Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless payment cards (2022 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2022, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
Older (archived) threads:
2017- 21
2014-16

- - - - - -

FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of near-field communication (NFC)/contactless that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature. (EMV stands for Europay, MasterCard & Visa, the 1994 founders of the EMV chip or smart chip technology.)

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.
  2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode

Print Wikipost

USA contactless payment cards (2022 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2022, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
I opened the Panera app this morning and it prompted me to add my Panera card to Google Pay. Unfortunately, the Android version of their loyalty card still doesn't have NFC (or even a barcode for that matter; the cashier would need to enter the displayed number manually if I tried to use it).
At least they finally fixed the AtGW function. For the longest time it would spit out an error saying "there was an error with Google Wallet."

Last edited by PrendellHiggins; Sep 8, 2022 at 2:26 pm
Old Sep 9, 2022, 10:25 am

The tale of two terminals. One was on the left side of the FedEx Office store and the other on the right. No idea how these huge corporations think this is okay.

Old Sep 9, 2022, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by PrendellHiggins
The tale of two terminals. One was on the left side of the FedEx Office store and the other on the right. No idea how these huge corporations think this is okay.
Eh, the liability for fraudulent transactions is on them so if they want to deal with that, sure. Plus, they'll have to fix it by 2028 or so anyway.
PrendellHiggins likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by PrendellHiggins
I believe they're in the process of switching over to EMV. I was in a FedEx Office store in late July and they still had the swipe only machine, but said that EMV would be coming soon. It looks like they're beginning to make the transition.

Just from my experience, it seems like EMV is fairly common today. Swiped transactions seem to be a minority now (though a lot of contactless still seems to be MSD).
Old Sep 9, 2022, 5:14 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by tmiw
I opened the Panera app this morning and it prompted me to add my Panera card to Google Pay. Unfortunately, the Android version of their loyalty card still doesn't have NFC (or even a barcode for that matter; the cashier would need to enter the displayed number manually if I tried to use it).

Also, I forgot to mention this but the USPS kiosks still didn't have contactless turned on when I used one to mail something yesterday. Kinda makes me wonder if those will only get it if/when the reader hardware's swapped out (much like how they went from Ingenico to Verifone for the manned counters).

It'd be one thing if my local Arby's had EMV for years (like most of the rest) but it still seems wasteful to install MX915s and then almost immediately replace them.
You would be very surprised. I have seen places get installed with brand new PIN pads, and then immediately got ripped out and replaced with something newer. Like MX915 to M400
Old Sep 10, 2022, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LoveClassicMusic0205
Just from my experience, it seems like EMV is fairly common today. Swiped transactions seem to be a minority now (though a lot of contactless still seems to be MSD).
Other than gas pumps, I'd say most contactless is EMV now for me. Admittedly I haven't really paid attention in a while so I could be overestimating EMV contactless usage for sure.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 1:50 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Lowe's Food (the TX/NM chain) finally has working EMV Contactless.

Murphy Express seems to have eliminated the zip code prompt with EMV at the pump at least for Visa/Mastercard.

Went to a Circle K with stickers on the pumps that said "ENTER DATA MEANS ENTER ZIP CODE." Oh boy. Well, their EMV didn't want any data. On a Contactless Mastercard the pump goes automatically to decline. Contactless Visa worked well- MSD Contactless.

Also went to a 7-Eleven with Sinclair Fuel and the pumps had Contactless and EMV both working and the pumps were not hooked up to the 7-Eleven cash register in any way. What was odd is in the store I did not see the Gilbarco register that was obviously controlling the pumps. I thought of doing a fuel prepay in the store but the fuel in this particular area was about .50 above the area around the airport so I didn't want to buy much fuel in that area.
scibot likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by storewanderer
Lowe's Food (the TX/NM chain) finally has working EMV Contactless.

Murphy Express seems to have eliminated the zip code prompt with EMV at the pump at least for Visa/Mastercard.

Went to a Circle K with stickers on the pumps that said "ENTER DATA MEANS ENTER ZIP CODE." Oh boy. Well, their EMV didn't want any data. On a Contactless Mastercard the pump goes automatically to decline. Contactless Visa worked well- MSD Contactless.

Also went to a 7-Eleven with Sinclair Fuel and the pumps had Contactless and EMV both working and the pumps were not hooked up to the 7-Eleven cash register in any way. What was odd is in the store I did not see the Gilbarco register that was obviously controlling the pumps. I thought of doing a fuel prepay in the store but the fuel in this particular area was about .50 above the area around the airport so I didn't want to buy much fuel in that area.
I think Natural Grocers uses the same POS system as Lowe's so they should have EMV contactless as well. Correct I think Visa/MC at Murphy's actually supports CDCVM if Apple or Google Pay is used. Amex still asks for a zip code though. The 7-Eleven/Sinclair locations I've seen in Colorado use both 7-Eleven and Passport but no ctls readers even though Passport supports it. So I'd imagine it had to be somewhere since 7-Eleven's mixed pos only supports ctls on Wayne pumps and not Gilbarco ones as far as I know.

I went to a small market with a customer facing Lane/3000's hooked to a Ingenico terminal and apparently debit isn't supported on the ctls interface as I tapped my card and I had to swipe it how interesting and yes ctls indeed fast though only credit works.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 10:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
I’m not sure what’s going on but this trip to the US, I’m constantly experiencing US terminals trying to run my Canadian credit cards as Interac/NYCE transactions when using contactless in the US, which prompts a PIN and then obviously results in a decline as they only support Interac via an ATM. This seems to be a new development, even Target has the issue. Some terminals are also promoting me to select Interac or Amex when inserting my Scotiabank Amex as well (it doesn’t seem to happen with any other card though).

Edit: It looks like Visa posted a notice about this back in 2018 and it’s still not been resolved by merchants…
https://technologypartner.visa.com/Download.aspx?id=635
Old Sep 13, 2022, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by scibot
I think Natural Grocers uses the same POS system as Lowe's so they should have EMV contactless as well. Correct I think Visa/MC at Murphy's actually supports CDCVM if Apple or Google Pay is used. Amex still asks for a zip code though. The 7-Eleven/Sinclair locations I've seen in Colorado use both 7-Eleven and Passport but no ctls readers even though Passport supports it. So I'd imagine it had to be somewhere since 7-Eleven's mixed pos only supports ctls on Wayne pumps and not Gilbarco ones as far as I know.

I went to a small market with a customer facing Lane/3000's hooked to a Ingenico terminal and apparently debit isn't supported on the ctls interface as I tapped my card and I had to swipe it how interesting and yes ctls indeed fast though only credit works.
I had to insert a card at Murphy as the Contactless reader at the pump was broken. The 7-Eleven/Sinclair I went to was located in Castle Rock at 1540 Lake Gulch Road. The receipt says it is a business called S&S. The purchase from the inside of 7-Eleven came back as 7-Eleven like any other 7-Eleven but the fuel purchase came back as S&S so it looks like two different POS but I just missed the POS inside that controls the gas pump. S&S appears to be this: https://www.ssfuels.com/find-a-location/

Natural Grocers as of the last time I went there didn't have EMV Contactless. It has been a couple months. Seafood City uses that POS too and says "swipe" when you use Contactless. The receipt at Lowe's Food did look a bit different but still appeared to be that POS, but maybe an updated version of it. I used the self checkout (NCR self checkout) so maybe there is something different going on.

Kum & Go still doesn't have much working Contactless, EMV is mixed bag, works at some, not at others, also zip code prompt continues with EMV there in most cases (had one exception earlier this year where it didn't zip code). Kum & Go is kind of a joke. Quik Trip is far superior, way faster/easier pay at the pump and lower prices/more selection inside the store. Loaf and Jug is the same set up as Quik Stop but most Loaf and Jug seem to have Wayne pumps installed by Kroger which have no Contactless while most Quik Stop have newer Gilbarco pumps installed by EG and they have Contactless but the Contactless got shut off when they turned EMV on. I assume they are waiting for an EMV Contactless upgrade to activate the Contactless on their pumps. at least they took the zip code prompt away when they turned on EMV, and zip code prompt also is gone completely at Circle K.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by reclusive46
I’m not sure what’s going on but this trip to the US, I’m constantly experiencing US terminals trying to run my Canadian credit cards as Interac/NYCE transactions when using contactless in the US, which prompts a PIN and then obviously results in a decline as they only support Interac via an ATM. This seems to be a new development, even Target has the issue. Some terminals are also promoting me to select Interac or Amex when inserting my Scotiabank Amex as well (it doesn’t seem to happen with any other card though).

Edit: It looks like Visa posted a notice about this back in 2018 and it’s still not been resolved by merchants…
https://technologypartner.visa.com/Download.aspx?id=635
I am curious if you try to bypass the pin (by pressing enter or cancel when the pin prompt comes up), do you get any different behavior?

The merchants push debit due to supposed lower processing fees (not even sure they are lower anymore). But this seems to be a violation of the card issuer terms. If anything it sounds like the problem has gotten worse since EMV Contactless installs took place as with MSD Contactless you likely got a "debit or credit" prompt after tapping whereas with the EMV Contactless now it is not giving you any options and pushing straight to a path to decline.

Also curious do these declined transactions show as pending/attempted in your credit card history if you log in?
Old Sep 13, 2022, 2:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
I am curious if you try to bypass the pin (by pressing enter or cancel when the pin prompt comes up), do you get any different behavior?

The merchants push debit due to supposed lower processing fees (not even sure they are lower anymore). But this seems to be a violation of the card issuer terms. If anything it sounds like the problem has gotten worse since EMV Contactless installs took place as with MSD Contactless you likely got a "debit or credit" prompt after tapping whereas with the EMV Contactless now it is not giving you any options and pushing straight to a path to decline.

Also curious do these declined transactions show as pending/attempted in your credit card history if you log in?
I unfortunately don’t seem to able to bypass the PIN or get it run the card as credit at all.

I actually had my first instance today of not being able to complete a transaction at all. Contactless would run as Interac and insert would do the same, no way around it on any of my cards. I couldn’t even use my Canadian debit card as it has a 6 digit pin and the terminal wouldn’t accept anything more than 4 digits. All of the decline receipts show the network as NYCE.

A restaurant had the same issue but they managed to bypass it by manually keying it in. They seemed familiar with the issue with Canadian cards.

Nothing appears to be reaching the bank at all. Presumably because Interac is just rejecting them.

Merchants really need to get this fixed, especially those near the border as it’s going to cause a lot of issues.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 11:49 pm

I unfortunately don’t seem to able to bypass the PIN or get it run the card as credit at all.

I actually had my first instance today of not being able to complete a transaction at all. Contactless would run as Interac and insert would do the same, no way around it on any of my cards. I couldn’t even use my Canadian debit card as it has a 6 digit pin and the terminal wouldn’t accept anything more than 4 digits. All of the decline receipts show the network as NYCE.

A restaurant had the same issue but they managed to bypass it by manually keying it in. They seemed familiar with the issue with Canadian cards.

Nothing appears to be reaching the bank at all. Presumably because Interac is just rejecting them.

Merchants really need to get this fixed, especially those near the border as it’s going to cause a lot of issues.
This is a big problem and as more and more travel over the border picks back up this absolutely needs to be fixed.

I wonder if tricking the terminal into a Fallback transaction would work. Basically if the Chip fails three times some terminals will default it back to telling you to swipe the card. You can make the Chip fail by putting a sticker over the Chip or part of the Chip (it will work again if you remove the sticker).

You could report a Visa Rules violation to Visa on every merchant where this happens. But that doesn't fix the problem of you needing your card to work now at these merchants.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

This seems to be a new development, even Target has the issue.
Is it possible that Target's now running debit cards in general as debit for contactless? IIRC they've always run them "as credit" before using the global AID, so maybe I should pay with my debit card next time to double check.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 1:58 pm

I had to insert a card at Murphy as the Contactless reader at the pump was broken.

Kum & Go still doesn't have much working Contactless, EMV is mixed bag, works at some, not at others, also zip code prompt continues with EMV there in most cases (had one exception earlier this year where it didn't zip code). Kum & Go is kind of a joke. Quik Trip is far superior, way faster/easier pay at the pump and lower prices/more selection inside the store.
At one point at my local Murphy Express the chip reader was broken on the pump and only the ctls reader worked. Kum & Go is only adding ctls readers at the pumps at brand new locations. It's EMV contactless at those new locations and it seems to work fine. Even the newer locations with Flex Pay IV they still haven't added the ctls readers to those locations. Inside works fine but it now forces pin if your using a debit card via ctls which is stupid. They now use Verifone M400 pinpads and they read quick. QuikTrip has indeed rolled out contactless readers at the pumps to every location. Also Kwik Star/Trip is now forcing pin if you use a debit card via ctls which makes me think if it's an NCR Radiant update or something as Kum & Go and Kwik Trip both use that system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.