.
I'm guessing EMV contactless, right? Or is Waffle House still using MSD?
Old Apr 4, 2022, 11:38 pm

It continues to elude me as to why pay at pump apps are a thing. I never see anyone use them. Perhaps in northern territories where it's freezing cold? But even then they still have to get out eventually. How is it not easier and more cost effective to just develop an NFC rewards pass for the mobile wallets? I'm only aware of two that do this: Texaco in the UK for Google Pay & Apple Wallet and Maverik in the USA for Apple Wallet only.

Tried Wawa's just to laugh at how awful it was and it crashed the pump. I guess tap once for loyalty and again for payment would be too difficult for people. Instead they have to download an app, login, wait, authenticate, wait more, and then the pump will finally activate. Ridiculous.

(Oh and btw our app won't work if you don't have signal. Sorry, but uhhh... why didn't you have a physical card to insert in case you found one of our stations that still doesn't have contactless? 🤦🏼‍♂️)
— Exxon, basically

Last edited by PrendellHiggins; Apr 4, 2022 at 11:44 pm
Old Apr 5, 2022, 8:57 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by PrendellHiggins
It continues to elude me as to why pay at pump apps are a thing. I never see anyone use them. Perhaps in northern territories where it's freezing cold? But even then they still have to get out eventually. How is it not easier and more cost effective to just develop an NFC rewards pass for the mobile wallets? I'm only aware of two that do this: Texaco in the UK for Google Pay & Apple Wallet and Maverik in the USA for Apple Wallet only.
I think the thinking of the gas station chains was twofold: You could offer contactless payment before everyone retrofitted for EMV/NFC with targeted promos, and you could ingrain the habit of using a single app where people then don't view your brand of gas as interchangeable for others due to the convenience. However, a lot of these apps are realllllly poorly designed and have too many headaches to be friendly to those who aren't as technically inclined or willing to avoid the skimming risk if at all possible. (at the start of the pandemic it was nice to fully authorize the pump, no loyalty ID entry on the pump, no ZIP code, no "do you want a receipt" on the pump - you still have to handle the pump outside full serve, but it's less surfaces to touch. Northeast climates are also nice when it's cold to minimize time outside.)

However the main benefit if you're offer inclined is to churn the bonuses offers for these apps. ExxonMobil regularly throws point promos for app users, Gulf regularly throws random "15 cents off a gallon today only" promos, BPme regularly offers $10 off $20+ via Amex offers, etc...

ExxonMobil seemed to lean hard into the app approach to convince station owners they had a replacement for the old speedpass keychains that didn't require as expensive of pump retrofits for NFC. Doesn't seem to have worked - many station owners have relented and gone back to install NFC contactless. The loyalty ID still doesn't have NFC though. (I think the stations are still salty about pouring the dev effort into these apps and not getting the expected ROI, hence the stubbornness of not adding NFC contactless support on the loyalty ID. Could just also be the glacial pace of IT in certain industries though.)

I would add Costco as maybe another one above (with a caveat), as if you have their branded Citi Visa the membership and payment info are transmitted to the pump in one go on tap - so the pump goes to remove handle/select grade with just the one tap. They do not have the membership as a separately available NFC ID outside the Visa though (either for the non-credit card membership card, or for mobile wallets).
Old Apr 5, 2022, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by phltraveler
ExxonMobil seemed to lean hard into the app approach to convince station owners they had a replacement for the old speedpass keychains that didn't require as expensive of pump retrofits for NFC. Doesn't seem to have worked - many station owners have relented and gone back to install NFC contactless.
App-based loyalty failing doesn't necessarily imply NFC. In fact, without the increased demand from customers for NFC-based payment, it's possible gas stations would never have bothered installing the readers and simply stuck with EMV (+ optionally phone number based loyalty).

(BTW, most Mobil stations around here still don't have outdoor readers, but at least a few did install them recently.)

The loyalty ID still doesn't have NFC though. (I think the stations are still salty about pouring the dev effort into these apps and not getting the expected ROI, hence the stubbornness of not adding NFC contactless support on the loyalty ID. Could just also be the glacial pace of IT in certain industries though.)
I believe it was mentioned here quite a while ago that it actually costs a significant amount of money/time to do NFC loyalty, even for normal merchants using stuff like e.g. Verifone MX915/P400s. Meanwhile, adding a barcode to an existing app (or even using the standard API to get it in the Wallet app on iOS or the Android equivalent) is far less of a hassle. If it's a massively hard sell for the normal merchants, I can't imagine gas stations (which for one thing are the only ones that successfully managed to make surcharging standard in their industry) would want to.

I would add Costco as maybe another one above (with a caveat), as if you have their branded Citi Visa the membership and payment info are transmitted to the pump in one go on tap - so the pump goes to remove handle/select grade with just the one tap. They do not have the membership as a separately available NFC ID outside the Visa though (either for the non-credit card membership card, or for mobile wallets).
Costco's pumps have the hardware to read the QR code from their app but I have no clue if/when that will be turned on.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PrendellHiggins
Pretty sure it's all locations. My store didn't support it a month ago but does now. One more holdout has finally converted!
Debit cards use the global AID there too, apparently. Seems like that's becoming more and more common vs. using PINless debit or even just asking for PIN.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
NFC = near-field communication (contactless)

Although used in the thread title, I have just perused this entire thread and nowhere, so far, has this NFC abbreviation been defined. Perhaps the original poster (OP) might want to include this in Post # 1?

Two other undefined abbreviations in this thread include:

EMV = Europay, MasterCard & Visa. These were the 1994 founders of the EMV chip or smart chip technology.

AID = Application Identifier. "A common AID allows merchants and acquirers to route a transaction to any payment network available on the card. The U.S. Common Debit AID allows merchants to set any of the global debit payment networks and the U.S debit payment networks that are enabled on the card including payment networks such as Star, NYCE, Accel Exchange, etc."

https://blog.ingenico.us/blog/what-i...does-it-matter
Old Apr 11, 2022, 7:53 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Although used in the thread title, I have just perused this entire thread and nowhere, so far, has this NFC abbreviation been defined.
I believe all of the above were defined at one point or another in a previous thread on EMV cards. The contactless thread split from the EMV thread, and the original EMV thread has since been closed to new posts.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.