FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC)
View Single Post
Old Mar 7, 2017, 9:52 am
Majuki

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Fellow FlyerTalk member klashn and I ate at a Foster's Hollywood in Madrid, and paid via card. The BBVA terminal was brought to the table, and a DCC prompt was presented. The DCC offer was 3.75% and $42.66 on the terminal on a €38.70 bill.

I told the waitress in Spanish to push the button for euros. We were initially a bit confused at the DCC prompt, so I pressed cancel, which cancelled the whole transactions. Oops. Then we realized that the terminal had a touchscreen. The next time around we pressed the EUR button on the touchscreen and then the subsequent screen was a confirmation. Upon continuing a DCC free receipt printed:

I would say the BBVA terminals are generally compliant, but it might present problems if you're not proactive about your currency choice and/or have a language barrier. Perhaps it would be wise to memorize the phrase as you hand over your card, "Si hay una opción, pulse el botón por euros, por favor." For instance, klashn got hit with DCC in Barcelona 3 years ago at a souvenir shop, but the transaction occurred without any words or preference of currency choice.

I think as long as there is no language barrier and the terminals are similar to BBVA, there shouldn't be a problem to opt out of DCC successfully in Spain.