Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Any success upgrading Barclays AA Aviator Red MC to AA Aviator Silver World Elite MC?

Old Jul 20, 2015, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
See also, this thread in the US Airways forum:
New AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards from BarclayCard (US targeted)

Differences between Red and Silver card


Any Aviator cardholders always had the option to upgrade to Silver. You just had to call Barclaycard and pay the $195 annual fee. Beyond that, there's nothing "exclusive" about it.

In short, it depends on if the extra $100/year annual fee the silver card has over the red is justified by the following benefits the silver card has over the red:

5000 EQM after $20k annual spend
Companion certificate after $30k annual spend
Another 5000 EQM after $40k annual spend
3 miles per dollar charged on AA purchases
Global entry reimbursement

Above copied from patmcpsu's post.
Print Wikipost

Any success upgrading Barclays AA Aviator Red MC to AA Aviator Silver World Elite MC?

Old Nov 30, 2016, 11:24 am
  #316  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Posts: 2,566
Any recent datapoints on how fast the EQM posts after upgrade/spend met? I had put $20k spend on the Red, upgraded to Silver on 11/5, which was delayed until 11/24 statement cut, no EQM yet. Also the EQM tracker is nowhere to be found but the companion cert tracker is viewable. TIA.

Update: 5k eqm showed up on 12/1 with a posting date of 11/30.

Last edited by frudd38; Dec 2, 2016 at 2:19 pm
frudd38 is offline  
Old Jan 5, 2017, 3:48 pm
  #317  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Programs: AA Plat, WN CP, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, Club Carlson Gold
Posts: 35
I just called to upgrade my Red card to a Silver one, and was told I didn't have an upgrade offer listed on my account? Anyone else experience this? I'd really like to get the card for the EQD waiver, but for some reason it doesn't seem like I can upgrade it at the moment. For reference, I've had the card since 2015 and have often seen the offer posted in my account online before.
OKCtraveler is offline  
Old Jan 5, 2017, 8:27 pm
  #318  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 333
Originally Posted by OKCtraveler
I just called to upgrade my Red card to a Silver one, and was told I didn't have an upgrade offer listed on my account? Anyone else experience this? I'd really like to get the card for the EQD waiver, but for some reason it doesn't seem like I can upgrade it at the moment. For reference, I've had the card since 2015 and have often seen the offer posted in my account online before.
Strange.

I had a similar experience trying to downgrade from Black to Titanium (on perhaps the last useful "premium" card out there).

They said I couldn't because the offer wasn't listed on my account.

Makes no sense. Upgrades/downgrades shouldn't need offers. I don't want any bonus points!
GrnLantern is offline  
Old Feb 1, 2017, 12:51 pm
  #319  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NYC
Programs: AA EXP, IHG PL, SPG G, MR G, HH G, CC G, AMEX PL
Posts: 1,465
From my phone conversation with a supervisor at Barclaycard yesterday:
  • You can upgrade Red to Silver after 90 days of using Red.
  • The spend that you'd accumulate prior to the upgrade will "roll over" to Silver.
  • You annual fee date would be the same as Red would have been essentially giving you Silver for the rest of the year at the price of Red.
foxberg is offline  
Old Feb 14, 2017, 5:19 am
  #320  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 65
Upgrade to Aviator Silver still getting 10K anniversary miles?

Anyone previously had red card with 10K anniversary miles. Now upgrade to Aviator Silver still getting this 10K miles?
gcja is offline  
Old Feb 22, 2017, 1:30 pm
  #321  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 208
can anyone confirm if I spend 50,000 on the red card now, I will get 3k EQD, and once I upgrade to the silver, the spending will transfer and I will get another 3k EQD then?
longmanzz is offline  
Old Mar 6, 2017, 8:19 am
  #322  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: WAS
Programs: AA Ex Plt
Posts: 1,630
A couple of questions:

1. Is there an answer re 10K after upgrading? I've read of mixed results, mostly a loss of the 10K. Is this a YMMV or HUACA?

2. Rollover spend. How does that work --- for example, for purposes of AA EDQ the calendar year rules - correct? For purposes of Barclay card spend, does that apply too or is it the billing date of the card year (for example July 1)? I ask because 50K in spend for a calendar year will earn 6k AA EQD but if it's not during the card year, one will not receive the card benefits for that amount of spend re 10K EQM.

3. As per 2 above, if the dates are different, has anyone had any luck changing the card date to match the calendar year? (or something more reasonable than a mid-year change?)

Cheers

Originally Posted by foxberg
From my phone conversation with a supervisor at Barclaycard yesterday:
  • You can upgrade Red to Silver after 90 days of using Red.
  • The spend that you'd accumulate prior to the upgrade will "roll over" to Silver.
  • You annual fee date would be the same as Red would have been essentially giving you Silver for the rest of the year at the price of Red.
Originally Posted by gcja
Anyone previously had red card with 10K anniversary miles. Now upgrade to Aviator Silver still getting this 10K miles?
thegrailer is offline  
Old May 2, 2017, 9:18 pm
  #323  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 208
Does upgrading from Aviator red to silver reset spending history

I have already met 25k spending on the red card so getting $3k eqd.
I was under the impression that upgrading silver will keep that history so another 25k spending after upgrade will net me another 3k eqd, until, a phone agent from Barclay told me otherwise, that I need 50k spending.

Does anyone know concrete example one way or the other?
longmanzz is offline  
Old May 3, 2017, 4:14 pm
  #324  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ZOA, SFO, HKG
Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Posts: 13,811
Originally Posted by longmanzz
Does anyone know concrete example one way or the other?
EQD is new to AA in this year, so does the EQD reduction from Barclays.

No one can give you a concrete answer.

Check with both sides and see.
garykung is offline  
Old Jun 4, 2017, 2:55 pm
  #325  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: MIA and VRN
Programs: SEN LH Hyatt Globalist AA EXP
Posts: 612
Originally Posted by longmanzz
can anyone confirm if I spend 50,000 on the red card now, I will get 3k EQD, and once I upgrade to the silver, the spending will transfer and I will get another 3k EQD then?
I am trying to get an answer on this, and also if the spend made this year on the red will roll over the silver after the upgrade, to qualify for the EQM as well.
I called them and the rep did not know. After a while she told me no, counting will start from scratch, but I don't think that she was sure about it.
afmiami is offline  
Old Jun 5, 2017, 7:36 am
  #326  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: MIA and VRN
Programs: SEN LH Hyatt Globalist AA EXP
Posts: 612
Originally Posted by afmiami
I am trying to get an answer on this, and also if the spend made this year on the red will roll over the silver after the upgrade, to qualify for the EQM as well.
I called them and the rep did not know. After a while she told me no, counting will start from scratch, but I don't think that she was sure about it.
I've got clarifications from their online support:
Thank you for contacting us regarding your AAdvantage Aviator Red World MasterCard. We can certainly address your inquiry regarding upgrading your account.

At this time, we are pleased to inform you that when you upgrade to the Silver card, we do take into account all spend on your account within the calendar year.
afmiami is offline  
Old Jun 5, 2017, 3:55 pm
  #327  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SNA
Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Posts: 1,196
Originally Posted by OKCtraveler
I just called to upgrade my Red card to a Silver one, and was told I didn't have an upgrade offer listed on my account? Anyone else experience this?
Yes, I just called Barclaycard and was told the exact same line. "No upgrade offer listed on account" - I have had an Aviator Red for just about 90 days.
ralphs is offline  
Old Jun 10, 2017, 3:24 pm
  #328  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NYC
Programs: AA EXP, IHG PL, SPG G, MR G, HH G, CC G, AMEX PL
Posts: 1,465
Originally Posted by garykung
EQD is new to AA in this year, so does the EQD reduction from Barclays.

No one can give you a concrete answer.

Check with both sides and see.
Originally Posted by afmiami
I am trying to get an answer on this, and also if the spend made this year on the red will roll over the silver after the upgrade, to qualify for the EQM as well.
I called them and the rep did not know. After a while she told me no, counting will start from scratch, but I don't think that she was sure about it.
Spend for EQM and EQD will transfer after the upgrade from Red To Silver.
foxberg is offline  
Old Oct 7, 2017, 4:54 am
  #329  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 22
Has anyone been able to get the annual fee waived on the Silver?
Snowycali is offline  
Old Oct 18, 2017, 5:17 am
  #330  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Posts: 1,380
I have an offer to upgrade to Silver (old US Airways card with the annual 10K mile bonus), and unlike previous offers, I see no mention of the 10K bonus being revoked upon carrying out the upgrade.

Is this just an oversight, or have they sweetened the upgrade terms?

EDIT: Sorry, take that back! Noticed this on the next screen: Please note that by choosing to upgrade, you will no longer be eligible to receive the $100 Flight Discount or the 10,000 anniversary miles available through your current reward program.

Last edited by moe8555; Oct 18, 2017 at 5:23 am
moe8555 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.