Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless payment cards (2022 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2022, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
Older (archived) threads:
2017- 21
2014-16

- - - - - -

FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of near-field communication (NFC)/contactless that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature. (EMV stands for Europay, MasterCard & Visa, the 1994 founders of the EMV chip or smart chip technology.)

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.
  2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode

Print Wikipost

USA contactless payment cards (2022 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2022, 8:45 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by storewanderer
There is a 7-Eleven 76 in Dutch Flat, CA which was bought from a different operator and already had 76 branding, at the time it was sold, this one has older Wayne pumps but updated to have EMV hardware but 7-Eleven didn't bother to activate the EMV software yet. Inside the store they have the Verifone pinpad, 7-Eleven register, and no Contactless allowed (signs are posted). 7-Eleven took this store over in 2021. There is another like this in Penn Valley, CA, same stuff, bought at the same time. So even on fairly recent installs they continue to support this complete trash and garbage arrangement of no working EMV on the pumps, no working Contactless in the store. They are inept. There is no other way to put it. No other major convenience store chain is so behind on both EMV and Contactless as 7-Eleven. I am surprised the fraud costs haven't put them out of business. Maybe 7-Eleven is the smart one deferring this cost as long as possible...
Theyre busy trying to write ...... apps and force the loyalty program down people’s throats instead!
Old Sep 5, 2022, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Has anyone ever had the RFID fail on one of their cards? I'm getting one of my Chase cards replaced because as of about a month ago it quit working for contactless payments. It's a bit strange, and it hasn't happened to any of my other cards. FWIW, it's my primary spend card.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 12:45 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by RedLight2015
Theyre busy trying to write ...... apps and force the loyalty program down people’s throats instead!
A brand new 7-Eleven opened in my area. It just opened last week. It has the ISC250 pinpads. Aren't those end of life/out of service? I notice Wal Mart has been replacing them.

Maybe they brought used equipment into this new store.

I guess I should be happy they went for the ISC250s so they can have Contactless in the store....
Old Sep 6, 2022, 12:50 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Majuki
Has anyone ever had the RFID fail on one of their cards? I'm getting one of my Chase cards replaced because as of about a month ago it quit working for contactless payments. It's a bit strange, and it hasn't happened to any of my other cards. FWIW, it's my primary spend card.
Yes I had the contactless part of my Chase card fail. It's not my primary card so I just waited it out until they sent me a new one around the time of its expiration.
Majuki likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
A brand new 7-Eleven opened in my area. It just opened last week. It has the ISC250 pinpads. Aren't those end of life/out of service? I notice Wal Mart has been replacing them.

Maybe they brought used equipment into this new store.

I guess I should be happy they went for the ISC250s so they can have Contactless in the store....
FWIW, the EMVco approval for the iSC250 (if I'm reading their site correctly) expires next year. I'm not sure if that approval can be extended, though.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 2:00 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by diburning
Yes I had the contactless part of my Chase card fail. It's not my primary card so I just waited it out until they sent me a new one around the time of its expiration.
That's like my Chase Freedom card where the one they sent never had contactless working on it. However, since it's a card I don't use every day I am doing the same thing by waiting until it expires.

The card that failed is a Chase Freedom Unlimited. I have the card loaded onto Google Pay on my phone and watch, so I have a contactless option if desired while I wait for the replacement.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 2:22 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Mine was also a Chase Freedom Unlimited. The current card that I have seems to be working fine.
Majuki likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scibot
My Arby's location was the same as it has been remodeled in the past six to eight months when they added the new registers and the MX915s. For those Carl's Jr at Love's that is far better then the msr readers they had before. I will check out a Carl's Jr at a Love's next month.
Looks like my local Arby's finally swapped out their POS system for the official one (along with installing MX915s). Also no contactless there, unfortunately. I would have thought they'd have just gone for the next generation Verifone terminals instead given how long it took for this one just to get EMV in the first place, but eh.

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
7-Eleven's doesn't bother me because at least it's still optional (that is, they didn't take away any existing payment methods in the process). It wasn't that long ago that tapping at the pump was basically not a thing at Mobil and Shell, for instance.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Majuki
Yes, I've had it happen twice with Chase (once when the card was fairly new), and once with Capital One, but that card was about 4 years old.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
It wasn't that long ago that tapping at the pump was basically not a thing at Mobil and Shell, for instance.
I think I've only seen one Shell station with contactless and it was MSD. Mobil seems to have more contactless and I used it a few days ago. It also is MSD. The same seems to be the case with Marathon.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LoveClassicMusic0205
I think I've only seen one Shell station with contactless and it was MSD. Mobil seems to have more contactless and I used it a few days ago. It also is MSD. The same seems to be the case with Marathon.
I've actually seen one Shell station with outdoor EMV contactless so far. Gilbarco pumps and Verifone readers.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 1:04 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
So far most gas pumps are still MSD Contactless.

Gas pumps that are EMV Contactless:
Maverik (all)
Loves (all)
Costco (all)
Chevron (some locations; Gilbarco pumps with Gilbarco POS only; Wayne pumps and/or Verifone POS still MSD Contactless pumps)
Speedway (all) (excludes Speedway Express)
Safeway
Quik Trip

Also think I've seen some 76 and unbranded stations with Gilbarco pump and Gilbarco POS have EMV Contactless on the pump but most still MSD even with that pump/register combination.

User sees no difference in a gas pump with EMV Contactless vs. MSD Contactless. Main difference is most who hang on the MSD Contactless keep having a zip code prompt with Contactless (probably is the reason why they keep hanging on to MSD Contactless as they were many of the same gas station chains who did not roll out EMV until they could get an EMV with zip code prompt working).
Old Sep 7, 2022, 11:34 am

Maverik (all)
Loves (all)
Costco (all)
Chevron (some locations; Gilbarco pumps with Gilbarco POS only; Wayne pumps and/or Verifone POS still MSD Contactless pumps)
Safeway
Quik Trip

Also think I've seen some 76 and unbranded stations with Gilbarco pump and Gilbarco POS have EMV Contactless on the pump but most still MSD even with that pump/register combination.

User sees no difference in a gas pump with EMV Contactless vs. MSD Contactless. Main difference is most who hang on the MSD Contactless keep having a zip code prompt with Contactless (probably is the reason why they keep hanging on to MSD Contactless as they were many of the same gas station chains who did not roll out EMV until they could get an EMV with zip code prompt working).
Wawa is contactless EMV. They even disabled contactless for a time when they finally enabled contact EMV since I guess they didn't have the certificate for qVSDC.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
Looks like my local Arby's finally swapped out their POS system for the official one (along with installing MX915s). Also no contactless there, unfortunately. I would have thought they'd have just gone for the next generation Verifone terminals instead given how long it took for this one just to get EMV in the first place, but eh.

7-Eleven's doesn't bother me because at least it's still optional (that is, they didn't take away any existing payment methods in the process). It wasn't that long ago that tapping at the pump was basically not a thing at Mobil and Shell, for instance.
I wouldn't be surprised if they rip out the MX915s and replace with Lane/7000s in the near future.

Maverik (all)
Loves (all)
Costco (all)
Safeway
Quik Trip

Another store brand with EMV contactless at the pump is Coborn's Express(Part of the Coborn's grocery store) up in MN. They use Wayne pumps with EMV Contactless enabled. As does Casey's General Store who hasn't still finished rolling out emv/ctls software at the pump to all locations. But all large city locations have both EMV contactless and EMV chip. HyVee also has EMV contactless with Flex Pay IV and yeah none of these ask for a zip code. HyVee even shows Chip contactless on their pump receipts.

Last edited by scibot; Sep 7, 2022 at 7:40 pm
Old Sep 7, 2022, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I opened the Panera app this morning and it prompted me to add my Panera card to Google Pay. Unfortunately, the Android version of their loyalty card still doesn't have NFC (or even a barcode for that matter; the cashier would need to enter the displayed number manually if I tried to use it).

Also, I forgot to mention this but the USPS kiosks still didn't have contactless turned on when I used one to mail something yesterday. Kinda makes me wonder if those will only get it if/when the reader hardware's swapped out (much like how they went from Ingenico to Verifone for the manned counters).

Originally Posted by scibot
I wouldn't be surprised if they rip out the MX915s and replace with Lane/7000s in the near future.
It'd be one thing if my local Arby's had EMV for years (like most of the rest) but it still seems wasteful to install MX915s and then almost immediately replace them.
PrendellHiggins likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.