Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Any success upgrading Barclays AA Aviator Red MC to AA Aviator Silver World Elite MC?

Old Jul 20, 2015, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
See also, this thread in the US Airways forum:
New AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards from BarclayCard (US targeted)

Differences between Red and Silver card

Any Aviator cardholders always had the option to upgrade to Silver. You just had to call Barclaycard and pay the $195 annual fee. Beyond that, there's nothing "exclusive" about it.

In short, it depends on if the extra $100/year annual fee the silver card has over the red is justified by the following benefits the silver card has over the red:

5000 EQM after $20k annual spend
Companion certificate after $30k annual spend
Another 5000 EQM after $40k annual spend
3 miles per dollar charged on AA purchases
Global entry reimbursement

Above copied from patmcpsu's post.
Print Wikipost

Any success upgrading Barclays AA Aviator Red MC to AA Aviator Silver World Elite MC?

Old Jul 14, 2015, 11:15 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AS MVP Gold 75k, AA Platinum, SPG/Marriott Platinum
Option to upgrade showed up today!

Originally Posted by nall
Incidentally, I heard elsewhere they are starting to put options to upgrade on your account online.
Logged into my account and saw the option to upgrade under account options. Data point, spent well over 20k last year and hit bonus miles threshold that ended in June.

No brainier for me to hit yes, since I can bang both this and my Citi Executive to get 20k AA MQM yearly.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 11:50 pm

The online offer isn't showing on my Red card, but as I also have a silver, I'm not concerned.

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
What's everybody's main driver for upgrading?

The EQMs?
The companion cert?
The 3x miles on AA purchases?

Just curious... Even if I'm able to upgrade I don't think I'm sold since I don't fly AA enough to hit elite even with the EQM and usually travel alone, so no huge benefit to me, IMO.
I think most people here are choosing it for the EQMs and/or 3x/2x categories, since we don't know how restrictive or useful the companion certificate is yet. For those who fly AA frequently, this is the best card if you don't need an Admirals Club membership. Otherwise, you're probably better sticking with the red.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 4:29 am
jk2

Originally Posted by SJLandsverk
Logged into my account and saw the option to upgrade under account options. Data point, spent well over 20k last year and hit bonus miles threshold that ended in June.

No brainier for me to hit yes, since I can bang both this and my Citi Executive to get 20k AA MQM yearly.
I can see upgrade offer for my wife's card, but not for me. We both spent $20K this year (and last year).

Anyway, is this 100% correct, that upgrading to Silver from Red (with 10K annual bonus) card will eliminate this annual bonus?
Old Jul 15, 2015, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by jk2
I can see upgrade offer for my wife's card, but not for me. We both spent $20K this year (and last year).

Anyway, is this 100% correct, that upgrading to Silver from Red (with 10K annual bonus) card will eliminate this annual bonus?
I spoke with a representative before I accepted my upfront offer. I signed up with a 10 000 anniversary bonus for the first year (not repeating). She said the bonus would be maintained because the terms and conditions would all be maintained.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 6:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold, Marriott Silver, Choice Privileges Gold, National Exec

The EQMs?
The companion cert?

Just curious... Even if I'm able to upgrade I don't think I'm sold since I don't fly AA enough to hit elite even with the EQM and usually travel alone, so no huge benefit to me, IMO.
The EQMs. I'm all for being able to get 10K from Silver and 10K from Executive through spend. I thought I'd be using it for the 3x, but I think I'll stick with the Prestige for my AA purchases for now.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 6:15 am

Programs: Aadvantage
Originally Posted by jk2
I'm not sure you are going to get a 100% correct answer. I have the annual 10K bonus (not just the 1st year). I have been told that is the reason I can't upgrade and that once I'm able to upgrade that benefit might be maintained.

I'd be interested in knowing if anyone who has the annual 10K bonus has successfully upgraded and if so, whether your bonus for this year has posted. Thx.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 7:33 am
jk2

Originally Posted by Scsweet
I'm not sure you are going to get a 100% correct answer. I have the annual 10K bonus (not just the 1st year). I have been told that is the reason I can't upgrade and that once I'm able to upgrade that benefit might be maintained.

I'd be interested in knowing if anyone who has the annual 10K bonus has successfully upgraded and if so, whether your bonus for this year has posted. Thx.
Thanks. Probably, I'll hold off for upgrade for now. Our cards have 10K annual benefit, every year. I'm not sure I want to risk it.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 11:41 am

Programs: AA

The EQMs?
The companion cert?

EQM for me. And 3x on AA is nice.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 2:48 pm

Programs: Aadvantage
Originally Posted by jk2
Thanks. Probably, I'll hold off for upgrade for now. Our cards have 10K annual benefit, every year. I'm not sure I want to risk it.
Interesting - you mentioned that the offer is available on only your wife's account. I'm curious about what might be different to explain that. It has been suggested to me that I might be able to upgrade after my 10K miles are posted and my anniversary date has passed. Are your anniversary dates different? Thx.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 3:42 pm

Programs: Lufthansa
Originally Posted by ZetaToplover
BTW, I received the United Club Card by next day UPS......a total of 3 days after I filled out the application!! I called Chase to straighten out a couple of issues, like the waiving of a fee on FF miles to book a flight within the 21 day window, which is a benefit. It was immediately taken care of, as was the rest of my requests. The customer service agent was polite and knowledgeable and provided a great customer service experience. I guess the moral of the story is you get what you pay for. So far I am super happy with the Club Card, not so much with Barclay's!!
Just found this in the site; "Upon review, we show that the product trade has takes place. Please allow 35-40 days before the entire account is updated. We do understand the frustration of waiting for this issue to be resolved; however, we need to ask for your continued patience while we are working for the resolution. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause".

I have never (in over 40 years of credit card use) seen such a big deal over a card type upgrade or change. I believe the webmail is coming from their overseas office.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; Marriott Plat; HHonors Diamond; Hertz PC
Two points
1) I upgraded for the EQM
2) To hit the nail in the coffin on the issue of "does previous spend this year count towards the 20 and 40K EQM earning levels," my new account shows I have earned 5000K EQM already for my YTD spend. So yes it really does
Old Jul 16, 2015, 5:55 am
jk2

Originally Posted by Scsweet
Interesting - you mentioned that the offer is available on only your wife's account. I'm curious about what might be different to explain that. It has been suggested to me that I might be able to upgrade after my 10K miles are posted and my anniversary date has passed. Are your anniversary dates different? Thx.
I don't know either - we both have cards with 10K annual bonus. The only difference is that her CL is $10K, mine is $2.4K (recently out of blue Barclays decreased my CL from $10K to $2.4K - they claimed that due to many recent applications).
Old Jul 16, 2015, 8:03 am

Programs: AA LTP, UA, DL, HH, Marriott/SPG
I have one Red card with 10k bonus (10k bonus, AF and AF waiver posted in April). My wife has 2 red cards- one with 10K and the other without this bonus. The upgrade offer just showed up for her red account that does not include the annual 10k bonus. There has been little spend on this particular card and the anniversary is in October.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 5:29 pm

Just got my Aviator red card yesterday, paid off the account this morning, logged in this afternoon and boom! upgrade available to silver!
Old Jul 16, 2015, 8:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Any data points on getting multiple EQM bonuses from multiple Silver cards?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.