Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Any success upgrading Barclays AA Aviator Red MC to AA Aviator Silver World Elite MC?

Old Jul 20, 2015, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
See also, this thread in the US Airways forum:
New AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards from BarclayCard (US targeted)

Differences between Red and Silver card

Any Aviator cardholders always had the option to upgrade to Silver. You just had to call Barclaycard and pay the $195 annual fee. Beyond that, there's nothing "exclusive" about it.

In short, it depends on if the extra $100/year annual fee the silver card has over the red is justified by the following benefits the silver card has over the red:

5000 EQM after $20k annual spend
Companion certificate after $30k annual spend
Another 5000 EQM after $40k annual spend
3 miles per dollar charged on AA purchases
Global entry reimbursement

Above copied from patmcpsu's post.
Print Wikipost

Any success upgrading Barclays AA Aviator Red MC to AA Aviator Silver World Elite MC?

Old Jun 24, 2015, 11:31 pm

Programs: Lufthansa
Originally Posted by ZetaToplover
There may/probably be. It is most likely on the card itself, one reason I asked for a new "Silver" card. The agent would not/could not divulge the "Silver" customer service number, even though he stated I was now "Silver" (albeit without a "Silver card and questioning what benefits are actually in place).

I must say, I have never had anything like this happen before in many years of dealing with cc companies. I believe (but may be wrong) that it has something to do with the pass off to a foreign call center. This particular agent spoke English well and was polite and friendly. He had no "personal" agenda. I believe he was passing on what he was told or knew from working at the center.

As I stated before, this seems to be a "lesser product" when you compare what is going on here and Citi, Chase or even the smaller bank card servicing agents.

continuing;

None of the website e-mails have been answered and there was no contact of any type with "Barclay's"

I re-contacted the Philippines and went through auth. and at that point, since I m supposed to be silver, asked for the US call center # and she provided it, supposedly.

I continued with her that I have two e-mails and one postal letter discussing my "Silver" status, with different starting dates....and that I have ordered a new card twice. She states I am not silver and she doesn't understand why I think I am. I terminate call.

I call the number she gave me for U.S. call center and it is picked up in Philippines..........I get supposed "supervisor" and the call is finally directed to the U.S. call center.

I get a friendly guy in Colorado. We go through auth. and he informs me that the entire folio is screwed up. I am "red" and "silver" under one card, no card has been ordered and I am not supposed to be silver, because I never received a postal letter from them.

I explain what has transpired........I read him the "silver" letter and the two e-mails. He cannot believe this and discusses with an associate. A case is opened. He does supply me with the "silver", US call center 800#. We discuss that the internal, website e-mails are never answered and all the rest of this. He does not know what to say....I thank him and disc. conversation.

So now, a couple of hours spent messing with this.....and really......for what?? Barclay's has some serious issues imho!!
Old Jun 25, 2015, 12:05 pm

Ironic how we're all asking Barclays to let us pay them a higher annual fee... And yet they aren't taking our money.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 5:13 pm

FWIW, my upgrade date passed with nothing on the statement and no change so far on the website, but I called US customer service and my account was showing as a Silver World Elite according to all their systems.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by ZetaToplover
continuing;

None of the website e-mails have been answered and there was no contact of any type with "Barclay's"

I re-contacted the Philippines and went through auth. and at that point, since I m supposed to be silver, asked for the US call center # and she provided it, supposedly.

I continued with her that I have two e-mails and one postal letter discussing my "Silver" status, with different starting dates....and that I have ordered a new card twice. She states I am not silver and she doesn't understand why I think I am. I terminate call.

I call the number she gave me for U.S. call center and it is picked up in Philippines..........I get supposed "supervisor" and the call is finally directed to the U.S. call center.

I get a friendly guy in Colorado. We go through auth. and he informs me that the entire folio is screwed up. I am "red" and "silver" under one card, no card has been ordered and I am not supposed to be silver, because I never received a postal letter from them.

I explain what has transpired........I read him the "silver" letter and the two e-mails. He cannot believe this and discusses with an associate. A case is opened. He does supply me with the "silver", US call center 800#. We discuss that the internal, website e-mails are never answered and all the rest of this. He does not know what to say....I thank him and disc. conversation.

So now, a couple of hours spent messing with this.....and really......for what?? Barclay's has some serious issues imho!!

I spoke with their Nevada call center today and got a female customer service agent. She told me I was "Red" Aviator and I asked what happened to Silver. I told the details quickly. She said she needed to confer with a co-worker. When she came back she said they were sorry, but because of the number of people upgrading, it was taking much longer than usual to make changes. She apologized on behalf of Barclay's. I did ask her if they only serviced "Silver" members at the U.S. center............she said she was not aware that the U.S call center was for Silver members and continued that she services "Red" all day long............ok............we terminated call
Old Jun 26, 2015, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by nall
FWIW, my upgrade date passed with nothing on the statement and no change so far on the website, but I called US customer service and my account was showing as a Silver World Elite according to all their systems.
So when I log in, I still see "Aviator Red World Mastercard" text, image, and benefits, but when I dig down in the rewards or FAQ details, it has all the silver benefits and info.

Weird. Anybody else?
Old Jun 26, 2015, 6:35 pm

You've Got Mail

Just got this through website mail;

Dear Mr. Carvalho

Thank you for contacting us regarding your AAdvantage Aviator Red World MasterCard. We can certainly address your concern regarding the upgrade on your account.

We understand your concerns and apologize if you have received anything less than superior service from us. We strive for excellence and appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with this feedback.

Our records show there was a case created today regarding the upgrade of your account. The case can take 7 to 10 business days. We hope you find this information helpful.

We thank you for being a valued card member. If you have any other questions or concerns, please reply to this message.

Sincerely,

Customer Care
Old Jun 30, 2015, 3:53 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Called in again today, told me they had no idea when I could upgrade, maybe in 3 months. I was really counting on the 10k EQM, this sucks.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 3:58 pm

For those that got upgraded, when will the new Silver AF be charged? Right after the upgrade, or in your original anniversary, or 1 year after upgrade?
Old Jun 30, 2015, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by nall
So when I log in, I still see "Aviator Red World Mastercard" text, image, and benefits, but when I dig down in the rewards or FAQ details, it has all the silver benefits and info.

Weird. Anybody else?
Update: It was reflected properly online after 3-4 days.

Originally Posted by viag8
For those that got upgraded, when will the new Silver AF be charged? Right after the upgrade, or in your original anniversary, or 1 year after upgrade?
You don't pay until your next AF is due. So it's effectively a free upgrade til then.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 4:46 pm

Programs: Aadvantage
Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
Called in again today, told me they had no idea when I could upgrade, maybe in 3 months. I was really counting on the 10k EQM, this sucks.
I have been told that the 10K anniversary bonus is my Silver upgrade barrier and that I should be able to upgrade once that has posted (my anniversary date is at the end of July). You should be able to check to see whether the anniversary bonus is on your account... go to your account page on the Barclay's website click on the "View Rewards" link and then click on the "How my rewards work" link. On my account I see "Earn 10,000 AAdvantage annual anniversary miles after payment of the annual fee" in the list of rewards (detailed instructions and images are posted here).

Also, I've found that if I ask to speak to someone in "retention" when I get through to a rep I'm generally connected to someone who seems to have access to more information and is less likely to shoot from the hip than the front line staff.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 4:49 pm

I may try that, but my problem is similar to what others have seen. My anniversary was in March, so I already am past that barrier.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 5:06 pm

Programs: Aadvantage
I may try that, but my problem is similar to what others have seen. My anniversary was in March, so I already am past that barrier.
Did you get a 10K bonus after your anniversary? Based on this post that might explain why you are unable to upgrade now.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 6:56 pm

Well if you already had your anniversary this year, you got the 10k bonus, which I did. I'll call retention in the next few days because it is BS that anniversary date is the determining factor as to who can upgrade.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by Scsweet
I have been told that the 10K anniversary bonus is my Silver upgrade barrier and that I should be able to upgrade once that has posted (my anniversary date is at the end of July).
That may be true. I don't have the 10k anniversary bonus. My anniversary is this month. I called yesterday and I am eligible for the upgrade. She assured me I will also not lose the current 15k bonus on $500 spend on Jul-Aug-Sep offer if I upgrade.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 11:17 pm

Unhappy

Well if you already had your anniversary this year, you got the 10k bonus, which I did. I'll call retention in the next few days because it is BS that anniversary date is the determining factor as to who can upgrade.
Does anyone know if anyone has been upgraded from Red to Silver and applied for a benefit like;

"Global Entry Application Fee Credit: Pay for the $100 Global Entry application fee with your card and you'll automatically receive a $100 statement credit 2-3 weeks after your transaction".

.....and actually received the credit to their account?..this would prove that you are Silver and receiving a Silver benefit....now. Maybe there is some other way to know if you are actually "Silver", as Barclay's CS does not seem to know what is going on.

In my case, they claim they will need a "lot more time" to figure out what they have done. Thank the powers that be that I realized this was a possible Fubar and didn't use the card too much recently........so, the bottom line is I really am not going to get upset, regardless of their decision and time waster.........

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.