Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Any success upgrading Barclays AA Aviator Red MC to AA Aviator Silver World Elite MC?

Old Jul 20, 2015, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
See also, this thread in the US Airways forum:
New AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards from BarclayCard (US targeted)

Differences between Red and Silver card

Any Aviator cardholders always had the option to upgrade to Silver. You just had to call Barclaycard and pay the $195 annual fee. Beyond that, there's nothing "exclusive" about it.

In short, it depends on if the extra $100/year annual fee the silver card has over the red is justified by the following benefits the silver card has over the red:

5000 EQM after $20k annual spend
Companion certificate after $30k annual spend
Another 5000 EQM after $40k annual spend
3 miles per dollar charged on AA purchases
Global entry reimbursement

Above copied from patmcpsu's post.
Print Wikipost

Any success upgrading Barclays AA Aviator Red MC to AA Aviator Silver World Elite MC?

Old Jul 9, 2015, 8:12 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List

Congrats, did you do anything different ?
Old Jul 9, 2015, 8:24 pm

So its been 7 days since i called and upgraded my red to silver. today when i logged in, the silver card shows on my account. How long did it take some of you to actually receive the card after the upgrade?
Old Jul 10, 2015, 6:43 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, VA Velocity, QF Frequent Flyer, SQ KrisFlyer, Sixt Platinum, Europcar Executive, Accor
I just finally received my Aviator Red. I got my US Airways card in March, so at the tail end of the application availability.

I called to upgrade and was denied, and told it may be available after a year of membership. I'll keep trying, and expected to be declined, but I'm wondering if any latecomers have been able to upgrade yet?

I suspect part may be I have yet to pay my balances from the last cycle. I'll give it a month and a 0 balance and see what happens. I really want the upgrade as I'll be doing a lot of car rentals in a couple of months.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by rwstrickler
I just finally received my Aviator Red. I got my US Airways card in March, so at the tail end of the application availability.
I would try back in a couple/few weeks. A few reports had the offer pop up a few weeks after you had received and activated the Red. You do not need to have held the card for a year yet, but frontline CSRs have no idea why the option to upgrade/downgrade is there or not.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
Congrats, did you do anything different ?
No, just kept calling....
Old Jul 11, 2015, 9:45 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Silver,Hilton Honors Gold
Yes, just keep calling, agreed the 1 yr thing is BS. In my case, physically having the red card in hand as opposed to "on the way" made the difference. After being denied silver several times, I called day after the red card arrived in my mail and sure enough, they upgraded me on the spot. That said, there seems to be no common logic here as to how you get the upgrade. For every upgrade there is a unique story!
Old Jul 13, 2015, 8:14 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by worldspan
In my case, physically having the red card in hand as opposed to "on the way" made the difference. After being denied silver several times, I called day after the red card arrived in my mail and sure enough, they upgraded me on the spot.
This. And it wasn't when I got the Red card via shenanigans. It was when their system generated a new Red card for me as scheduled.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 9:05 am

Programs: Aadvantage
Originally Posted by 869
This. And it wasn't when I got the Red card via shenanigans. It was when their system generated a new Red card for me as scheduled.
Another barrier is having the annual 10K anniversary bonus on your account (see here for instructions on how to check). I've been told that is the reason I can't upgrade in spite of checking all of the other boxes in their system (including having the system generated card in hand).
Old Jul 14, 2015, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold, Marriott Silver, Choice Privileges Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by iwazl71
So its been 7 days since i called and upgraded my red to silver. today when i logged in, the silver card shows on my account. How long did it take some of you to actually receive the card after the upgrade?
I am curious about the answer to this question as well. My account has been showing the Aviator Silver since last week, but still no card yet. Of course now that I posted this, it will arrive in the mail today...
Old Jul 14, 2015, 1:49 pm

I'm apparently being upgraded to Silver without me asking.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 2:40 pm

Incidentally, I heard elsewhere they are starting to put options to upgrade on your account online.

Originally Posted by Nevafazeme
I am curious about the answer to this question as well. My account has been showing the Aviator Silver since last week, but still no card yet. Of course now that I posted this, it will arrive in the mail today...
2 to 3 weeks here.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by nall
Incidentally, I heard elsewhere they are starting to put options to upgrade on your account online.

2 to 3 weeks here.
I posted on Reddit about being given the choice to upgrade online. I accepted it, and I got a message saying my card will arrive in 7 - 10 days (it did not say business). I'll see if it does.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Phantom707
I posted on Reddit about being given the choice to upgrade online. I accepted it, and I got a message saying my card will arrive in 7 - 10 days (it did not say business). I'll see if it does.
Wow! I just logged in to my Barclaycard account after seeing this and two clicks later I'm scheduled to be upgraded to Silver as of 8/4/15.

The card image on my account page still shows a Red card; I imagine it'll be swapped out on 8/4. The site said to expect my card 7-10 days after the upgrade date.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold, Marriott Silver, Choice Privileges Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by nall

2 to 3 weeks here.
Originally Posted by Phantom707
Originally Posted by chrisremo
Wow! I just logged in to my Barclaycard account after seeing this and two clicks later I'm scheduled to be upgraded to Silver as of 8/4/15.

The card image on my account page still shows a Red card; I imagine it'll be swapped out on 8/4. The site said to expect my card 7-10 days after the upgrade date.
Thanks nall. And very interesting new turn of events. Hopefully it'll be easier for everyone that wants an upgrade now.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
What's everybody's main driver for upgrading?

The EQMs?
The companion cert?
The 3x miles on AA purchases?

Just curious... Even if I'm able to upgrade I don't think I'm sold since I don't fly AA enough to hit elite even with the EQM and usually travel alone, so no huge benefit to me, IMO.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.