Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Any success upgrading Barclays AA Aviator Red MC to AA Aviator Silver World Elite MC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2015, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
See also, this thread in the US Airways forum:
New AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards from BarclayCard (US targeted)

Differences between Red and Silver card

Any Aviator cardholders always had the option to upgrade to Silver. You just had to call Barclaycard and pay the $195 annual fee. Beyond that, there's nothing "exclusive" about it.

In short, it depends on if the extra $100/year annual fee the silver card has over the red is justified by the following benefits the silver card has over the red:

5000 EQM after $20k annual spend
Companion certificate after $30k annual spend
Another 5000 EQM after $40k annual spend
3 miles per dollar charged on AA purchases
Global entry reimbursement

Above copied from patmcpsu's post.
Print Wikipost

Any success upgrading Barclays AA Aviator Red MC to AA Aviator Silver World Elite MC?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:32 pm

Awesome, my US Airways card has turned into the Aviator Red upon login to the site. Now I just have to wait for the card to arrive.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver (Thanks Marriott!), Marriott Lifetime Titanium & Hyatt Globalist
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but I can confirm that spend on the former U.S. air master card as well as the red card does carry over to annual spend requirements for EQM bonus.

I looked under reward activity and my total YTD spend is from 1/1/2015 and I have already earned 5k EQM (I am $742 away from the remaining 5k!), which should be in my AA account in a few weeks. Here's what it states for EQM:

When you reach $20,000 in spending on purchases in a calendar year (transaction date of January 1st to December 31st) with your AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver MasterCard® you will earn 5,000 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs). You will earn an additional 5,000 AAdvantage® EQMs each calendar year when you reach $40,000 in spending on purchases with your Account. EQMs are earned on purchases, excluding returned goods and services. Cash Advances, Convenience Checks, transferred balances, credits, fees and interest charges are not eligible. EQMs earned as a result of this offer will be typically posted to the primary Cardmember’s AAdvantage® account 6-8 weeks after meeting the spend requirement.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 1:10 pm

Got mine upgraded today. Called the number back of the card and asked if I was eligible for Silver and the relationship manager said it was. After the disclosure verbiage was relayed to me, it was upgraded.

I have had my card since jan of this year when it was the dividend card. When I called last month, they said I needed to wait until I received my new Aviator Red card and then call back. I got my card in yesterday. Maybe have put about 5k on the card in the last 6 months.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 1:20 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
When is your anniversary date?
Old Jul 2, 2015, 1:23 pm

not until january of 2016
Old Jul 2, 2015, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; Marriott Plat; HHonors Diamond; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Chewie
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but I can confirm that spend on the former U.S. air master card as well as the red card does carry over to annual spend requirements for EQM bonus.

I looked under reward activity and my total YTD spend is from 1/1/2015 and I have already earned 5k EQM (I am $742 away from the remaining 5k!), which should be in my AA account in a few weeks. .
I have been working with customer care for the past 4 days on this topic. After about 8 back and forth secure message cycles, I just got the same confirmation today that my spend since January counts even though my Silver card does not start until 7/11. I too will likely be over 40K once my card arrives.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 1:11 pm

Programs: Lufthansa
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by ZetaToplover
Does anyone know if anyone has been upgraded from Red to Silver and applied for a benefit like;

"Global Entry Application Fee Credit: Pay for the $100 Global Entry application fee with your card and you'll automatically receive a $100 statement credit 2-3 weeks after your transaction".

.....and actually received the credit to their account?..this would prove that you are Silver and receiving a Silver benefit....now. Maybe there is some other way to know if you are actually "Silver", as Barclay's CS does not seem to know what is going on.

In my case, they claim they will need a "lot more time" to figure out what they have done. Thank the powers that be that I realized this was a possible Fubar and didn't use the card too much recently........so, the bottom line is I really am not going to get upset, regardless of their decision and time waster.........
continuing:

....just got this in secure mail;

Dear J. Carvalho,

Thank you for contacting us regarding your AAdvantage Aviator Red World MasterCard.

We understand your concerns and apologize if you have received anything less than superior service from us. We strive for excellence and appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with this feedback. Please know it can take up to 30-45 days before the entire account is updated. We are truly sorry to say there is not a way to streamline this process.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Sincerely,

Customer Care

43 years of credit card use.....never have I seen a situation like this.......this is with two e-mails and a postal letter saying the account is now silver and to start using the benefits. Again, I didn't and won't.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 6:52 pm

Programs: Aadvantage
continuing:

43 years of credit card use.....never have I seen a situation like this.......this is with two e-mails and a postal letter saying the account is now silver and to start using the benefits. Again, I didn't and won't.
I have to agree that the Barclay's management of this transition has been atrocious and can sympathize with your frustration. I've found that the only way I can get anyone who provides reasonable and consistent answers is to ask to speak with someone in "retention" at the beginning of the call. And even then when pushed as to why Barclay's can't upgrade my account because of the 10K anniversary bonus they tell me that American' Airlines won't let them (of course the AAdvantage CSRs want no part of that).

I wonder whether somehow your account was flagged as upgradable by mistake and even though their system generated the emails / snail mail now they are backtracking. Does your Aviator Red account show the 10K anniversary bonus? If so, that might help to explain your situation.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 7:37 am

Cool

Originally Posted by Scsweet
I have to agree that the Barclay's management of this transition has been atrocious and can sympathize with your frustration. I've found that the only way I can get anyone who provides reasonable and consistent answers is to ask to speak with someone in "retention" at the beginning of the call. And even then when pushed as to why Barclay's can't upgrade my account because of the 10K anniversary bonus they tell me that American' Airlines won't let them (of course the AAdvantage CSRs want no part of that).

I wonder whether somehow your account was flagged as upgradable by mistake and even though their system generated the emails / snail mail now they are backtracking. Does your Aviator Red account show the 10K anniversary bonus? If so, that might help to explain your situation.
Anniversary is in October. You are probably correct in that this is a mistake that they are backtracking. Initially it was just too easy to get the upgrade..........I wanted it because it came with a U.S. based customer service number and I had just had another experience with a Philippine call center on a separate set of issues with another card (a chargeback that they couldn't get right - finally fixed).
Old Jul 7, 2015, 9:36 am

Anniversary is in October. You are probably correct in that this is a mistake that they are backtracking. Initially it was just too easy to get the upgrade..........I wanted it because it came with a U.S. based customer service number and I had just had another experience with a Philippine call center on a separate set of issues with another card (a chargeback that they couldn't get right - finally fixed).
....just got another letter in the post.........it asks me to call them for an update.......I called the U.S cs #........got the Philippines (so this is a lie.......if the US center is busy the calls are routed to the Philippines regardless of "status")..female employee did not know why I got the letter......said I was "Silver" and "Red"........would take up to 8 weeks to fix........I terminated call. New United Club Card coming in the mail!!..thank you FT.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 11:23 pm

....just got another letter in the post.........it asks me to call them for an update.......I called the U.S cs #........got the Philippines (so this is a lie.......if the US center is busy the calls are routed to the Philippines regardless of "status")..female employee did not know why I got the letter......said I was "Silver" and "Red"........would take up to 8 weeks to fix........I terminated call. New United Club Card coming in the mail!!..thank you FT.
BTW, I received the United Club Card by next day UPS......a total of 3 days after I filled out the application!! I called Chase to straighten out a couple of issues, like the waiving of a fee on FF miles to book a flight within the 21 day window, which is a benefit. It was immediately taken care of, as was the rest of my requests. The customer service agent was polite and knowledgeable and provided a great customer service experience. I guess the moral of the story is you get what you pay for. So far I am super happy with the Club Card, not so much with Barclay's!!
Old Jul 8, 2015, 6:27 pm

Programs: Kettle Class
Can anyone who's already received the Silver WEMC confirm that the T&C for the companion fare are identical to that of the old US Airways MC product despite the minimum spend requirement?

Much appreciated.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by progapanda
Can anyone who's already received the Silver WEMC confirm that the T&C for the companion fare are identical to that of the old US Airways MC product despite the minimum spend requirement?

Much appreciated.
It's not identical, atleast in so much as the new ones can't be used for flights to Canada. More than that, I'm not sure.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 12:55 pm

Mission Complete

A few days ago I SM Barclays about a possible PC. Barclay write back informing me to call for this particular request. I got around to it this afternoon and the CSR was very quick determining my offer upgrade. The upgrade would be done today, card by mail between 7-10 days and up until August if I would like to revert back to A-Red. I do not have the 10K annual bonus card and my AF is waived via SCRA.

Once the card arrives, I'll be sure to call about the 15K bonus spend.
I'm hopeful that my account does not become dual colored. Time will tell.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
After 4 tries over 4 months I finally got upgraded to Silver via the phone number on the back of the Red card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.