FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC)
View Single Post
Old Mar 7, 2017, 8:22 pm
Majuki

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by BruceyBonus
I've made the same mistake with touchscreen terminals in Spain too. It isn't clear that the machine is touchscreen, until it comes to DCC. Since the on-screen options are green and red, you assume it is telling you to press those buttons. I bet pressing the green button would accept DCC.

Recently, I have found Spain to be fully compliant. DCC is still widespread (even on contactless), but at least staff are now more familiar with it. My advice would be to always retain control of the reader until the transaction is fully complete and you have the receipt, since DCC can be offered even after the transaction looks to be completed.
For the last part, you are referring to chip-and-PIN transactions, right? I forget if it was you or someone else had input the PIN and then found out about DCC after the PIN prompt. At least with a signature there's the final say before you end the transaction. My guess is the green would opt you in to DCC, but I've never pressed it to find out.

I do think that Spain sees enough non-euro cards to know what to do, and I didn't feel like they were trying to opt us in to DCC at either of the two locations. We weren't in a tourist area, so perhaps they don't see many non-euro cards. Thanks for the information on contactless payments. I thought that generally contactless payments with a signature waiver prohibit DCC? I used contactless extensively (via Android Pay) in Italy, and I never once saw DCC.