Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Any success upgrading Barclays AA Aviator Red MC to AA Aviator Silver World Elite MC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2015, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
See also, this thread in the US Airways forum:
New AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards from BarclayCard (US targeted)

Differences between Red and Silver card

Any Aviator cardholders always had the option to upgrade to Silver. You just had to call Barclaycard and pay the $195 annual fee. Beyond that, there's nothing "exclusive" about it.

In short, it depends on if the extra $100/year annual fee the silver card has over the red is justified by the following benefits the silver card has over the red:

5000 EQM after $20k annual spend
Companion certificate after $30k annual spend
Another 5000 EQM after $40k annual spend
3 miles per dollar charged on AA purchases
Global entry reimbursement

Above copied from patmcpsu's post.
Print Wikipost

Any success upgrading Barclays AA Aviator Red MC to AA Aviator Silver World Elite MC?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2015, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by khochurn
Same situation for me. I am wondering if it is worth upgrading. I just got my AF waived for the red, and the only reason I see myself upgrading is to get global access for my SO.

I did primarily for that reason. I figured when the anniversary comes up I'll either cancel our downgrade.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Posts comparing benefits between the Red & Silver cards belong is this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...rgeted-15.html
Old Jul 20, 2015, 12:01 pm

Programs: WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
I'm also contemplating the upgrade primarily for the Global Entry benefit. When I click the upgrade link, I'm told that the annual fee would post next March, which is my account anniversary. Would I be able to upgrade now, take advantage of the GE benefit, and then downgrade in March to avoid the higher AF?
Old Jul 20, 2015, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by ryanmcv
I'm also contemplating the upgrade primarily for the Global Entry benefit. When I click the upgrade link, I'm told that the annual fee would post next March, which is my account anniversary. Would I be able to upgrade now, take advantage of the GE benefit, and then downgrade in March to avoid the higher AF?
The upgrades are so new that I don't think there's any firsthand experience yet.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 1:52 pm

My account has apparently already upgraded as the image of my card online is silver. I'm going to apply for global entry soon, so I can report back when I find out.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 4:42 pm

Programs: Lufthansa
....had a webmail a few days ago saying that they were sorry and would have a supervisor/manager contact me in 24-48 hours.

A manger called me over the weekend from their Nevada, US call center.

There was a long conversation over service issues and people writing and communicating something on Barclay's part......and then saying something else, voiding out what the original person stated.......general confusion and mismanagement of this "upgrade". The guy was very polite and seemed to be a long time employee.

He stated that this upgrade turned out to be a mess because American Airlines tried to change the parameters of the offer, after Barclay's went ahead and made the offer. He continued that negotiations were ongoing and in the process of being straightened out.

I told him that I did not understand what he was referring to. He said it all had to do with the "EQM offer" and problems concerning this with American Airlines.

He said it would indeed take up to 2 months to get everything squared away with American.

.....call was terminated.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 9:25 am

Programs: Aadvantage
Originally Posted by ZetaToplover
...He said it all had to do with the "EQM offer" and problems concerning this with American Airlines...
What a mess. I wonder whether AA is balking at allowing people with both the Citi Exec and the Aviator Silver to get 20K EQM...
Old Jul 21, 2015, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Scsweet
What a mess. I wonder whether AA is balking at allowing people with both the Citi Exec and the Aviator Silver to get 20K EQM...
Their own fault if so. They've said and even posted in some credit card FAQs on AA.com that you can do it.

(But I'm not sure I believe that. I suspect they're happy if you want to happy $645 in annual fees and spend $80,000 on their cards every year.)
Old Jul 21, 2015, 12:37 pm

Programs: Aadvantage
Originally Posted by nall
Their own fault if so. They've said and even posted in some credit card FAQs on AA.com that you can do it.

(But I'm not sure I believe that. I suspect they're happy if you want to happy $645 in annual fees and spend $80,000 on their cards every year.)
You are right... I went back and searched again for the Aviator Silver FAQ on the AA Site (I couldn't find it with their site navigation or search tool and had to guess the URL based on an Aviator Red link from my recent AAdvantage eSummary) and confirmed that they still say 20K combined EQM is possible. Who knows what the Barclay's rep was talking about...
Old Jul 21, 2015, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by lz80521
Datapoint:

US Air card was opened in December 2014. Total spending was less than $100.

Called Barclay yesterday to request an upgrade to Silver. Rep said my acct. was eligible, so I accepted the new terms she read to me and let her go head to process the upgrade.

She told me new card would arrive in two weeks. All spending before the next billing cycle would not count towards the spending threshold on the new card.

I'm going for the potential EQM earning from Silver (5k EQM after 20k spending, up to 10k EQM). This is in addition to another 10k EQM from Citi AA Exec.
Received silver card in mail yesterday. So, almost one month after I requested the upgrade.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 8:33 am

I received my Silver cards today, about a week and a half after I requested/accepted the upgrade.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 9:22 am

Does anyone know how long it takes for the EQM's to post after meeting the 20K and 40K spend requirement?
Old Jul 30, 2015, 9:18 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by Scsweet
My situation is similar... 10k bonus, Red cards received (twice - April then June), card opened 7/2013. No upgrade offer. Very frustrating. If it weren't for the potential to get another 10k EQM (on top of what I get from my Citi Exec) for less than $200/yr I'd be long gone.
Me too, have called multiple times but no dice. I also have the 10k bonus.

Anyone who had the 10k bonus get an opportunity to upgrade in 2015 (I know some did last year).
Old Jul 30, 2015, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus cattle, DL SkyPesos peon, HHonors Blue
Originally Posted by beachfan
Me too, have called multiple times but no dice. I also have the 10k bonus.

Anyone who had the 10k bonus get an opportunity to upgrade in 2015 (I know some did last year).
So does your Barclays account page not show the box with "Upgrade your benefits" or similar? Wanted to clarify if you simply did not receive a pro-active upgrade offer FROM Barclays or if you don't even see the upgrade link on your account at all.

IIRC from previous threads/posts, those with the 10k card can upgrade to a Silver and continue to get the 10K. The issue SEEMS to be changing your card AWAY from an Aviator, which would in effect "break" the benefits. Apologies if that's mistaken obviously.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 2:06 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List

Still can't upgrade here as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.