Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless payment cards (2022 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2022, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
Older (archived) threads:
2017- 21
2014-16

- - - - - -

FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of near-field communication (NFC)/contactless that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature. (EMV stands for Europay, MasterCard & Visa, the 1994 founders of the EMV chip or smart chip technology.)

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.
  2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode

Print Wikipost

USA contactless payment cards (2022 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2022, 7:55 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by scibot
Love's Lane/8000s are slow to read ctls as well. I wonder if it's related? My Wendy's refused to read and just said "card read error".
A local grocer uses Lane 8000s and they're wayyyy slower than Verifone units that they use across the street at their liquor store. It is a different PoS on each (Toshiba Self checkout vs. ???? manned checkout at the liquor store), but the Ingenicos are slow. Maybe 3-4 seconds after the light is green for the NFC area on the 8000 until it actually reads and all four lights go green.
Old May 9, 2022, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by phltraveler
A local grocer uses Lane 8000s and they're wayyyy slower than Verifone units that they use across the street at their liquor store. It is a different PoS on each (Toshiba Self checkout vs. ???? manned checkout at the liquor store), but the Ingenicos are slow. Maybe 3-4 seconds after the light is green for the NFC area on the 8000 until it actually reads and all four lights go green.
Love's wasn't always like that though and now Love's asks for a pin so no more CDCVM either but the speed was an issue before. Dollar General has no issues with their Lane/8000s at all works just fine.
Old May 10, 2022, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Looks like EMVco is finally consolidating the various EMV contactless kernels into one single one "to make it easier for merchants to accept contactless". Considering that a) most merchants in the US already do and b) much of the remaining opposition isn't based on technical issues (to my knowledge anyway), I'm not sure how much this will help.

Speaking of acceptance, there's still no contactless at Wendy's locations here. Or at least the "no Apple Pay" sign is still up outside at one of them; I didn't bother going through the drive thru this morning to confirm either way.
Old May 11, 2022, 4:23 pm

Programs: Skymiles
I got a funny one for you guys. Went into a Shell station to grab a water bottle and there is a sticker over the MX915 (SWIPE NOT ALLOWED, Please Insert Chip or Tap phone or card with WI-FI)

The fact they’re not allowing swipe at all has to be breaking some rule, but calling NFC, Wi-Fi, that’s a new one for me!
Old May 11, 2022, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
I got a funny one for you guys. Went into a Shell station to grab a water bottle and there is a sticker over the MX915 (SWIPE NOT ALLOWED, Please Insert Chip or Tap phone or card with WI-FI)

The fact they’re not allowing swipe at all has to be breaking some rule, but calling NFC, Wi-Fi, that’s a new one for me!
Just ahead of the curve. Everyone's effectively going to be this way starting in 2028 since banks are going to get rid of the magstripe pretty quickly after that.
Old May 12, 2022, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
Just ahead of the curve. Everyone's effectively going to be this way starting in 2028 since banks are going to get rid of the magstripe pretty quickly after that.
Let's hope so. Today with hardware capable of both chip read and contactless being readily available, it needs to disappear ASAP. There is no longer any good reason to support this insecure, legacy system.
Old May 12, 2022, 8:59 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by RedLight2015

My guess is that the magswipe will be read, but that you have people who are older and used to swiping doing so, and then staring blankly as the screen says "INSERT CHIP" because the card has a flag on the magswipe indicating a chip is present.
Old May 12, 2022, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by storewanderer
A second Wendy's I went to refused to allow Contactless. I had my phone out and ready. The employee goes "we do not accept Apple Pay here." I said yes you do, I used it a couple days ago. He said no we do not, and the manager came out and said the same. Both of them refused to activate the pinpad until I'd put my phone away. I said okay fine and I took out my card. They said "insert your card when the screen changes." Screen said insert/tap/swipe so I tapped my card and it went through. I said to the cashier- that is the same as Apple Pay. He said no it is not the same we do not accept Apple Pay.
Report them to Wendy's corporate or Visa (even if you didn't use a Visa card) https://usa.visa.com/Forms/visa-rules.html
SPN Lifer and scibot like this.
Old May 15, 2022, 12:10 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by PrendellHiggins
Report them to Wendy's corporate or Visa (even if you didn't use a Visa card) https://usa.visa.com/Forms/visa-rules.html
Was told by corporate customer service hotline that they do not accept Apple Pay. When I questioned why the system said tap and told them it was a recent update they didn't seem to know anything about the update and said if it will process then they should honor it.

The NO APPLE PAY sign they love so much is still posted at a location I went to today (was drive through only at 2 PM so I don't know if the system had the tap option or not). Already reported that one to Visa last month.

Nobody cares.

In other news Popeyes drive through has a sign saying they accept Apple Pay and Google Pay and when I showed my phone they stuck the pinpad out the window.
PrendellHiggins likes this.
Old May 15, 2022, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The Pilot here finally enabled contactless at the pumps. There's no indication on the main display, just the light on the Verifone reader. Unfortunately, it's one of those locations that has a ZIP code prompt for it despite actually running it in EMV mode. (No online PIN support on credit for contactless, either.)
Old May 15, 2022, 11:54 am

The Pilot here finally enabled contactless at the pumps. There's no indication on the main display, just the light on the Verifone reader. Unfortunately, it's one of those locations that has a ZIP code prompt for it despite actually running it in EMV mode. (No online PIN support on credit for contactless, either.)
Casey's is the same way with the same POS system. I wonder if Pilot ever enabled pin bypass for ctls debit inside? I doubt it though. Casey's never did but they fixed the debit part so that it doesn't decline. Hopefully they will remove the zip code prompt like everyone else does.
Old May 15, 2022, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

We were at Red Lobster today and the Presto device didn't have contactless enabled. I remember it working last time we were there, albeit quite a while ago. Temporary issue or did Red Lobster fully disable it for some reason? They even had EMV contactless before so if they did purposely disable it, it wouldn't have been due to that.

Originally Posted by scibot
Casey's is the same way with the same POS system. I wonder if Pilot ever enabled pin bypass for ctls debit inside? I doubt it though. Casey's never did but they fixed the debit part so that it doesn't decline. Hopefully they will remove the zip code prompt like everyone else does.
I've always thought that the ZIP code prompts continuing to exist on pumps is a combination of not trusting chip and signature and wanting to keep the user experience as close to the same as possible. That does slowly seem to be changing, though.
Old May 16, 2022, 6:27 am

We were at Red Lobster today and the Presto device didn't have contactless enabled. I remember it working last time we were there, albeit quite a while ago. Temporary issue or did Red Lobster fully disable it for some reason? They even had EMV contactless before so if they did purposely disable it, it wouldn't have been due to that.
Tell 'em about it. Olive Garden had NFC disabled on one of their machines a year ago, and after I told them they apologized, gave me a free meal, and re-enabled NFC.
Old May 16, 2022, 4:17 pm

We were at Red Lobster today and the Presto device didn't have contactless enabled. I remember it working last time we were there, albeit quite a while ago.
It's been disabled for a while. I was there today and it still didn't work. I thought I had read that contactless is disabled if the battery gets removed. Maybe they got tired of reenabling it whenever they needed to change the battery.
Old May 16, 2022, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LoveClassicMusic0205
It's been disabled for a while. I was there today and it still didn't work. I thought I had read that contactless is disabled if the battery gets removed. Maybe they got tired of reenabling it whenever they needed to change the battery.
IMO, this is pretty poor UX on Presto's part if true. Considering that the US doesn't use PIN, they don't even have that as an excuse; at least Clover simply disables PIN support whenever something goes wrong (becoming a chip/tap and signature only device) instead of disabling entire interfaces. Then again, contactless on Presto isn't great for regular customers, either (e.g. having to push a button on the screen to enable it vs. being allowed to insert immediately).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.