Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Any success upgrading Barclays AA Aviator Red MC to AA Aviator Silver World Elite MC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2015, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
See also, this thread in the US Airways forum:
New AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards from BarclayCard (US targeted)

Differences between Red and Silver card

Any Aviator cardholders always had the option to upgrade to Silver. You just had to call Barclaycard and pay the $195 annual fee. Beyond that, there's nothing "exclusive" about it.

In short, it depends on if the extra $100/year annual fee the silver card has over the red is justified by the following benefits the silver card has over the red:

5000 EQM after $20k annual spend
Companion certificate after $30k annual spend
Another 5000 EQM after $40k annual spend
3 miles per dollar charged on AA purchases
Global entry reimbursement

Above copied from patmcpsu's post.
Print Wikipost

Any success upgrading Barclays AA Aviator Red MC to AA Aviator Silver World Elite MC?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2015 | 10:56 pm
10 Years on Site

Originally Posted by frudd38
Any data points on getting multiple EQM bonuses from multiple Silver cards?
Officially (per AA.com) you are capped at 10k EQM from Barclays regardless of how many Silver cards you have.
Old Jul 17, 2015 | 6:19 am

Programs: AAdvantage, VA Velocity, QF Frequent Flyer, SQ KrisFlyer, Sixt Platinum, Europcar Executive, Accor
Very strange, I wonder if anybody has had a similar experience:

My wife and I both applied in March, same day, for the US Airways card. Today, for the first time, on both accounts the upgrade link was made available.

Here is the strange part: My card says upgrade will take place July 24. Her's will take place August 13. My $195 annual fee will be due February 26. Hers will be due June 30.

Again, applied and approved on the SAME DAY.

We both had different Barclaycards opened before, she has a 3 year old Travelocity Amex and I opened an Arrival + in January this year. Maybe that has something to do with it? Even so, it all seems strange and arbitrary.

**Edit*** I had a thought:
I wonder, since its a World Elite and our CLs on our Aviator Reds are both below $5000 (mine 2500 hers 3000), which I think is the minimum for a World Elite card if that has anything to do with it? I'm assuming it will come with an auto CLI?
Old Jul 17, 2015 | 6:26 am

Programs: AAdvantage, VA Velocity, QF Frequent Flyer, SQ KrisFlyer, Sixt Platinum, Europcar Executive, Accor
Originally Posted by rwstrickler
Very strange, I wonder if anybody has had a similar experience:

My wife and I both applied in March, same day, for the US Airways card. Today, for the first time, on both accounts the upgrade link was made available.

Here is the strange part: My card says upgrade will take place July 24. Her's will take place August 13. My $195 annual fee will be due February 26. Hers will be due June 30.

Again, applied and approved on the SAME DAY.

We both had different Barclaycards opened before, she has a 3 year old Travelocity Amex and I opened an Arrival + in January this year. Maybe that has something to do with it? Even so, it all seems strange and arbitrary.

**Edit*** I had a thought:
I wonder, since its a World Elite and our CLs on our Aviator Reds are both below $5000 (mine 2500 hers 3000), which I think is the minimum for a World Elite card if that has anything to do with it? I'm assuming it will come with an auto CLI?
I'm sorry to make a bunch of posts in a row, but this is all very strange. As I was typing this, before I hit accept on my Wife's account, it timed out and sent me back to the log in page.

Once I went through the process again, the dates had changed. Upgrade now August 4, AF Due March 13. Again, arbitrary, but closer to my own arrangement.

I should have tried this first, but I wonder if you go to the T&C's multiple times if you can get a different set of dates, or if the computer caught the error when I finally clicked accept? Any theories or similar experiences are welcome.
Old Jul 17, 2015 | 7:02 am

Programs: Ritz-Carlton Gold, Hyatt Plat, AAdvantage Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by rwstrickler
I'm sorry to make a bunch of posts in a row, but this is all very strange. As I was typing this, before I hit accept on my Wife's account, it timed out and sent me back to the log in page.

Once I went through the process again, the dates had changed. Upgrade now August 4, AF Due March 13. Again, arbitrary, but closer to my own arrangement.

I should have tried this first, but I wonder if you go to the T&C's multiple times if you can get a different set of dates, or if the computer caught the error when I finally clicked accept? Any theories or similar experiences are welcome.

This process has been weird to say the least.

I opened my card in April.

I got my replacement aviator card early in may, but they sent me the scheduled aviator card supposedly a couple weeks ago, sent the message about it should have arrived last Friday, and I still got nothing. I have been asking about the upgrade for months as recently as last week with one rep telling me I had to wait a year after my card was opened, but I log in today and surprise there's an upgrade link
while I still haven't received my scheduled card.

I don't know if it's worse to try to do the upgrade online now or calling customer service to figure out the missing card and then upgrade or both together.
Old Jul 17, 2015 | 7:50 am
dw
10 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
A data point from my end-- no upgrade offer yet, but I am one with the 10k anniversary bonus attached to my account. My card was opened in Feb 2014 and I received my Aviator card in May.
Old Jul 17, 2015 | 8:38 am

Programs: Aadvantage
Originally Posted by dw
A data point from my end-- no upgrade offer yet, but I am one with the 10k anniversary bonus attached to my account. My card was opened in Feb 2014 and I received my Aviator card in May.
My situation is similar... 10k bonus, Red cards received (twice - April then June), card opened 7/2013. No upgrade offer. Very frustrating. If it weren't for the potential to get another 10k EQM (on top of what I get from my Citi Exec) for less than $200/yr I'd be long gone.
Old Jul 17, 2015 | 9:32 am

anyone else receive an ad for the Aviator Red in their AAdvantage eStatement this month? It had a link to a page on the AA website with the card and its benefits but no application. Weird they would be still advertising it when people can no longer apply and I believe per Citi they were not able to advertise for it any more. I guess its just a reminder for me to use its benefits since it was part of my customized statment email?

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...d-benefits.jsp
Old Jul 17, 2015 | 10:38 am

Programs: WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Data point:

Just received the online upgrade offer for my account. I was probably one of the last people to apply for/receive the Dividend Miles card back in March before application links were shut down. I've probably only spent about $1,000 on the card since then (only wanted the 50k bonus miles).
Old Jul 17, 2015 | 10:59 pm
40 Countries Visited5M100 Nights15 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by Scsweet
My situation is similar... 10k bonus, Red cards received (twice - April then June), card opened 7/2013. No upgrade offer. Very frustrating. If it weren't for the potential to get another 10k EQM (on top of what I get from my Citi Exec) for less than $200/yr I'd be long gone.
You don't need an offer, just call the number on the back of the card. Eventually you will get someone who will upgrade you. It took me four tries over four months.
ogvon likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2015 | 10:05 am

Programs: Aadvantage
Originally Posted by 236Dakota
You don't need an offer, just call the number on the back of the card. Eventually you will get someone who will upgrade you. It took me four tries over four months.
Thanks... I've been calling since April too. Usually I get told that I'll be able to get upgraded eventually... I've heard: "after your anniversary date", "after you've paid your annual fee", "call back in a few months", "can't promise you this year but definitely some time", "your (10K anniversary bonus) group is last". I keep hoping...
Old Jul 18, 2015 | 3:53 pm

Data point: I signed up for the US airways card towards the end of it's availability. My Aviator red card finally arrived last week. It took forever. I activated it. Once I activated it I saw a pop-up on the right side of my account when I logged in asking me if I wanted to upgrade. FICOin the 790s and this is my only Barclays product ever.
Old Jul 18, 2015 | 11:10 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus cattle, DL SkyPesos peon, HHonors Blue
Aviator Red -> Silver Upgrade offer on Barclays Account Page

FYI, noticed a box with "upgrade your account benefits" on my Barclays Aviator Red account homepage, and clicked through to find a straight-up upgrade offer to the Aviator Silver. Doesn't look like there are any special bennies to upgrade, just says "click here to accept".
Old Jul 19, 2015 | 8:29 am

Originally Posted by LHCVG
FYI, noticed a box with "upgrade your account benefits" on my Barclays Aviator Red account homepage, and clicked through to find a straight-up upgrade offer to the Aviator Silver. Doesn't look like there are any special bennies to upgrade, just says "click here to accept".
I see that on my account as well. I wonder if upgrading will be a hard pull? I also just got my AF waived. Will I need to pay the $195 as soon as I upgrade?
Old Jul 19, 2015 | 8:31 am

Originally Posted by khochurn
I see that on my account as well. I wonder if upgrading will be a hard pull? I also just got my AF waived. Will I need to pay the $195 as soon as I upgrade?
Got my answer to #2 after clicking next

"Your upgraded account will have an annual fee of $195. We will charge this annual fee to your account effective on 06/30/2016 and each year thereafter."
Old Jul 19, 2015 | 9:36 am

Originally Posted by MCIdave
Data point: I signed up for the US airways card towards the end of it's availability. My Aviator red card finally arrived last week. It took forever. I activated it. Once I activated it I saw a pop-up on the right side of my account when I logged in asking me if I wanted to upgrade. FICOin the 790s and this is my only Barclays product ever.
Same situation for me. I am wondering if it is worth upgrading. I just got my AF waived for the red, and the only reason I see myself upgrading is to get global access for my SO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.