FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC)
View Single Post
Old Mar 7, 2017, 1:03 pm
BruceyBonus

Originally Posted by Majuki
Fellow FlyerTalk member klashn and I ate at a Foster's Hollywood in Madrid, and paid via card. The BBVA terminal was brought to the table, and a DCC prompt was presented. The DCC offer was 3.75% and $42.66 on the terminal on a €38.70 bill.

I told the waitress in Spanish to push the button for euros. We were initially a bit confused at the DCC prompt, so I pressed cancel, which cancelled the whole transactions. Oops. Then we realized that the terminal had a touchscreen. The next time around we pressed the EUR button on the touchscreen and then the subsequent screen was a confirmation.
I've made the same mistake with touchscreen terminals in Spain too. It isn't clear that the machine is touchscreen, until it comes to DCC. Since the on-screen options are green and red, you assume it is telling you to press those buttons. I bet pressing the green button would accept DCC.

Recently, I have found Spain to be fully compliant. DCC is still widespread (even on contactless), but at least staff are now more familiar with it. My advice would be to always retain control of the reader until the transaction is fully complete and you have the receipt, since DCC can be offered even after the transaction looks to be completed.