Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Any success upgrading Barclays AA Aviator Red MC to AA Aviator Silver World Elite MC?

Old Jul 20, 2015, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
See also, this thread in the US Airways forum:
New AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards from BarclayCard (US targeted)

Differences between Red and Silver card

Any Aviator cardholders always had the option to upgrade to Silver. You just had to call Barclaycard and pay the $195 annual fee. Beyond that, there's nothing "exclusive" about it.

In short, it depends on if the extra $100/year annual fee the silver card has over the red is justified by the following benefits the silver card has over the red:

5000 EQM after $20k annual spend
Companion certificate after $30k annual spend
Another 5000 EQM after $40k annual spend
3 miles per dollar charged on AA purchases
Global entry reimbursement

Above copied from patmcpsu's post.
Print Wikipost

Any success upgrading Barclays AA Aviator Red MC to AA Aviator Silver World Elite MC?

Old Aug 11, 2015, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by Scsweet
Not sure if you are aware but based on others' posts it appears that calendar year spend on the card prior to a Silver upgrade will count toward the EQM bonus.
I did see that. Thanks. So, maybe putting spend on now will pay off later -- but I'm not a hardcore manufactured spender, so there's a bit of a risk there for me if it turns out Barclays won't let me upgrade to silver before years' end.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by Phantom707
I was one of the first upgrades from this wave, and I had called in to confirm that I would retain my one time 10k bonus, which the representative confirmed. I then wrote in with a secure message to have it in writing, and they also confirmed it.

The strange thing is that when I had the Red card, I could see the 10k listed as a benefit in my rewards details. With the Silver card, I can't see any reference to it. I'm not too worried, though, since I have double confirmation, one of which is written and available to me.

Here is another data point in the continued disbursement of confusing information from Barclay's regarding keeping the 10k annual bonus when upgrading the Red card to Silver.

I called Barclay's regarding the 10K bonus mile benefit this morning. The rep I spoke with told me, after speaking with a "supervisor", that the 10K bonus miles awarded upon renewal and payment of the annual fee is not valid with the Silver car. The alternative is the opportunity to earn the 10K EQMs. The rep also told me they were essentially the same thing. Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha.

I have also written to Barclay's via secure message and have not heard back yet.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 8:41 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by tondoleo
The rep I spoke with told me, after speaking with a "supervisor", that the 10K bonus miles awarded upon renewal and payment of the annual fee is not valid with the Silver car.
I don't believe any Red cardholder with the 10k bonus has reported that they were able to successfully upgrade to the Silver card and keep the bonus, unfortunately. That being said, it would be nice if Barclays actually gave those of us in this situation the option to do the upgrade and forgo the renewal bonus.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 8:52 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
The Rep I spoke to said she was 99.999% sure we would be able to upgrade before the end of the year. She was a level 2 support person and checked with a few people.

It gave me some hope but I am not holding my breath.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 2:00 pm
CLG

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Circle
One new data point for everyone.

I have two Aviator cards, both Red. My first one is the one offering the recurring 10K annual mileage bonus, so I won't be doing anything with that card. It was my first Barclays card, so it has a rather low (for me) credit limit. I have made a handful of AA purchases on this card (mainly award tickets).

My second Red Aviator, which I got in Jan 2015, came with a much higher credit limit - roughly 4x my first Aviator. I have only used this card one time, to buy a $1.25 soda from my office vending machine. My original plan was to acquire the card, consume the sign-up bonus along with the 1st (and only) annual 10K bonus miles, and then transfer all the credit line over to my 1st Aviator and cancel the card.

Surprisingly, this 2nd card is showing the "Upgrade to Silver" offer on the website, whereas my first Aviator does not offer me this opportunity to upgrade at the moment.

Perhaps they are prioritizing the offers to upgrade to Silver based on your apparent spending power (i.e. credit limit)? It certainly cannot be based upon ongoing spend put on the card!

CLG
Old Aug 12, 2015, 2:11 pm

No, that isn't really a new data point. Your first one has the 10k bonus miles, which is what is preventing it from going to Silver. Your second card does not count yet because it hasn't received the 10k annual bonus for your first year. Someone already posted they could upgrade before getting the annual bonus.

That seems to be the key.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 10:34 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Gold
I've got two Aviator Reds, one of which has the 10k anniversary bonus. If I upgrade the other one (which I don't plan to keep past its AF in November anyway) to Silver and then use it for the Global Entry credit before canceling it in November, am I likely to anger Barclays?

I don't want to annoy them too much since I want to keep the Red with the anniversary bonus for a good while.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 5:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
No, that isn't really a new data point. Your first one has the 10k bonus miles, which is what is preventing it from going to Silver. Your second card does not count yet because it hasn't received the 10k annual bonus for your first year. Someone already posted they could upgrade before getting the annual bonus.

That seems to be the key.
Both of my active Red's have the 10k annual and both have the silver upgrade offer showing.

I know this is kind of far-fetched to ask, but has anyone received the 10k eqm twice from two separate Silvers credited to the same AA account? Basically hitting that $40k spend on two separate Silvers.

I know the T&C's says otherwise but looking to see if that holds true, as in the past with multiple US Air's you were able to get multiple 10k eqms regardless what the T&C's said.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 6:27 pm

Programs: Aadvantage
Originally Posted by frudd38
Both of my active Red's have the 10k annual and both have the silver upgrade offer showing.
That is very interesting. I have been told repeatedly that the presence of the recurring annual 10K bonus is preventing me from being upgraded (in my case the bonus shows up on the "how my rewards work" page as "Earn 10,000 AAdvantage annual anniversary miles after payment of the annual fee"). AFAIK no one with the recurring 10K bonus has reported being offered an upgrade either via phone or online.

Maybe they are starting to open up upgrades for this group?
Old Aug 28, 2015, 6:42 pm

Yeah, this would be the first report that I think we've had of this. Would it be too much trouble for you to double check to see whether your "how my rewards work" page still shows the 10k anniversary bonus?

Last edited by lkar; Aug 30, 2015 at 5:36 pm
Old Aug 29, 2015, 8:40 am

I hope it is true but fear he is mistaken.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 11:19 pm

That is very interesting. I have been told repeatedly that the presence of the recurring annual 10K bonus is preventing me from being upgraded (in my case the bonus shows up on the "how my rewards work" page as "Earn 10,000 AAdvantage annual anniversary miles after payment of the annual fee"). AFAIK no one with the recurring 10K bonus has reported being offered an upgrade either via phone or online.

Maybe they are starting to open up upgrades for this group?
Originally Posted by lkar
Yeah, this would be the first report that I think we've had of this. Would it be too much trouble for you to double check to see whether your "how my rewards work" page still shows the 10k anniversary bonus?
Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
I hope it is true but fear he is mistaken.

I just checked my "How My Rewards Work" on both and they do show the 10k anniversary bonus (thanks for this as I was just going based off my own notes, didn't realize it was documented on the site). I clicked on the upgrade option again and the Silver upgrade is still being offered.

Maybe it won't actually let me upgrade if clicking through, but I don't plan to upgrade this year so I cannot confirm unfortunately.

Update: After a closer look, I have two versions of the 10k on the two cards (one is first year only, one seems to be recurring)

1. Earn 10,000 AAdvantage anniversary miles in your first cardmembership year after payment of the annual fee. Now you can use your bonus miles toward any US Airways or American Airlines flight booked through aa.com or American Airlines Reservations.

2. Earn 10,000 AAdvantage annual anniversary miles after payment of the annual fee. Now you can use your bonus miles toward any US Airways or American Airlines flight booked through aa.com or American Airlines Reservations.

As mentioned, both are displaying the Silver upgrade option.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 12:21 pm

Thanks, frudd38, for the additional details. Can you tell us whether the upgrade availability for your "annual anniversary" card is a recent change or has the option been there for a while? (if the former, I'll be more optimistic that those of us who have thus far been excluded from the upgrade will finally get the opportunity)
Old Aug 31, 2015, 7:57 pm

Thanks, frudd38, for the additional details. Can you tell us whether the upgrade availability for your "annual anniversary" card is a recent change or has the option been there for a while? (if the former, I'll be more optimistic that those of us who have thus far been excluded from the upgrade will finally get the opportunity)
It's been there for awhile, at least 2 months.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 8:57 pm

It's been there for awhile, at least 2 months.
Oh well. I guess I won't get my hopes up then.

Thanks for the additional information.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.