Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC)

Old Feb 22, 2017, 11:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by Happy
Finally I seriously dont know why this Grayhound Cafe being mentioned so many times. Unless you are vegetarian otherwise what is the big deal?
It's not about the cuisine but rather the way they did DCC. When percysmith and I were there, we couldn't find a way to opt out. It's worth noting for new data points whether or not they've started to allow opt outs. It's also notable because a fellow poster successfully did a reason code 76 chargeback with Chase, so perhaps they became compliant after that.

Originally Posted by kawaii
Interesting. I've encountered DCC at at least four eateries in HK in the last three or four months. Not a lot - one place was the Burger King near the Hung Hom concert venue.
I've typically found that fast food locations do not offer DCC. (Not universal, but it's rare.)
Old Feb 23, 2017, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Majuki
I've typically found that fast food locations do not offer DCC. (Not universal, but it's rare.)
Same experiences here.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 2:01 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat Pro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Add the Hyatt Regency and the Sheraton on the Park (both in Sydney) to the list of companies who attempt this scam at checkout. Disgusting practice imo.

Also add Bangkok Le Meridien to the list! In fact, for the Le Meridien it was a prepaid reservation and they took it upon themselves to utilize DCC for me - without approval! It was a 4.4% up-charge using DCC. Ugh. I am now working to get that changed. I truly hate this scam.

Last edited by TravelinSperry; Feb 25, 2017 at 2:47 am
Old Mar 7, 2017, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Fellow FlyerTalk member klashn and I ate at a Foster's Hollywood in Madrid, and paid via card. The BBVA terminal was brought to the table, and a DCC prompt was presented. The DCC offer was 3.75% and $42.66 on the terminal on a €38.70 bill.

I told the waitress in Spanish to push the button for euros. We were initially a bit confused at the DCC prompt, so I pressed cancel, which cancelled the whole transactions. Oops. Then we realized that the terminal had a touchscreen. The next time around we pressed the EUR button on the touchscreen and then the subsequent screen was a confirmation. Upon continuing a DCC free receipt printed:

I would say the BBVA terminals are generally compliant, but it might present problems if you're not proactive about your currency choice and/or have a language barrier. Perhaps it would be wise to memorize the phrase as you hand over your card, "Si hay una opcin, pulse el botn por euros, por favor." For instance, klashn got hit with DCC in Barcelona 3 years ago at a souvenir shop, but the transaction occurred without any words or preference of currency choice.

I think as long as there is no language barrier and the terminals are similar to BBVA, there shouldn't be a problem to opt out of DCC successfully in Spain.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 1:03 pm

Fellow FlyerTalk member klashn and I ate at a Foster's Hollywood in Madrid, and paid via card. The BBVA terminal was brought to the table, and a DCC prompt was presented. The DCC offer was 3.75% and $42.66 on the terminal on a 38.70 bill.

I told the waitress in Spanish to push the button for euros. We were initially a bit confused at the DCC prompt, so I pressed cancel, which cancelled the whole transactions. Oops. Then we realized that the terminal had a touchscreen. The next time around we pressed the EUR button on the touchscreen and then the subsequent screen was a confirmation.
I've made the same mistake with touchscreen terminals in Spain too. It isn't clear that the machine is touchscreen, until it comes to DCC. Since the on-screen options are green and red, you assume it is telling you to press those buttons. I bet pressing the green button would accept DCC.

Recently, I have found Spain to be fully compliant. DCC is still widespread (even on contactless), but at least staff are now more familiar with it. My advice would be to always retain control of the reader until the transaction is fully complete and you have the receipt, since DCC can be offered even after the transaction looks to be completed.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BruceyBonus
I've made the same mistake with touchscreen terminals in Spain too. It isn't clear that the machine is touchscreen, until it comes to DCC. Since the on-screen options are green and red, you assume it is telling you to press those buttons. I bet pressing the green button would accept DCC.

Recently, I have found Spain to be fully compliant. DCC is still widespread (even on contactless), but at least staff are now more familiar with it. My advice would be to always retain control of the reader until the transaction is fully complete and you have the receipt, since DCC can be offered even after the transaction looks to be completed.
For the last part, you are referring to chip-and-PIN transactions, right? I forget if it was you or someone else had input the PIN and then found out about DCC after the PIN prompt. At least with a signature there's the final say before you end the transaction. My guess is the green would opt you in to DCC, but I've never pressed it to find out.

I do think that Spain sees enough non-euro cards to know what to do, and I didn't feel like they were trying to opt us in to DCC at either of the two locations. We weren't in a tourist area, so perhaps they don't see many non-euro cards. Thanks for the information on contactless payments. I thought that generally contactless payments with a signature waiver prohibit DCC? I used contactless extensively (via Android Pay) in Italy, and I never once saw DCC.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 2:30 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I was hit with DCC in Dublin last week:

Code:
RENTAL CHARGES
DAYS 2 @ 12.87 25.74
SUBTOTAL 25.74 A
DISCOUNT 20.00% -5.15
SUBTOTAL 20.59 A

LOCATION SURCHARGE 22.91 A
CREDIT CARD FEE 5.00
VAT 5.87

TOTAL CHARGES 54.37 EUR
EXCH RATE (Incl Conversion Charge) 1.103
CARD TRANSACTION AMOUNT 59.97 USD

I have been offered a choice of currency and chosen to
pay my rental charges in the currency of my card.
Super pissed, obviously no one asked me or 'offered a choice of currency'
Old Mar 8, 2017, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002

Who's the card issuer? Was this Avis or someone else?
Old Mar 8, 2017, 10:19 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald

Code:
RENTAL CHARGES
DAYS 2 @ 12.87 25.74
SUBTOTAL 25.74 A
DISCOUNT 20.00% -5.15
SUBTOTAL 20.59 A

LOCATION SURCHARGE 22.91 A
CREDIT CARD FEE 5.00
VAT 5.87

TOTAL CHARGES 54.37 EUR
EXCH RATE (Incl Conversion Charge) 1.103
CARD TRANSACTION AMOUNT 59.97 USD

I have been offered a choice of currency and chosen to
pay my rental charges in the currency of my card.
I don't know if this is still true, however, that last time that I checked with Avis a couple of years ago, the only option to opt out of DCC was offered when adding a new credit card to your profile.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 10:47 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
This was Hertz charging my US CSR Visa
Old Mar 8, 2017, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

At least Chase offers a relatively easy way to dispute DCC online. I've not had an issue with Hertz overseas in the past, but in full disclosure the last European Hertz rental I had was nearly 7 years ago. (The last international rental was over a year ago in Australia, and there was no DCC.)
Old Mar 8, 2017, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dispute it.

See upthread my experience with a DCC in Dubai by a restaurant using the CSR. I filled out dispute online. Indian call center called me and informed me the process to charge back.

The 45 days or 60 days time frame that the merchant can rebill has not passed yet but chances are, this restaurant may not rebill. If they dont, the credit becomes permanent.

I believe in previous year's thread someone said Hilton? Beijing DCCed him for a hotel bill that was over $1K. Hotel never answered the dispute and the total amount was off his account permanently.

Got to fight this scam so the merchants would less prone to attempt.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 9:28 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
At least it's not Avis or Airbnb who attempt multi-currency conversion

Last edited by percysmith; Mar 10, 2017 at 1:04 am
Old Mar 9, 2017, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by percysmith
At least it's not Avis or Airbnb who attempt multi-currency conversion
I thought Avis is true DCC?
Old Mar 9, 2017, 8:32 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I thought Avis is true DCC?
That's what I mean - they will present the transaction as if it is billed in your card currency all along. That is the conversion I fear now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.